Quantcast

• Create Account
91 players in 39 servers, 284 users online, 20 recent bans.

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Featured Partners

Why Not Switch To Discord?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

andrewcbaker

andrewcbaker

HG Recruit

• 123 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hey leadership,

Why haven't we switched to Discord for our communication? We could spend the money spent on the Teamspeak server for other things, such as upgrading our game servers or fixing Perp.

Thanks!
Posted Image

Jc.

Jc.

CS:GO Global Moderator

• 516 posts
  • LocationFlorida

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

nielsfalko

nielsfalko

HGCE Staff (Recruitment) | TF2 Moderator

• 756 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

we have already paid for this year so would be  a waste of money.
Posted Image

thanks mizz love u 3>Posted Image

Posted Image
thanks exite :))

andrewcbaker

andrewcbaker

HG Recruit

• 123 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

View Postnielsfalko, on March 16 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

we have already paid for this year so would be  a waste of money.

We could spend the rest of the year setting up a good Discord system. Ranks and channels take time to plan and set up. I have great experience with Discord and it would be smart to switch.

Edited by andrewcbaker, March 16 2017 - 09:15 AM.

Posted Image

Comic King

Comic King

HGCE Staff (Recruitment) | CS:GO Moderator (Jailbreak)

• 597 posts
  • LocationIn your chimney

Discord is kind of like TeamSpeak's little twin brother that does stuff a bit better... Everyone has one identity (unless they create mutliple accounts), servers are free to host (correct me if I'm wrong) and the voice clarity is much better than in TeamSpeak. Also, it would be easier to identify someone through Discord if they had linked their account to Steam, thus it makes finding your Steam friends on it a lot easier.

+1 good idea for the future, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already (or at least that I have seen anyone mentioning it)

Edited by Comic King, March 16 2017 - 10:10 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

S.P.link

S.P.link

Registered Users

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Since using Discord, I have thought the same thing of why we use TS>Discord, but just never questioned it. Unless there's a good reason, save dat $ and lets switch.

Edited by SPlink, March 16 2017 - 10:31 AM.

Posted Image

Enforcer

Enforcer

HGCE Staff (Events)

• 261 posts
  • Locationspaghetti

Discord uses a bit more ram then teamspeak
Teamspeak has subchannels

Discord does the same thing teamspeak does and a bit more. The voice quality is the same (at least to me).
Teamspeak has a dated ui while Discord has a very polished UI

One is free the other you pay
I'm sure if we did a massive world wide poll discord is starting to gain lots of traction on the voip market and more of the newer generation of gamers are starting to use it

Edited by FrostByte, March 16 2017 - 11:25 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ryze

Ryze

GMOD Division Staff

• 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

I think everyone is accustomed to Teamspeak and settled in pretty well. If its not a question about money then I would hope we stay and not have to change over to a system we have to set up again. But if it is a question of money then maybe it would be for the best?

For me though, Teamspeak is my go-to software. (Example: Easy to have 2 tabs open for Recruitment/Staff to be in their usual channel and their respective Staff/Recruiment Help Channel)

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I don't get it, so many questions went through my mind
I get sweated, they act like asking questions is a crime
But forget it, cause one day I'm gonna prove them wrong"

- 2Pac, Words of Wisdom

S.P.link

S.P.link

Registered Users

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

View PostRyze, on March 16 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

I think everyone is accustomed to Teamspeak and settled in pretty well. If its not a question about money then I would hope we stay and not have to change over to a system we have to set up again. But if it is a question of money then maybe it would be for the best?

For me though, Teamspeak is my go-to software. (Example: Easy to have 2 tabs open for Recruitment/Staff to be in their usual channel and their respective Staff/Recruiment Help Channel)

Just asking, how much work is it to "set up" an HG discord server, or for that matter, a server in general?

Not that it's that much of a big deal, I only use Teamspeak for the HG channel. I have 4 different servers/channels I frequent in Discord. Anyone else the same way?
Posted Image

Ryze

Ryze

GMOD Division Staff

• 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

View PostSPlink, on March 16 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

Just asking, how much work is it to "set up" an HG discord server, or for that matter, a server in general?

