Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Serious Question About The Driving Test

Destroy

1)Ok so i failed the first time recently because i turned right on a red stoplight and i didnt see someone u turn and it was an automatic fail. Is it possible i can wait until the light turns green then turn right? Are they allowed to dock me for that or force me to turn right on a red?

2) when pulling into the curb i know should look to the right for blind spots do i need to look the left as well or just treat as when moving into the curb to the right treat it as a right lane change

3) when turning right and a pedestrian crosses the street say from your side of the right am i allowed to turn right when he gets out of the way say half way mark or wait until he fully crosses the street to the left side during the driving test

1. In California, you treat red lights (when turning right) as if it was a stop sign unless there is a sign posted saying "no turn on red". Therefore, if you do decide to stop and wait til it's green that's not okay, you have to go if you are able to go. Imagine you pull up to a stop sign and just sit there, it will mess up the flow of traffic.

2. Treat it as a lane change.

3. Wait until the person is onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street.

1. In California, you treat red lights (when turning right) as if it was a stop sign unless there is a sign posted saying "no turn on red". Therefore, if you do decide to stop and wait til it's green that's not okay, you have to go if you are able to go. Imagine you pull up to a stop sign and just sit there, it will mess up the flow of traffic.

2. Treat it as a lane change.

3. Wait until the person is onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street.

This man drives while smoking bowls after he picks you up from the airport, do not trust.
  • Like 4

id say during your driving test, just wait until the light turns green. they cant dock you for that

This.

Also in states like Maine, you have to come to a complete stop at ALL red lights. You may turn right on red if specified but ideally, the law would prefer you don't. Sometimes you can have a red light, but a green right or left arrow which indicates you cannot go straight at that point, but you may turn in the direction of the arrow.

In Maine, there is no 'left on red' because that is stupid.

Laws vary by state.

Having said that, definitely just do everything safely and 'by the book'. (Look up your local laws. There are also a lot of 'driving lesson help' websites, literally posted by the government. :) )

Oh also, try to brake slow and gently. Don't wander too far to either side of your lane. Do not let the instructor distract you, some will try.

Edit -

MORE INFO - Generally the tests have a set time limit because they need to get everyone done before the day is up.

Don't go under the speed limit, but if you don't make too many mistakes and run out of time generally that works as a pass.

I do delivery as part of my job, this is what I was taught by the instructor in school.

For pedestrians, there aren't really any laws governing how long you should wait, all you are legally required to do is yield to them, and not hit them with your car, or put them in danger. Your instructor will probably appreciate it if you wait until they are at least half way across the road, and you have absolutely no chance of hitting them accidentally.

Turning right on red, don't overthink it. Only turn into the lane closest to you (the right one), and watch for oncoming traffic. Turning right into the left lane is illegal, but everyone does it anyway if it's clear (don't do it on the test).

Turning left. When waiting to turn left, you can pull out into the intersection. If the light turns red while you're still in the intersection, don't reverse back into the turning lane, be ABSOLUTELY sure that oncoming traffic is stopping, then turn. When turning left, oncoming traffic has the right of way even if the light is red. If someone runs the red light and hits you while turning left, you are at fault. I found that out the hard way.

Edited by Techmo