Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

My Thoughts-Insurgency Sandstorm

SherlockPwnz

So I have been involved in the Insurgency Sandstorm beta for awhile now. My thoughts so far aren't very great. The hit box de-sync is so bad (less then playable in my opinion); you literally shoot an enemy and you have to aim behind the players actually model at times to register that you've hit them, Constant frame drops on top of the unstable server performance makes it hard to even get a single kill. I've got multiple instances just while streaming where you can tell I couldn't maintain my aim due to the frames not being consistent or smooth. There are other times when I scope in with a sight and the input lag kicks up pretty massively. Now I am not a push over when it comes to FPS games, I generally maintain a positive K/D when I play fps games. Insurgency 1 for example, I am most of the time pushing my team to victory because I am able to hold my own in a gun fight, very often I am able to clutch when I am last man standing. This is by no means a fault of my own or my system seeing as how my system is pretty beefed up. Granted this game still isn't launching until December 12 I still don't see how they're going to make this game accessible to it's current community seeing as how the current Insurgency community is able to play due to the game running on the Counter-Strike Source engine. I still think at the end of this, if NWI (the game dev) can't fix some of the crucial things which are required to maintain a community, their community will stay with Insurgency 1. Just thought I would share my insight with the rest of everyone else.

• 1 month later...

I agree with you completely on this. I was a part of the alpha phase, and let me tell you that it ran better than the beta. My PC is a pile of crap (old AMD crap btw), but it was able to run the game at 30-60 fps, which was actually playable for me, and I was doing pretty well and could aim very well due to my experience in the original Insurgency. Of course, one of the maps had terrible optimization at the time of the alpha, but all the other maps were greatly optimized, and the game ran smoothly. Now with the beta, I can't even run the damn game! I get 20-25 fps now, and my game constantly stutters, leaving me to die multiple times over and not even being able to load into the game sometimes. As of right now, I still have the game installed, but I no longer play due to me just not being able to anymore. It's sad, since I really enjoy Insurgency, and me and my buddies were really hyped up for the new one, and I'm the only one who can't run it now. one of them has a pretty beefy PC, and even he has issues like you Sherlock. I hope NWI manages to transfer over to the Unreal Engine 4.20 soon and begin releasing updates, as I want to be able to play this beautiful game. I never really had any issues with hitboxes, but I do know why it has this problem. They use a hybrid hit detection system within the new Insurgency. The original Insurgency uses hitscan system, while other games like PUBG use an actual realistic projectile system. Sandstorm uses a combination of the 2. Hitscan is used when you're in close quarters combat, while mid to long range combat uses a projectile system. That's one of the main reasons other than the game performing extremely terribly due to poor optimizations. I really do hope they fix it soon.

You hit it right on the nail Iron. I've kept up with it and tried playing every now and then and it seems like these developers need to start spending a little more time on developing in unreal engine and the coders need to work on their coding. I think they probably took this challenge on too soon.