Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Windows 10 Users Beware

SherlockPwnz

A few people know this but for those who don't over the weekend this last weekend I lost my backup drive that I keep on my desk. The drive was a Toshiba Canvio 3TB Desk drive and plugged in via USB 3.0. I currently run windows 10 and had the Autumn Update come across. After this update is when I started noticing some major problems most of which are small annoyances but this one relating to my backup drive is huge. In the Autumn Update microsoft has given windows operating system complete and discrete control over any drive on the system. This includes flash drives and drives that plug in via USB. If it feels that the drive has errors (even if it doesn't) it will lock off a portion of your drive in a "Lost Drive" partition and however much data that takes up it subtracts that from your total space and then reformats your drive for the most usable space possible. I encountered this problem this last weekend when I lost everything (or thought I did). Luckily my girlfriend and I had purchased a program to recover our data from that "Lost Drive" partition. This is monumentally huge for people who use windows 10 because at any point in time windows can decide any type of storage drive has "an error" and wipe your drive without you knowing it. Be aware of your systems everyone this could happen to you as well. There are many topics that talk about this and so far microsoft has not acknowledged this issue exists.

I have a windows 10 laptop. Thanks for informing me of this problem,and does it do it when window 10 is on or does it do it regardless?

I am not sure. I had shut my computer down to plug in a DVD drive because my case is all tempered glass so I have no bays for my dvd drive. when I turned my computer back on it was all gone. I am assuming this happens at boot considering when I turned my computer back on instead of posting and booting right away it did a post and then restarted a second time posted then booted.

Or you know, set it to not update your computer

That's great and all but then you don't get things fixed that are wrong with the OS. I used to have that mentality before but my honest two cents. People shouldn't have to disable updates from their operating system manufacturer in fear of them screwing peoples systems up.

There's only one clear option, join the linux master race.

If Linux was decent for gaming I would. A lot of games aren't "compatible" with linux OS. Sure you could use WINE to emulate an OS launch environment but it has bugs and issues. Unless I have been out of the game for a while.

Wine works fairly well in my experience if you use the development builds. Although, if you want a refresh rate higher than 60hz, you still need to modify desktop.c in the source code for wine's dx11.

For steam to work correctly, you also need to disable cef sandboxing when launching:

wine Steam.exe -no-cef-sandbox

srry, this is a bit off topic