Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Sign This Petition, Save My Division And Save Openiv!

Comic King

As some of you may have already heard, Grand Theft Auto V has fallen in a state of deep shit.

Take-Two Interactive, the founders of the franchise, have sent termination letters to the developers of the OpenIV tool in order to stop development of all single player mods for the game.

If you're not aware, OpenIV is a tool that has been under constant volunteer development by a couple of people for the past 10 years. It has allowed every single mod to be installed into the game and used in single player and single player only. Apparently, the heads of Take-Two have noticed that certain people use this mod to search the files of the game more thoroughly and by that find files and/or objects, cars or entities that have either been cancelled or are supposed to be released in the near future. I, myself, have not seen any information on that as the players have discovered that it's possible to normally find these files by exploring the files through the simplicity of Windows Explorer.

I will not be saying much on this issue as I understand that most of you don't play Grand Theft Auto V. As this is my division and being the only member of it (self-proclaimed DL of this division) I felt the need to spread the word of what has been going on and to ask all of you pretty cuties to sign a petition that has been going on for the past couple of days.

https://www.change.o...mes-save-openiv

I would greatly appreciate if you guys would sign it. If you don't, as I said, I understand that you simply aren't a fan of the franchise and that it doesn't bother you as much :D This is one of the rare situations to show the power of the playerbase, to show that we, gamers united, can make a change.

However, I'm not encouraging you in any way to write a bad Steam review for this game as I think that will not only fail to make a change, but will also upset Take-Two even more and make the game worse even though the game itself doesn't deserve it!!!

If you've made it to down here, thanks for you attention. I appreciate it! :D If you haven't, that's still ok, you're still a cutie.

I was not hired by anyone to write this. As I've mentioned above, this was my intention and my intention only. I am not a friend of the petition founders (although I wish I were).

All of this was written solely by le moi.

Thanks for your time and hopefully you will follow me and many others to justice! :D

Cheers!

ps sorri forr my englis

Edited by Comic King
  • Like 3

To explain some of the points you made in further detail for the benefit of the general knowledge pool;

...certain people use this mod to search the files of the game more thoroughly and by that find files and/or objects, cars or entities that have either been cancelled or are supposed to be released in the near future. I, myself, have not seen any information on that as the players have discovered that it's possible to normally find these files by exploring the files through the simplicity of Windows Explorer...

This is quite common practice throughout the whole slew of games development. There's a common misconception that games are a case of "What you see is what you get", in the most literal term. If you can't see it, definitely doesn't exist. The truth is actually the opposite; quite a lot of content that doesn't make it to Retail (or LIVE as most would differentiate) isn't necessarily deleted. More to the point; most of the time it is left there. GTA V tends not to have much content that isn't in use in the game, so it's on the very tame side of this spectrum of "Only bits unreleased" to "half the GAME is unreleased". It's why that "leaks" really only happen due to insider information making it out onto the public domain for GTA V. If the alleged reason for this whole fiasco (which I have severe doubts that this is why they actually are doing this aggressive anti-consumerism) is that T2 feels that keeping the games' upcoming content that is pushed early to the IP (i.e the LIVE branch in this case) is that important that they'd rather keep it under wraps, then that's just killing 50% of hype right there, which would benefit no-one. Even they would know that's a bad idea.

...Take-Two Interactive, the founders of the franchise...

This isn't really correct. They have rights to the IP (from Rockstar Games themselves) but they aren't by any means the founders of the franchise. You have to go all the way back to DMX Designs, who originally created the Grand Theft Auto IP back in '97. DMX Designs became Rockstar North/Rockstar Games, the latter being the publishers of all their software.

...OpenIV is a tool that has been under constant volunteer development by a couple of people for the past 10 years. It has allowed every single mod to be installed into the game and used in single player and single player only...

This is also not really correct either. Many mods do claim they work in single player only, however a vast amount more are specifically designed to be total overhauls of the game, thus working under any circumstance. Also OpenIV is a great way for getting Trainers/Cheats installed, which is an unfortunante side effect of being a good Rockstar File Explorer.