Not that it's that much of a big deal, I only use Teamspeak for the HG channel. I have 4 different servers/channels I frequent in Discord. Anyone else the same way?

I don't think it would take that long, it's just that someone would have to do it (can be a lot if they already have a lot on their plate). I just think the decision shouldn't be made based on the decision of people's favourite, it should be based on which has the features which best fits our needs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I don't get it, so many questions went through my mind
I get sweated, they act like asking questions is a crime
But forget it, cause one day I'm gonna prove them wrong"

- 2Pac, Words of Wisdom

Finch

Finch

CS:GO Moderator (Jailbreak) | HGCE Staff (Recruitment)

• 486 posts
  • LocationBanned.

View PostJc., on March 16 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Lord Homer Spotted in the Wild

If you have a problem with another admin the same rank as you, you go one rank up. You don't take it into your own hands. The only exception to this rule is if someone named themselves Jonsey and typed "!ban * 0" and tried to ban/kick the entire server.

Thanks to Ryze for the sig!

KingSlayer

KingSlayer

HGCE Staff (Recruitment) | TF2 Moderator

• 722 posts
  • LocationWherever they sent Ace and Kitty ;3

It was tested in my good ol days as staff and due to the lack of subchannels and the format of basically complete public messaging that would end up bugging everyone on it. Also discord has a hard time hosting the amount of people teamspeak can hold due to the compact nature of teamspeak.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
THANKS TO MY BAES/WEABOOS VENOM,ACU, AND WABBIT

Posted Image

SpawnMatrix

SpawnMatrix

HGCE Staff (Recruitment)

• 1,746 posts
  • Locationnear detroit kinda

Discord isn't great for large groups of people like HG has, it's good for at max like 50 people but we average 90-120 a day usually at all hours, so Discord would become completely cluttered and hard to navigate. and the permissions  system is so limited.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Suicide said:

Your next abuse report will result in you having a private sit down session, locked in a room with Iron Chef for 24 hours while he gives you a lecture on how to admin.

After that, if you still don't learn from the almighty iron chef, your admin will probably get revoked.
Posted Image
no

Maine

Maine

CS:GO Division Staff | HGCE Leader (Outreach) | HGCE Staff

• 1,810 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Canadian (BC)

View PostKingSlayer, on March 16 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

It was tested in my good ol days as staff and due to the lack of subchannels and the format of basically complete public messaging that would end up bugging everyone on it. Also discord has a hard time hosting the amount of people teamspeak can hold due to the compact nature of teamspeak.
We had discord for a bit and were not going back due to all the problems it caused. For the type of community we are, We need teamspeak. That's my opinion. I've always used teamspeak for my communities and I'd like it to stay the same.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Fortis

Fortis

Lead Director of Gaming Divisions

• 1,391 posts
  • LocationArcher's Chamji
We have a Teamspeak server up and running with all the channels and permissions set. Discord doesn't have the intense permission like Teamspeak does, so it would be very difficult making the tags we have. Teamspeak works and that means we don't need to try something new.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted ImageCredit for this amazing signature goes to Scrubbubbles!

View PostTvR.Frank-hg-, on March 21 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

i want to use my FreeBee i read the command this time for about 5 days reapeated and ill stop abusing and me Frank  i promess to stop abusing and usin my FreeBee for the ban of permanent infinity oh by slaying my self it was because i freekill arya i kicked by my self by accident press wrong number and about T-listen it was he was abusing killing us and he dindt wanned to be lead when he had a mic

Supa Dupa kjpski

Supa Dupa kjpski

HGCE Staff (Partnerships)

• 446 posts
  • LocationChicago Illinois, USA

We've tested it before... TS > Discord..... Plus Discord seems gross to me... maybe because I'm used to teamspeak but whatever... I'd rather stick with TS
Posted Image
*Made by Snowmaur*

Posted Image
* Made by TyGuy*

Posted Image
*Made by Lizzie*

Posted Image

blue :D

blue :D

Retired Leadership

• 686 posts
  • Locationdying in work with gigi not helping.

but can u poke on discord? checkmate
how do i get a signature?

