Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

How To Fix Jailbreaks Population

Suicide

Greetings. I had to recreate a profile because I felt like I could contribute something as to the lack of population on the JB server.

I put the server dying on what seems to be inattention to the server and the quality of play. I see a few major problems:

1) The map is simply too fucking large and complex. Maybe when the server was completely full it made sense, but even then, I never liked the new CSGO map - it felt too big and expansive. Back in the day there were just a few places, eeven with a full 64 person server: S4S, Pool, Obstacle, Soccer, 300 Arena, Dungeon. Think about that - we would have full 64 player servers running with that small map, and it was great. The action was concentrated and it was a lot easier to lead. Moreover, with such a big map its hard for moderators to see CTs disobeying rules, camping, etc., unless they are spectating (it was easier to see CTs because there was a limited amount of space for them to run to). I found that the tons of games, etc., created on each version of the map took away from jailbreak what was the most fun about it: fun leads. I would return every once in awhile to JB to see what was going on - and it got frustrating as a T. Nearly every lead took us to roulette, that wheel of death thing, etc., and very rarely did I ever see an opinionated "what's your favorite cut of beef" day.

A more important note: if you are looking to repopulate the server, it's not going to happen overnight. So that means you're running a giant map made for a full server with only a handful of people. It won't be fun, even with 20 people. Again, I think the map is way too big.

Ideally, I would limit the map to what it used to be. Remove everything behind obs and kitchen. Remove all of the offices and shit above shot 4 shot, simplify the map. Moreover, for newer players, there would be less of a learning curve.

I would also like to reiterate that a smaller map means that it is much easier for mods, including both alive CTs, Ts, and spectators, to see CTs that are disobeying rules/don't know the rules and should be made to go T to learn.

2) Gangs are broken. JB is fun with gangs. They're broken. Fix them. And rep.

3) Drugs are broken. I liked finding drugs on the ground, they're gone now. Remember the christmas tree that gave drugs? Fun times.

4) Shop is broken/not paid attention to.

4) Muting all/talking over lead/etc.

Not 100% sure on this one but I felt like when I played most recently it was extremely hard to lead because people constantly talked over me without much being done by the mods in the server - I recall getting frustrated and leaving several times because of nothing being done by people talking over lead. Since I wasn't an admin, I didn't have that !mute option. I believe there used to be coding in the game that when the lead was talking, no one else could talk over him and everyone else was muted. That was some great shit. Hell, if that can't be put into the coding because of its complexity, maybe just giving the current lead the ability to !mute would be easier?

• Like 7

Greetings. I had to recreate a profile because I felt like I could contribute something as to the lack of population on the JB server.

I put the server dying on what seems to be inattention to the server and the quality of play. I see a few major problems:

1) The map is simply too fucking large and complex. Maybe when the server was completely full it made sense, but even then, I never liked the new CSGO map - it felt too big and expansive. Back in the day there were just a few places, eeven with a full 64 person server: S4S, Pool, Obstacle, Soccer, 300 Arena, Dungeon. Think about that - we would have full 64 player servers running with that small map, and it was great. The action was concentrated and it was a lot easier to lead. Moreover, with such a big map its hard for moderators to see CTs disobeying rules, camping, etc., unless they are spectating (it was easier to see CTs because there was a limited amount of space for them to run to). I found that the tons of games, etc., created on each version of the map took away from jailbreak what was the most fun about it: fun leads. I would return every once in awhile to JB to see what was going on - and it got frustrating as a T. Nearly every lead took us to roulette, that wheel of death thing, etc., and very rarely did I ever see an opinionated "what's your favorite cut of beef" day.

A more important note: if you are looking to repopulate the server, it's not going to happen overnight. So that means you're running a giant map made for a full server with only a handful of people. It won't be fun, even with 20 people. Again, I think the map is way too big.

Ideally, I would limit the map to what it used to be. Remove everything behind obs and kitchen. Remove all of the offices and shit above shot 4 shot, simplify the map. Moreover, for newer players, there would be less of a learning curve.

I would also like to reiterate that a smaller map means that it is much easier for mods, including both alive CTs, Ts, and spectators, to see CTs that are disobeying rules/don't know the rules and should be made to go T to learn.

2) Gangs are broken. JB is fun with gangs. They're broken. Fix them. And rep.

3) Drugs are broken. I liked finding drugs on the ground, they're gone now. Remember the christmas tree that gave drugs? Fun times.

