Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

8600K, 1070Ti Build For Another User

Techmo

This is a build I put together for another user on another post. His budget was $1300, and I thought I did pretty well (Only needed the tower, no OS).

I'm pretty much a pro at overlooking important details, and was just curious if you guys have any insight, suggestions, or perhaps other parts or builds that would work better.

Here's a link to the original post: https://hellsgamers....ecommendations/

I know you just wanted some basic thoughts and suggestions, but i've gone ahead and included some extra info in case someone else might find it useful.

I've put some time into this. For the record, I have no bias for Intel or AMD, i've just picked what will give you the most bang for your buck.

For games, I do however find that the higher clock speed of the Intel 8600k over, say, a Ryzen 7 1800x works better for pretty much every game.

If you do a lot of video editing/rendering, I would instead recommend the Ryzen 1600x, 1700, or 1700x. (Which would require a different motherboard)

For $1300, i've managed a build with a 1070Ti, and an i5 8600k processor (6 Cores).

The 1070Ti should not be far off from a 1080, and should manage most games at 4k pretty well, and usually over 70 fps overclocked.

The 8600k is an overclocking champ, and you should have no trouble getting it to 5GHz. Some will go to 5.2, and if you're lucky, 5.3. The air cooler used wont let you get that far though.

For more extreme overclocking, like "watercooling required" overclocking, I would recommend more than 600w to be safe, but it's not necessary. I had a cheap 600W supply smoking after a 24 hour stress test on some beefy hardware.

Be Aware the i3 8600k, should you get that instead, is a rebranded 7600k, and wont overclock as well. It should manage around 4.8 to 5.0 GHz.

Here's a parts breakdown (and a link to the list on pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker...nn/saved/R3KNNG):

Graphics: Zotac 1070Ti Mini -- (You can switch this to a regular 1070 to save some money)

Processor: i5 8600k 6 Core -- (Overclocks like a champ. No real reason to get the i7 unless you do tons of editing and rendering)

Memory: 16GB -- (2 8GB Sticks) Corsair Ballistix Sport LT

Storage: 1TB HDD, and a 256GB NVME SSD

Power: Thermaltake Smart 600W -- (Should be plenty, maybe 700W)

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 -- (The P400 is a personal favorite)

Edited by Techmo
  • Like 1