Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

A Tech Question

Chaotic_

My friend has been bragging about what type of PC to buy and I've been giving out some examples however I don't seem to get into this category of "Looks Good" and "Very Efficient" combined with a budget of $1000. Any help?

PS: Adding in a monitor with the entire bundle would be nice however not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Is he needing to run anything heavy graphics for his studies? Any programs that might chew a lot of memory? Or is this literally just a PC mainly for browsing the web and writing word docs?

He's going to be using stuff like Powerpoint, Excel, Word, Photoshop etc.

Regarding games, he likes Battlefield 1 and Battlefront, stuff like that.

Well thats not very easy with 1000, Photoshop is generally best with an i7 processor (those are $300 average)

Regarding games, Battlefield 1 is pretty graphics heavy (usually a 1060 can run it at medium settings, but a 1070 is best at minimum for it and 1070's go for an average of $400).

So combining the CPU and GPU is already around $700, and its nearly impossible to get the rest of the parts needed for under 300. So I would tell your friend that he should save up more money and get a better build then a crappy build for 1000. The most optimal build I can do is around 1400.

Aight

Regarding the games, I've been telling him that it's really hard, however, he insists on finding one for the price of 1k. I'll talk to him to increase his budget.

I mean an upgraded CPU cooler, not just a stock one. A stock one won't keep his CPU cool while playing games.

Sorry for the delayed response, but if you look at temps and reviews of the Wraith Spire (the 1600s cooler) it can handle heavy gaming and light overclocking. I don't think the upgraded cooler will be necessary unless you plan on overclocking.

Not really, temperatures sore up to high 60's degrees Celsius. That is pretty toasty for a CPU if you are just trying to game. Which brings me to my final point on this thread, if he wants to study and game. Go with a Intel, AMD is more for multiprocessing. It better suits running more applications and video editing. Intel favors gaming because of its high base clock speed.

but it doesn't favor some price points. The Ryzen 5 1600 has competitive statistics with Intel CPUs that are over $100 more (7700k). The downside might be 5 or 10 less FPS in a game, but with that $100 you could double your fps with a better gpu, more ram, or a cpu cooler.