Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

School Exit Exams

XxwonderbredxX

So, today I was talking to one of my classmates about how exit exams are shitty and they shouldn't determine if you pass a class or not.

For those who don't know what an exit exam is.. It's a exam taken normally at the end of the semester and if you pass the exit exam you pass the class, BUT that's only if you have a passing grade in the class. If you fail the exit exam but get an A in the class, you fail the class with a D or F. Overall, you gotta pass both the class and exit exam to pass the class.

Anyway, so my physical science class has two exit exams, one during midterm and one during finals, as well as having to take the class midterm and final. It's fucked up.

My classmates point was, why are you forced to take a exit exam from the department chairmen who doesn't know you at all and didn't teach you anything, she/he is making me take a exit exam to ether pass or fail me. That's just unfair. It's not even required by the state to take an exit exam for this class, just required from our school. :P

What are your thoughts on this?

fuck the police. But seriously they shouldn't make you do an "exit exam" What if you're sick or you don't have your day? You most likely will fail it and not pass the class. Yes its unfair but the world isnt fair

I know right! And what about the people who aren't good at taking tests? I'm one of those people.

Why is your font so big?

Because I'm cool.

Thats the opposite with me. The second a test is in front of me I remember everything I need to ace.

Thats why I got a 100% on my midterm. But I suggest you study more and copy the thing your studying. Since when you copy it you tend to retain it.

I guess I should. I never study, but I always get B's+ in my classes. But, since this class is BS I guess I'll have to.. :P

I mean, these aren't called exit exams for most of my classes, they are called midterms and finals...

Most of my classes are weighted 50% midterm and finals. So basically if you cheat on homework and flunk all the test because you can't google the answers during the exam, you fail. It seems fair to me.

• Like 1

Its completely fair. Most aren't testing the toughest material covered in the course. The person teaching the course could have given you the equivalent of a free passing grade by being too slack/ easy. Having an exit exam to determine if you pass or fail is the only way the board has of knowing you deserve the pass. It is also the only way of acknowledging whether the teacher is doing his/her job correctly. If you cannot pass the exit exam or write a bad test there are generally supplementaries and for the most part it means you dont deserve the credit. Not saying this is right or wrong. But this was a long thought out method of ensuring fairness, not taking it away. There is logic behind it.

You are coming from the bias of you've put the effort in to pass and you deserve it as you've proven it all year. This is completely fair. But this is just a standardized method of proof of deservation of said credit.

TL;DR

Ya dont always get what you waannntttt,

But if you try some times,

Ya just might find,

You'll pass the course !

If you're already getting and A in the class, I guarantee there is no way in hell you'll fail these "exit exams", unless you cheated on everything else. Do your studying and make sure you understand the material, and you won't have anything to worry about. In my area, you can usually find online pdf versions of provincial exams from previous years, basically telling you everything you need to know.

Anyone who did their shit properly will pass a test like that with ease. The questions will always be more simple than that of a unit/chapter test given out to you by your teacher.