Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Reapz Build - New And Improved

Reaper

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about doing a computer build in the near future (about 4-6 months). Therefore, I am looking for parts to start comparing stats and get a GOOD build together. To start, let's look at that template:

Budget? $2,300 (will have wiggle room but that would require another month or two)

Brands? Intel, nVidia, Cooler Master (or Antec), Corsair, Razer

Plans? Gaming, mostly fps games such as CSS, BF3, BF4, Borderlands, COD series and more. I would like to be able to record games as I play too. Surfing the web. I would like the computer to be as future-proof as possible, I know that is hard to do with today's technology. Slight chance I will have to do some AutoCAD work on there, but that will be 2D rendering and nothing extremely strenuous on the cpu/graphics.

Buying from? Newegg (Tiger's Direct if it has cheaper prices)

Re-using parts? No, I plan on starting from scratch. I have various parts I can put in if I got room (TV tuner, additional Vid card... ect.)

Overclock? No, but want the option to without having to replace everything.

OS? yes, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Current Idea for the build:

Case: CM HAF X or Antec 1200 V3

CPU: Intel i7 4770K

MOBO: MSI Z87 MPOWER

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB or GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280X 3GB

PSU: CM Silent Pro Plat

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB

SDD: Corsair Force 128GB

OD: ASUS DVD-Writer

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO or CM V8 GTS

I am also looking to get a mouse (possibly a mouse pad also). I have bigger hands so I need one that is adjustable. I don't want my hand to start to cramp up because I am trying to hold onto this mini-ass mouse. This is the mouse I am currently using at the station I'm at: http://partsurfer.hp.com/ShowPhoto.aspx?partnumber=390938-001. I can handle this mouse so if that gives you an idea about the minimum size I'm looking for. I am looking for a good gaming keyboard also. I don't know if I like the mechanical ones or not. My Logitech keyboard and mouse will suffice until I can get something of decent quality that will last for a few years. Any suggestions will be welcome.

<(^.^)> <(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^>) <(^.^)> <(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^>) <(^.^)>

Thanks for looking and thanks for the help!

*Let me know if any links are wrong or not working. Thank you.*

Edited by Reaper

Looks fine to me. I'd stick with the MSI board or a different Asus board. That thermal armor stuff is a joke those boards don't make ocing any easier or make cooling better (mobos dont even need a nb hsf). Also the cm gts is lame and overpriced. Phantecs are much better. Personally I hate giant coolers that only offer a few degrees better perfoance. Grab a megahalem and two nice fans and enjoy.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16835242031

Why can't I go with the CM Hyper EVO? I heard that was a really good cpu cooler.

Good for the money and sandy bridge/ivy bridge which can take much more of a beating voltage wise (for ocing)

If this was a budget build then yes, but at your price range I would either do megahelems or a Thermalright true 120 (both the true and megahalems are the same size as the cm hyper evo). Now the absolute top performers in the air cooling market are http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608024 but these are the size of your average cinder block.

One more thing, personally I would go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131989 over the sabertooth. Much better clocker and better on board sound.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130690

Same with this board ( I think its the one you chose originally)

Msi's is probably the best over clocker. I'd post a gigabyte board (my fav brand) but they are doing recalls on there z87 boards due to sata connector issues.

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about doing a computer build in the near future (about 4-6 months). Therefore, I am looking for parts to start comparing stats and get a GOOD build together. To start, let's look at that template:

Budget? $2,300 (will have wiggle room but that would require another month or two)

Plans? Gaming, mostly fps games such as CSS, BF3, BF4, Borderlands, COD series and more. I would like to be able to record games as I play too. Surfing the web. I would like the computer to be as future-proof as possible, I know that is hard to do with today's technology. Slight chance I will have to do some AutoCAD work on there, but that will be 2D rendering and nothing extremely strenuous on the cpu/graphics.

Re-using parts? No, I plan on starting from scratch. I have various parts I can put in if I got room (TV tuner, additional Vid card... ect.)

Case: CM HAF X or Antec 1200 V3

MOBO: MSI Z87 MPOWER

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB or GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280X 3GB

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO or CM V8 GTS

I am also looking to get a mouse (possibly a mouse pad also). I have bigger hands so I need one that is adjustable. I don't want my hand to start to cramp up because I am trying to hold onto this mini-ass mouse. This is the mouse I am currently using at the station I'm at: http://partsurfer.hp...ber=390938-001. I can handle this mouse so if that gives you an idea about the minimum size I'm looking for. I am looking for a good gaming keyboard also. I don't know if I like the mechanical ones or not. My Logitech keyboard and mouse will suffice until I can get something of decent quality that will last for a few years. Any suggestions will be welcome.

For the mobo, get a a Asus.

GOOD CPU

The GPU I'd go with Asus.

Ram i'd go with this G.SKILL SNIPER

The Hyper 212 EVO, I have it works great. but yeah it is big.