4) Shop is broken/not paid attention to.

4) Muting all/talking over lead/etc.

Not 100% sure on this one but I felt like when I played most recently it was extremely hard to lead because people constantly talked over me without much being done by the mods in the server - I recall getting frustrated and leaving several times because of nothing being done by people talking over lead. Since I wasn't an admin, I didn't have that !mute option. I believe there used to be coding in the game that when the lead was talking, no one else could talk over him and everyone else was muted. That was some great shit. Hell, if that can't be put into the coding because of its complexity, maybe just giving the current lead the ability to !mute would be easier?

Damn son, that's bold. But I agree.

I feel like we are on the minority on this one, but the OG CSS map was simple and so fun. The game is a blast because of the people on the server, not because of the special features of the map.

Things change, and nothing lasts forever it seems.

It would take a lot of people investing time and money to have any lasting effect.

So this one time I mistakenly joined a hosties server ( aka jailbreak) server. It was just a map, it had no code.

I spawned ct and freekilled the ts in cells.

I got yelled at by this admin named BlueWolf.

I diddnt like him so I added him to hg ban list and started my own server.

I found code released by a 12 year old pretending to be a girl named bonbon. called jailbreak

The first random to join was named soccercrazy and he asked for admin.

I took his money to pay for a wow sub.

Friends told other friends to join them.

Fun people joined and made other fun ppl stay.

Mean people did mean things and a rule had to be declared.

then more rules. and more rules.

More admins were needed to enforce rules.

HG adopts jailbreak.

Bort pays for server for long time.

HG takes over jailbreak server.

and there was much rejoice *yay*

• Like 4

Well, you heard it from the man himself. Our creator has declared JB to be dead. :(

I don't think he declared it to be "dead," but just said that it would take a lot of time and energy invested by a bunch of people to make it work. Which he's right! But we are certainly trying, the past couple nights we've had success with population, and we've had a great coordinated effort to do so.

I will say I don't understand the "investing money" comment though.

The main issue (in my opinion) with Jailbreak is that you can't play with a minimal population. You need at least 3 people to play, one CT to warden and two Ts. Whilst it is then playable, it is very much far from fun. Yes you have time to do whatever you want in the map, but most minigames result in death, meaning most of the fun things you can do could result in you sitting there for five minutes whilst the other two players walk around aimlessly.

This is opposed to a gamemode like TTT, where even with 3 people there is always a goal, and people are actively trying to kill the enemy team and survive. Yes both gamemodes require at least 3 people to be properly played, TTT is a much easier and straightforward game to play. The fact that randoms often join to play TTT is another aspect, whilst there's not too many randoms on the JB.

As I've recently come back into HG, I don't think I've heard anyone say "lets go play jailbreak" or seen the server have more than 10 people playing, yet daily a group of no more than 4-5 people say "lets pop TTT" and they get on for 10 minutes, randoms join and it naturally populates itself.

While I do feel like different aspects of Jailbreak contribute to its lack of playerbase, I also feel like the members of HG don't really want to populate it either. I feel points that Consuela made were accurate. The Repmas tree is a fun thing, and whilst it is obviously for christmas/christmas in July, I feel like having random special days would make the game more interesting, as an example, such as making the repmas tree have a 1/100 chance to spawn. Of course this is something to keep population steady, and not to start it up.

As others have said, having traps on a daily basis to try and thin down the already small population doesn't help, especially with randoms constantly questioning why they've been killed. Most CTs I see play the game to try and kill the T population, doing traps every other order to try and have "less people" for minigames that don't require small amounts of players. They shoot people after 3 seconds of not following orders, and always go for the kill, instead of maybe choosing to just shoot them in the leg/chest with a pistol. If they're not running away there's not much need to try and kill everyone who isn't instantly moving. Rounds should be to do minigames, have fun, not see who can get more kills.

I feel like a big thing that could be nice is making gangs more of a relevant thing. Yes they give you nice speed boosts at round start, we now get trails and you're a cool kid for being in one of the top gangs, but I feel like throwing rep mindlessly into a gang to eventually get 0.01 more speed isn't enticing.

Just an idea, but maybe host clan games every month. Some tasks could be to try to get the most gang points (points you get for surviving at round win, correct me if I'm wrong) in a month/week however long, and the gang that wins maybe gets RNG one person gold account for a month, one person VIP, and one person like 5k rep. Of course prizes could be interchangeable to whatever seems balanced.

