Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Hellsgamers Website

TyGuy464646

Hello Everyone,

I have recently come across a challenge to help a friend create his own website forum on a Garry's Mod server. In order to create the wesbsite, I first need a domain. I've been looking around for one that allows me to work from scratch. HostGator and GoDaddy are all great domain hosts but I was wondering what the HellsGamers domain host was or if it even had one.

I was talking to Imperial Knight earlier today and he said that he thinks this site is most likely self-hosted. If the website turned out to be self-hosted, how?

Edited by TyGuy464646

Hey there,

I first need a domain.

This is a simple task that costs about $12/yr for a .com (other tld's like .club or .io cost more). You can buy from many diffrent places but from experience with 1and1, godaddy, namecheap, domain.com and google domains - I have to say the easiest one to get the job done is google domains. It also comes with free "private registry" which most others make you pay extra for. This means that when someone looks at who owns the domain your real name and email and address wont show up.

link: https://domains.google/

As for you other questions

I've been looking around for one that allows me to work from scratch.

So a little lesson on DNS and webhosting...

You have a domain like hellsgamers.com - this is a domain name that you pay to "own" per year. When you own it its yours to use as a map to where you want people to go.

You have a webserver like say a private server rented from linode - this is computer you have setup to run a website on. The computer is connected to the internet and thus has an IP address. For the example we will use 123.4.4.5

Anything on the internet has an ip like this but its hard for humans to remember numbers. We like words. So this problem is solved by a domain name. When you buy a domain name from someone you get access to a control panel that lets you point the name at whatever ip (simplistic examples here). So if your webserver is 123.4.4.5 and you want to use hellsgamers.com - you would point hellsgamers.com at 123.4.4.5. Then when you type hellsgamers.com into your browser it looks up the ip it points to and sends you to the right server.

Now big hosting companys like godaddy do all this in one place - dns, domain purchase, webhosting, email service.. and all that. But it works the same way as getting them separately.

• Like 1

if you want to make your own website you can get really cheap "shared web hosting" where you just upload your html/php files and point the domain to them. If you running something really custom or need more control (AND YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING) you can rend a whole server and set it up from scratch from a hosting company like linode (i have a preference there so i keep using their name but there are many options)

webhosting on average is 5~15/month. this is for the actual thing the website is on and is separate from the 12/yr domain cost. Some hosts give you a "free" domain with a year purchase of webhosting - but they tend to be the ones that charge you extra for private registration (something you want).

Should I do a google domain then?

Its up to you - in the end it wont make a difference functionality wise - as a note on google domains don't get confused with their other services called "google for business" that does email and stuff for 5$/month - thats not something you need for your website.

I use Dreamhost, you should go look at their web hosting prices or if you want to host a server then maybe get a shared or dedicated server.

I personally use siteground, for multiple reasons. The first reason I use it is their support for open and free security certificates using LetsEncrypt, My second reason for using them is the support of HTTP2 this enhances speeds on websites using new compression techniques. Lastly is cost their top end package on shared hosting if paid 12 months in advance is $143.40 every 12 months with free domain registration.

• Like 3

For my domains I use Hover.com

They have great support, a clean and sleek control panel and there are no strings attached.

A simple price for a certain amount of time. They think like the customer so I recommend them.

Second:

If you are hosting Garry's Mod servers, I recommend a low-end dedibox for a started or a decent VPS from a good company.

Dediboxes have been getting cheaper and cheaper although be aware that sometimes they are actually VPS, but if the specs are high the performance should be to. This is a better idea especially with multiple servers. Most servers cost more than £1 for each player slot meaning you are paying £32 for a 24 slot server if you don't look hard enough. Some gameserver hosts do offers for a certain amount of playerslots which can be less money if you are only hosting one small server for example.

This goes onto my third point:

Host your site on the Dedibox. This has many benefits including custom plugins and software modifications that may be required by certain websites. Most CMS systems that I've found myself needing need additional support of custom plugins that are disallowed by most web hosting services for their security along with one of my biggest pains in webhosting: MySQL support. With most sites today this is required as most sites have a login system. While most webhosting does support MySQL, they don't support third party MySQL meaning you can only use it locally. No outgoing SQL and no Incoming.

Let me put it to you this way:

• Your Garry's Mod Shop system needs a MySQL server? You will need to buy a third party MySQL hoster
  • Want to use SourceBans or some form of website intergration with your gamemode? Nope, not allowed. If you really needed to, you would have to host the SourceBans on a different site.

Having a VPS or a dedi allows much more flexibility and custom adjustments. Please be aware though, that you are unlikely to get support when Xampp fucks up or your SQL server stops working. This is something you will need to get outside help with or figure out yourself. Same with the Gmod server itself. You won't get support for it.

You also need to be sure that the hoster doesn't block ports, if they do you need to be sure that they will unblock them on request. My host blocks ports but if you ask they will add them to the firewall.

If you want a webhost, I've had a good experience with One.com although lately I have had a few issues regarding data increases that I didn't specifically ask for but for the 3 years I have been using them, yeah. I would say they are the best I've been with. They also offer Domain Listing Privacy although at a price.

Websites that I discourage personally due to dodgy sales tactics like hidden prices... well hidden prices....:

1&1

123 Reg

HostGator (mostly dodgy resellers)

Conclusion:

I highly recommend VPS or Dedi if you have multiple services especially if they need to connect with eachother.

It is better having everything all on one rather than having this and that all over the place. It usually works out cheaper also and they are unlikely to try and steal all your money. Webhosts and Gameserver hosts often try to offer to good to be true deals that just aren't good either meaning you are getting low performance or more money coming out your bank than you expect.

VPS and Dedi don't always perform well on certain things as they aren't optimized on web or game servers usually although doing this isn't hard at all. As long as you are sure what needs more RAM, CPU and all that good stuffs and you prioritize everything... You are set! Also be aware that if your server goes down, everything does but is usually resolved pretty quickly on most hosts.

I personally use https://xhosts.uk/ and they are amazing. Good performance and amazing support. No details shared across the web either... Also, I forgot to say, I'm pretty sure Hover give you free domain privacy, at least if it isn't, it's not that expensive as I never paid much for my domains, I have three and I pay about £20 a year for all of them... Or every 2 years I can't remember, but yeah. It's good anyway.

Sorry for writing everything like a bitch, but this should be quite helpful and if it isn't... my life is a lie... :C

P.S. Always avoid resellers or Free hosting sites for obvious reasons.

Edited by kn.
  • Like 2

I personally use siteground, for multiple reasons. The first reason I use it is their support for open and free security certificates using LetsEncrypt, My second reason for using them is the support of HTTP2 this enhances speeds on websites using new compression techniques. Lastly is cost their top end package on shared hosting if paid 12 months in advance is $143.40 every 12 months with free domain registration.

Dreamhost also supports LetsEncrypt, I use it as well. I'm not sure if they support HTTP2 but it comes with a CloudFlare plan so you get free caching as well. Hosting with any package gets you a free domain for one year