Good for the money and sandy bridge/ivy bridge which can take much more of a beating voltage wise (for ocing)

If this was a budget build then yes, but at your price range I would either do megahelems or a Thermalright true 120 (both the true and megahalems are the same size as the cm hyper evo). Now the absolute top performers in the air cooling market are http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835709011

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835608024 but these are the size of your average cinder block.

One more thing, personally I would go with http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131989 over the sabertooth. Much better clocker and better on board sound.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130690

Same with this board ( I think its the one you chose originally)

Msi's is probably the best over clocker. I'd post a gigabyte board (my fav brand) but they are doing recalls on there z87 boards due to sata connector issues.

I will definitely look into those suggestions. thanks for the links mate!

For the money you're planning to spend, might as well get the 780Ti.

I don't think they had those out when I made this list (or at least priced). I am definitely looking into it though! The 780Ti looks sick (wish they would make an aftermarket cooler for it, not a big fan of the single fan at the back of the card. I feel like it would create hot spots towards the front since it is moving hot air over the fins).

Go with Asus on the Mobo :D

K BitchDallaPlant =P

I'm looking at a couple of mobo's. I like the UEFI BIOS (friend has it on his computer and holy crap! it looks soo easy to change settings and stuff).

I don't think they had those out when I made this list (or at least priced). I am definitely looking into it though! The 780Ti looks sick (wish they would make an aftermarket cooler for it, not a big fan of the single fan at the back of the card. I feel like it would create hot spots towards the front since it is moving hot air over the fins).

They do, as an example

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2884-KR

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Just doing an update on my build based on some suggestions. I would prefer nVidia to AMD for GPU.

Case: CM HAF X

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB

Cooler: Phanteks CPU cooler

Extras:

Keyboard: RAZER DeathStalker Ultimate

Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure or ROCCAT Kone XTD

Monitor: Suggestions please!!!

Headset: Suggestions please!!!

I will need a mouse pad (something huge... but I don't know of any good one). Let me know what you think of my build. Any changes needed? Does it look pretty solid? Criticism is welcome but will be taken as a grain of salt.

Edited by Reaper

I LOVE THE GRAPHICS CARD! Get it! :D

Also, for the Headset/speaker suggestions

Here's two threads that people helped me on. About speakers and headsets.

https://hellsgamers.com/topic/92656-logitech-g930-headset-yes-no/ I made this like 2 days ago.

https://hellsgamers.com/topic/92002-headset-and-speakers-help/ More help here.

Hello Everyone,

Just doing an update on my build based on some suggestions. I would prefer nVidia to AMD for GPU.

Case: CM HAF X

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB

Cooler: Phanteks CPU cooler

Extras:

Keyboard: RAZER DeathStalker Ultimate

Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure or ROCCAT Kone XTD

Monitor: Suggestions please!!!

Headset: Suggestions please!!!

I will need a mouse pad (something huge... but I don't know of any good one). Let me know what you think of my build. Any changes needed? Does it look pretty solid? Criticism is welcome but will be taken as a grain of salt.

the ROCCAT Kone XTD link isn't working.

And I like the ROCCAT Kone XTD. It has features I like. I'm sure our prefrenses aren't all that off. I'd go with this one over the ROCCAT Kone Pure.

ALSO that case Doe!!! I love it, I wanted it but I got a different CM case. One thing our cases have in common is the fucking little pieces that hold the HDD's and CD/DVD drives.

9iU9n4I.jpg

Whats in red is what I'm talking about. They are kind of a bitch to work with. I had my mom help me with that part. :b

But don't be worried about that. It's still a good case, just is a bit of a bitch to do. lol

Edited by XxwonderbredxX

LOLOL. I will be doing this build by myself (will be living by myself when i order it) so I should be worried!!!! lol

I am working on fixing the link. Will edit this message once it is completed.

It is finished. The link should be working now.

Edited by Reaper

Get a cheaper mechanical keyboard.

That thing is way overpriced for laptop membrane switches.

Cherry reds are my personal favorite. When I have to use my mbp in class I want to throw it out the window because the keys feel like mud compared to cherry reds.

It has a touchpad in the keyboard with a lot of functionality, lots of room for added apps and stuff for future games to utilize it. That is why it is overpriced. I actually prefer those types of buttons to any others. If I can find a cherry red on display somewhere, I will test it out. But for right now, those are extras. It's an added cost and will require another month (minimum) to buy (considering that I will be getting paid on a monthly basis at my full time job).

Edited by Reaper

It has a touchpad in the keyboard with a lot of functionality, lots of room for added apps and stuff for future games to utilize it. That is why it is overpriced. I actually prefer those types of buttons to any others. If I can find a cherry red on display somewhere, I will test it out. But for right now, those are extras. It's an added cost and will require another month (minimum) to buy (considering that I will be getting paid on a monthly basis at my full time job).

Bestbuy/frys will have some you can test. They will most likely have browns or blues (most gaming keyboards are) but reds are a quieter smoother feel.

Also you shouldn't be watching your keyboard when you game ;) work on dat aim gurl.

• Like 1