And I know, before anyone says, this heavily favours the larger gangs like Bald Men, but starting off thats the entire point. The people who are in the larger and more well known gangs are the ones who are typically the better players, they can lead, or rebel, better than most randoms that come onto the server.

Bringing Jailbreak back to life, (because yes, I am saying that from what I've seen it is currently dead) is going to be a task for the members of HG. There are currently 7 mods for Jailbreak and 2 staff members, and there's obviously a few Global Mods. Thats around 10+ people, who are all NA, that could try and organise getting on once a week and populating it for the day. I know jobs/family life can come between that, but the fact there's 9 people that have been chosen to look over the server, and aren't, is an issue. I'm not saying "oh you don't play jailbreak you don't deserve mod/staff", but if we're going to populate the server then they are going to have to have one of the biggest roles in reviving it.

Summer is, in my past experiences, the time that the most people come on and play, as there's no school, college, etc, so people have more free time. Populating Jailbreak before this time period to maybe hook in a few randoms so that they join during summer would be the best thing to do. If we can get JB back to a fraction of how populated it used to be (because I remember having to wait for there to be a spot to join the server), in time for summer, then that would be a huge goal achieved.

I feel like events ARE a big thing into bringing the server back to life. They don't need to be ones planned a week in advance, they don't need to have badges (Looking at you Brgr) or prizes. They can just be days where someone says "special rounds on the server at 5pm" or something, ranging from Hide and Seek, to Survive the Headcrab days (idk if there's an actual name, just know that a while ago Thomas made someone a Huge Headcrab, gave them extra health and noclip, and had to knife people on bigcage whilst surviving).

Also April/May is normally going to be a quiet time for game servers due to revision/exams, but I feel like it is much more quiet than previous years.

As somebody who played CSS/CSGO to get into Jailbreak, and with it being the reason I joined HG, it saddens me to not see it be populated. There was nothing more I enjoyed than waking up and getting on the server to play for hours. I seriously hope for the lack of population to not be for the foreseeable future.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been about a month since the last post in this thread. It's been about 2 months since this thread was started. I don't see any meaningful change. All I see is occasionally forced server populations for about an hour at a time. I gave you the blueprint on how to repopulate server by getting rid of all the superfluous stuff on the map to make it more user and noob friendly - and I would have been around to lead and help repopulate server. It's been summer break for awhile and people are available to play.

Extremely disappointed with HG and HG leadership for their inattention to what was once a well-run server that has been dying for years and ultimately made HG super successful (and 13 year olds would spend $10/mo on VIP/Admin). Shame on HG and their leadership for letting one of their best parts of the community shrivel up and die like an old man's nether regions. In the future, please remove my face from the kitchen because I don't want to be associated with such mediocrity.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Rep multiplier based on continuously getting LR

Fundamental mechanic changes and additions such as: Super LR

Gangs probably still need to be fixed/ Rehaul

Real RP changes: Authority percentage meaning if T’s win X rounds in a row they have gained authority in the prison forcing a coded freeday (giving new players more options when it comes to learning the map). Something where CTs can’t become warden for that round and instead Ts can teleport between areas learning them. CTs would likely control specific areas and are locked to them to continue being a “guard†and watching them.

If CT’s win authority, for one round buy menu is disabled and knife damage is significantly reduced.

Authority is then reset.

Non Mic required lead guard. !nlead

With population I don’t think this is arguable. This would not take precedence over the other lead command. Manipulate menus to give instructions using panels for pre-determined days. Gives options for server to have RP while in low population circumstances so that those who do wanna play can without having free days consistently.

Rep Reset. Anyone who knew me knew this was on my list of things needed. Not only does it boost HG’s economy but it brings incentive back to playing JB. (All dono rep is given back so stfu)

There also comes a time where HG has to decide if they can survive without the fundamentals such as JB. I have a feeling incentive is a lot of the reason that JB has died over the years, incentive used to be there for this game. I worked tirelessly moderating the server originally to gain free mod, moving my way up eventually to division leader. There was incentive, and the community understood how we worked. This is mostly intended towards the development side of the community, as I’m sure it has declined in respect to incentive to code. You don’t maintain a sales team without goal oriented bonuses. So why should you maintain a dev team as such.

TLDR we need salsa shack back

• Like 3