Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Joining Hg While Underage

Kyle_

This is a question mainly directed to the owner(s) of HG. I want to join the community, but I am under the age of 13. I was wondering if there was a possible way I could send in an application and have a slight chance of joining the HG community? Again this is directed towards higher ranks.

Thanks.

-Kyle

As someone who has been staff, we've never let anyone under the age of 13 in HG on purpose. However, if CE was willing to let you in based on merit personally I think that'd be an ok idea. In reality, I don't actually think it's possible most likely because it would be breaching the privacy policy and then there are all sorts of legal issues. Council should consider it if it's not a problem with the law.

Edited by FoxHound

It sucks tbh dude, I've met a few cool people that wanted to join but couldn't due to age.

Suggestion for any higher ups: why not make a rank for people who want to be in the community, but can't/don't want to wear the tag. The purpose of it would be so that they don't actually join the community, but they would then still be able be a part of it in a sense.

The way to make this relevant, is (hypothetically speaking) if Kyle is 11 now, with two years of being supporter and no drama/bad history, he could go straight to being a member and skip out on recruit.

Bit of an eh suggestion, but it would be nice imo

• Like 1

It sucks tbh dude, I've met a few cool people that wanted to join but couldn't due to age.

Suggestion for any higher ups: why not make a rank for people who want to be in the community, but can't/don't want to wear the tag. The purpose of it would be so that they don't actually join the community, but they would then still be able be a part of it in a sense.

The way to make this relevant, is (hypothetically speaking) if Kyle is 11 now, with two years of being supporter and no drama/bad history, he could go straight to being a member and skip out on recruit.

Bit of an eh suggestion, but it would be nice imo

COPPA

Our current policy is that we require applicants and members of HG to be at least 13 years of age. As of now, there are no exceptions to this policy. This policy is employed at a global level—both in gaming divisions and HGCE Recruitment.

Unless a policy change is undertaken by Council, which is very unlikely due to the legal implications of allowing membership of users under the age of 13, you will not be able to join HG until you are said age.

TL;DR Recruitment (and gaming divisions) will not be offering any exceptions to this policy.

Even if HG Policy allowed children under 13 to join, COPP Act wouldn't prevent them from joining, it prevents the website/app owners from collecting personally identifiable information from them like their real names and such and also only applies to children living in the united states.

HG's age requirement should stay either way because removing it only complicates things futher.

• Like 1

As someone who has been staff, we've never let anyone under the age of 13 in HG on purpose. However, if CE was willing to let you in based on merit personally I think that'd be an ok idea. In reality, I don't actually think it's possible most likely because it would be breaching the privacy policy and then there are all sorts of legal issues. Council should consider it if it's not a problem with the law.

Let’s not try to be mean here