This really is where the whole wagon falls apart, starts tumbling into the road and there's a lot of gore and guts everywhere. Change simply doesn't come by signing a petition and thinking that is that. If you want real, palpable change, be a prosumer, vote with your wallet. Petitions are just an overblown, over-depended on tool to voice a common concern. Combine that with a gaming issue and 90% of lawmakers just turn off right there and then when the word "game" is uttered. The honest truth is that unless one votes with the wallet, the decision is more dependent on the weighted bottom line.

What I'm getting at is the more plausible reason for this Cease and Desist being sent out; GTA:Online is the easiest thing to cheat on, and with a record slow response time to cheaters, it really puts the squeeze on T2 to find a solution, especially when a modder just spams cash to everyone, there's more damage in reversing the action over leaving what happened, happen. And it's been a long time coming. Just this morning, I launched the game just to see what was going on; three lobby invites in a row had at least two cheaters contained within. The damage that these modders cause is exponential per person affected. The internal economy has long been just thrown into the air, it's never really recovered after the PC version was released. The reason snazzy new features cost so much is chiefly because of this enmass amount of cashflow from modders. And it gets worse. This allows Shark Cards to remain so expensive, because T2 uses this hacked cashflow as a reason to cash in themselves. And average Joe isn't concerned with modding (probably doesn't even know what it is) and that's how it plays into their hands. This ban is to protect GTA:O from any further hacking damage as much as possible under the threat of legal action for any modder, which for most people if not nearly ALL of them is the one thing they cannot defend against.

Rockstar Games themselves have said a few times that they don't want to see the single player modding scene to die off, but when you have T2 overriding their show, you know who to blame.

• Like 2

To explain some of the points you made in further detail for the benefit of the general knowledge pool;

This is quite common practice throughout the whole slew of games development. There's a common misconception that games are a case of "What you see is what you get", in the most literal term. If you can't see it, definitely doesn't exist. The truth is actually the opposite; quite a lot of content that doesn't make it to Retail (or LIVE as most would differentiate) isn't necessarily deleted. More to the point; most of the time it is left there. GTA V tends not to have much content that isn't in use in the game, so it's on the very tame side of this spectrum of "Only bits unreleased" to "half the GAME is unreleased". It's why that "leaks" really only happen due to insider information making it out onto the public domain for GTA V. If the alleged reason for this whole fiasco (which I have severe doubts that this is why they actually are doing this aggressive anti-consumerism) is that T2 feels that keeping the games' upcoming content that is pushed early to the IP (i.e the LIVE branch in this case) is that important that they'd rather keep it under wraps, then that's just killing 50% of hype right there, which would benefit no-one. Even they would know that's a bad idea.

This isn't really correct. They have rights to the IP (from Rockstar Games themselves) but they aren't by any means the founders of the franchise. You have to go all the way back to DMX Designs, who originally created the Grand Theft Auto IP back in '97. DMX Designs became Rockstar North/Rockstar Games, the latter being the publishers of all their software.

This is also not really correct either. Many mods do claim they work in single player only, however a vast amount more are specifically designed to be total overhauls of the game, thus working under any circumstance. Also OpenIV is a great way for getting Trainers/Cheats installed, which is an unfortunante side effect of being a good Rockstar File Explorer.

This really is where the whole wagon falls apart, starts tumbling into the road and there's a lot of gore and guts everywhere. Change simply doesn't come by signing a petition and thinking that is that. If you want real, palpable change, be a prosumer, vote with your wallet. Petitions are just an overblown, over-depended on tool to voice a common concern. Combine that with a gaming issue and 90% of lawmakers just turn off right there and then when the word "game" is uttered. The honest truth is that unless one votes with the wallet, the decision is more dependent on the weighted bottom line.

What I'm getting at is the more plausible reason for this Cease and Desist being sent out; GTA:Online is the easiest thing to cheat on, and with a record slow response time to cheaters, it really puts the squeeze on T2 to find a solution, especially when a modder just spams cash to everyone, there's more damage in reversing the action over leaving what happened, happen. And it's been a long time coming. Just this morning, I launched the game just to see what was going on; three lobby invites in a row had at least two cheaters contained within. The damage that these modders cause is exponential per person affected. The internal economy has long been just thrown into the air, it's never really recovered after the PC version was released. The reason snazzy new features cost so much is chiefly because of this enmass amount of cashflow from modders. And it gets worse. This allows Shark Cards to remain so expensive, because T2 uses this hacked cashflow as a reason to cash in themselves. And average Joe isn't concerned with modding (probably doesn't even know what it is) and that's how it plays into their hands. This ban is to protect GTA:O from any further hacking damage as much as possible under the threat of legal action for any modder, which for most people if not nearly ALL of them is the one thing they cannot defend against.

