Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Yawning During Workout?

BroomzK

It seems that everytime i workout(lift weights and maybe some cardio.....maybe) that i always yawn, i always go with a partner because working out alone is the most boring thing, and a lot of the time as im spotting them or just waiting ill yawn, and sometimes i'll get the temptation too as i am actually lifting. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

BTW im drinking what i think is plenty of water, like 16ozs every 30 minutes or so, and my sessions usually last 45min-an hour

Couple things could cause this.

1. Nervous yawner. So you may get anxious and yawn. Like a nervous cough.

2. Stomach ache. I yawn all the time because of my stomach. It hurts in haves so when it hits I often yawn to avoid looking stupid.

3. You don't know how to breath when lifting and are needing more when you are at rest

4. U sleepy head

Yeah I've heard about the lack of oxygen, i think it had to do with a lot of times before when i used to work out, I was still smoking cigarettes, and maybe i just straight up didn't have the cardio to work out at quite the rate that i was efficiently enough.

How is this a theory. It was scientifically proven. Yawning happens when you're tired or you need more oxygen in your lung.

There have also been tests in which scientists have introduced different gasses into the air or reduced the oxygen in the room in which the patient sits with little to no effect. It's still not 100% on what causes a person to yawn. I have not done a whole lot of research in the way of yawning... But just a little tiddy I heard on the radio.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the real scientific reason people yawn.

I tried to put the youtube link to start at

seconds. If it doesn't work, just fast-forward to 0:36 seconds.

TL;DR: yawning doesn't have to do with oxygen; it has to do with:

• The temperature of your brain, or
  • You saw someone else yawn, or
  • You were thinking about yawning.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Proper breathing is a MUST. Studies have shown that holding your breath while lifting (which many of us are guilty of) puts a ton of pressure on your eyeballs and can actually result in a much higher risk of glaucoma as you get older.

As far as the yawning goes, I dunno. I will say sleep is probably the most overlooked aspect of fitness