This is definitely the most unprejudiced, impartial sig ever made

Posted Image

andrewcbaker

andrewcbaker

HG Recruit

• 123 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

View PostFrostByte, on March 16 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Discord uses a bit more ram then teamspeak
Teamspeak has subchannels

Discord does the same thing teamspeak does and a bit more. The voice quality is the same (at least to me).
Teamspeak has a dated ui while Discord has a very polished UI

One is free the other you pay
I'm sure if we did a massive world wide poll discord is starting to gain lots of traction on the voip market and more of the newer generation of gamers are starting to use it

Discord is introducing sub-channels in the next update, I believe. It was shown in their New Years' Day update as an upcoming feature. It's also, you know.. free.
https://blog.discord...9301#.uvcjsszfm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View PostRyze, on March 16 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Discord would be much better considering the features they have. Easy to access text channels and great voice channels, combined with the fact that it's all free (unless you want an animated avatar.) They are soon adding subchannels and video chat for group channels.

It's also extremely easy to switch between channels when needed. If someone in channel A needs help, you can stay in Voice Channel B and just help them through text chat. Vice versa, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View PostSPlink, on March 16 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

An HG Discord server would take some time but it's time that I am personally willing to take. I have extreme experience with Discord and I understand basically all there is to know about it. If we wanted we could even hook it in to the damn chatbox, it's not that hard.

View PostSpawnMatrix, on March 16 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

Discord isn't great for large groups of people like HG has, it's good for at max like 50 people but we average 90-120 a day usually at all hours, so Discord would become completely cluttered and hard to navigate. and the permissions  system is so limited.

There are servers with a few thousand members and they run fine. Permissions would not be a problem if we used a bot to auto-assign based on them linking their Steam to their Discord.

View Postblue :D, on March 16 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

but can u poke on discord? checkmate

It's a feature that could be suggested to Discord, but in all honesty Discord kinda mixes open chat and poking from Teamspeak. It's much more efficient. Also, does Teamspeak have a good friends system? checkmate

Why don't I create a test server so we can try it out a bit? I can set up full permissions and add anything we need.

Edited by andrewcbaker, March 16 2017 - 03:58 PM.

Posted Image

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

I Make Bad Choices

• 988 posts
  • LocationAt my house

Posted Image
Posted Image
Spoiler: Anime

Thomasjosif

Thomasjosif

Lead Director of Development (HGDC)

• 1,485 posts
  • LocationCanada

View Postandrewcbaker, on March 16 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Discord is introducing sub-channels in the next update, I believe. It was shown in their New Years' Day update as an upcoming feature. It's also, you know.. free.

Discord would be much better considering the features they have. Easy to access text channels and great voice channels, combined with the fact that it's all free (unless you want an animated avatar.) They are soon adding subchannels and video chat for group channels.

It's also extremely easy to switch between channels when needed. If someone in channel A needs help, you can stay in Voice Channel B and just help them through text chat. Vice versa, too.

An HG Discord server would take some time but it's time that I am personally willing to take. I have extreme experience with Discord and I understand basically all there is to know about it. If we wanted we could even hook it in to the damn chatbox, it's not that hard.

There are servers with a few thousand members and they run fine. Permissions would not be a problem if we used a bot to auto-assign based on them linking their Steam to their Discord.

It's a feature that could be suggested to Discord, but in all honesty Discord kinda mixes open chat and poking from Teamspeak. It's much more efficient. Also, does Teamspeak have a good friends system? checkmate

Why don't I create a test server so we can try it out a bit? I can set up full permissions and add anything we need.

You can setup a test server, we're not stopping you. It is NOT and will never be affiliated with HeLLsGamers. If we ever decide to move to discord (Very Unlikely) the server will be created by Homer. (The only person with permission to change our main method of communication to discord is Homer so this thread will mean nothing unless he see's it.) I suggest you PM Homer with your questions/concerns and he can let you know. As of now, it doesn't seem like we are going to switch to discord unless some people know something I don't. If you have any questions non-discord related feel free to PM me. Locking this thread.

/thread

Posted Image

Servers down? Check this before contacting me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users