Rockstar Games themselves have said a few times that they don't want to see the single player modding scene to die off, but when you have T2 overriding their show, you know who to blame.

Yeah but didn't DMX create Race n Chase first and then formed Take-Two out of which a new giant grew called Rockstar Games? But nevermind on that. Far more serious things are to be considered here.

You mentioned that petitions are a no-go. Alright, but how does using our wallets benefit the entire situation better? It's not like I'm supposed to throw in my money saying 'Please take this, I've sinned'. I know it's a rough comparison, but if you are just a gamer among others, this probably is one of the only ways to show disagreement besides shoving the negative review down their throat. It's in their interest to earn money and I think it's already a bad enough idea on its own to kill off the mods in the first place, no matter the reason.

Take-Two wrote a letter to those guys and as they said it was a letter written in a rush with some grammatical mistakes and whatnot with no reason other than mentioning what OpenIV does to the in-game files, exposing them.

I've used OpenIV. It doesn't work online. You don't get banned for using it. It shuts itself off as soon as Online is loaded. And from what I've seen, it is narrowly connected with some trainers, but most of them use the regular scripthook which is still in development, apparently.

Either way, things have not always been expensive, that is true. Prices have gone up in the recent time and it is the fault of the online modders. However, restricting the people that have done nothing more but make the better part of the community... That's a bit harsh and unfair... I think they should have terminated the development of scripthook or at least made an order to make it disabled in Online. But then again, it's both T2 being lazy and the game itself being played by assholes.

Also, I've kept your gif in my sig for a long, you should respect me for that you potato :)

As some of you may have already heard, Grand Theft Auto V has fallen in a state of deep shit.

Take-Two Interactive, the founders of the franchise, have sent termination letters to the developers of the OpenIV tool in order to stop development of all single player mods for the game.

If you're not aware, OpenIV is a tool that has been under constant volunteer development by a couple of people for the past 10 years. It has allowed every single mod to be installed into the game and used in single player and single player only. Apparently, the heads of Take-Two have noticed that certain people use this mod to search the files of the game more thoroughly and by that find files and/or objects, cars or entities that have either been cancelled or are supposed to be released in the near future. I, myself, have not seen any information on that as the players have discovered that it's possible to normally find these files by exploring the files through the simplicity of Windows Explorer.

I will not be saying much on this issue as I understand that most of you don't play Grand Theft Auto V. As this is my division and being the only member of it (self-proclaimed DL of this division) I felt the need to spread the word of what has been going on and to ask all of you pretty cuties to sign a petition that has been going on for the past couple of days.

https://www.change.o...mes-save-openiv

I would greatly appreciate if you guys would sign it. If you don't, as I said, I understand that you simply aren't a fan of the franchise and that it doesn't bother you as much :D This is one of the rare situations to show the power of the playerbase, to show that we, gamers united, can make a change.

However, I'm not encouraging you in any way to write a bad Steam review for this game as I think that will not only fail to make a change, but will also upset Take-Two even more and make the game worse even though the game itself doesn't deserve it!!!

If you've made it to down here, thanks for you attention. I appreciate it! :D If you haven't, that's still ok, you're still a cutie.

I was not hired by anyone to write this. As I've mentioned above, this was my intention and my intention only. I am not a friend of the petition founders (although I wish I were).

All of this was written solely by le moi.

Thanks for your time and hopefully you will follow me and many others to justice! :D

Cheers!

ps sorri forr my englis

Started reading this, then realized it was Comic King. Stopped reading at that point.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

we still have gta 5 as a division? but I still play modded multiplayer on GTA 5, I use GT-MP. nothing seems to be happening over there somehow. But what take two is being done is stupid imo like your just killing your playerbase.

We don't. I'm just the only guy in HG who has those GTA V tags on TeamSpeak. I'm also a self-proclaimed leader of the GTA V division :)