Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

An Open Letter To Leadership Regarding The Perp Server

Magic

In all though, the biggest impediment to a revival of the server is the map.

the other full perp communitys run the same map, no? I agree the maps shit and should be changed, but I strongly disagree that its the reason the server sits at 0

Edited by Cookie

• Executive Council

I'm sorry, but are you referring to the current EvoCity map we use on the server or the one in development?

The current map. The new EvoCity that is in development doesn't have any public bsps last I checked so I cannot say anything about that one.

the other full perp communitys run the same map, no? I agree the maps shit and should be changed, but I strongly disagree that its the reason the server sits at 0

There are only two communities still in existence that have any population. http://www.gametracker.com/search/garrysmod/?query=PERP&sort=3&order=DESC

Hellzone, which uses rp_evocity_v4b1. And Perpheads which uses rp_paralake_city_v2. The drama that occurred with PERP over the copyright issue caused a lot of people to abandon the gamemode. Anyway, again a major issue is that I wish to introduce proper NPCs into the gamemode. That takes navmeshes and proper areas for these NPCs to move through. If I had to use the current Evocity then they would have to walk through the tunnels which risks them being ran over by players accidently.

I was one of the players that left, a year ago, because this server died. This server was the best server (in my opinion) HeLLsGamers had to offer. (No I haven't been on every single one of our servers, but you get the point) I came back now, but I really wanted to apply for the GMod division to go back on the PERP server, but no, it's still dead. Magic, this was really well said, and I 100% agree with you, but at the same time, I have a feeling that we're still going to continue to get the "We're working on it" reply from leadership.

Oh also, Kigen, I also kinda want a mapper to make a new map for the HG PERP server. That'd be pretty cool, and I do believe, if announced, could bring a lot of people back onto the server, and maybe a few will stick, and those who stick will tell their friends, and they will tell their friends, etc.

In all though, the biggest impediment to a revival of the server is the map. So if you know a mapper or are a mapper yourself please apply to the mapping team and help build the server a proper map.
Edited by xGlitchedGamer

I didn't mean that's the only thing we do, Magic, but I do think that it's a big part in this. Events, new features, etc. can also help

Yes events can benefit the server, but stuff like this can only go so far. I love events don't get me wrong, but those are typically on debug and yeah they can help bring people back to the game mode, but we need to remember what they are going back to, nothing. The key need is a new map and fixed bugs and new features.

• Executive Council

A map can only do so much, yes it will definitely be beneficial to the server, but we will still need more.

The map is needed for new features n' stuff. Right now the only thing we could do is shove more cars or weapons in there but that solves nothing. I need a new map that can be properly navigated by NPCs (i.e., has a proper navmesh). Without this there isn't much point.

Theres nothing even wrong with the server or the map, its still very play-able

Nobody plays the server because its not a fun server without multiple players on it

I told impact to make an event to get it populated for at least 2-3 hours one night to show people that the server can still be fun but he refuses to take any input from me

Impact gets on, then another mod gets on.. that's it, no new players, no population from the clan. Its a dead server with less than 10 players on at once

And then you get banned

Edited by Bp~

the only way to get this populated again is to get around 20-30 people and it'll be all good. it may sound quixotic, but that's really how it is because I guarantee that everyone would actually enjoy playing if people actually played. restart the server so it isn't lagging, get a bunch of people to play and remember how fun it was back in the good ol days, voila the servers back. problem is, the server has gone to shit and no one in leadership is taking initiative to fix it. no one knowledges perp. afking in perp doesn't count as trying to populate it to those who think that helps. no ones gonna join a perp server with one person afking in there. it's all up to the members more than leadership. no one really wants to make the server good anymore it seems like because if they did, it wouldn't of died in the first place. I would definitely play perp again if it was populated, he'll I'd even donate for gold again. two months playtime in that server. we had a lot of fun in there and it's possible to actually get that going again, we just need the dedication, especially from leadership. don't even get me started with that.

it can for sure be done. plain and simple. do it all together as members and leadership, and let the good memories continue. spark the plug

@@Kigen then why not try this map? http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=281234998

Another server uses this and they seem to be doing just fine with it. In my honest opinion, it honestly would not hurt us to do this at all. Cause with Evocity 3, there is no eta on that, and we cannot sit around waiting for something just like that to finish and leave the server dead.

Ok, maybe that was a little bit uncalled for. But the fact that you use navmesh as an excuse to not update a server that has been desperate for updates for about 2-3 years makes me sad.

For anyone that doesnt know, navmesh is short for Navigation Mesh which represents the where bots and AI can walk, its used in css and csgo for bots and shouldn't even be relevant at this point since its literally just used by bots.

I miss HG perp too, magic :/

• Like 1

R.I.P. PERP.

The lack of development, coders or resources put into gmod division helped kill it, yet cs:go, tf2 etc..get all the attention

Hasn't changed since I was Leader twice and probably never will.

Edited by Rizon
  • Like 6

Jeeze, this has been ongoing since the 1st day I was in leadership until now.. +1 for finally making a public thread where everyones .02 can't be ignored, never played perp myself but everyone and their cousins seemed to only a year and a bit ago

So a great thread with a great point from Magic is slowly devolving into a flame thread and I dont think you guys are doing him justice with some of these later posts,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember quite a few things attributing to the server's fall off so I apologize if I seem a bit peeved that there is a significant amount of "IT'S ALL THE CODERS AND LEADERSHIP FAULT" in this thread. I have a distinct recollection of quite a few of complaints about the favoritism nature that arose out of a lot of leadership getting involved in the gamemode and creating their own gangs and admins were getting caught abusing for their own benefit or ghosting or metagaming and what not.

I personally stopped playing because I was bored out of my mind from the way the gamemode played out with nothing but selling drugs and raiding people who would get pissed off and metagame or rdm to get back at you.

I began to despise the game mode due to how immature some of our members turned out to be when it came to any sort of aggression against them in regards to raiding and people took things personally and friends began to hate each other.

Yea there's a lack and slow coding aspect to the the mod and server sure, but guess what the coding and maping team ratio is to the division/membership ratio is? We have young individuals that have real lives to attend to with school/college/work/life in general and this community will not demand they sacrifice their personal lives for our sake. "it's being worked on" sounds annoying because you hear it for so long but it is't a lie, I mean if you want we can say "it's being worked on slowly". Not to mention we seem to have bad luck with recruiting people with the skill sets we need to go faster who also aren't mentally broken in some way.

We lost some good leadership, especially RedDevil who did and went above and beyond with the workload that there was and now we need to play catchup just to fill the giant whole left behind from that. Though with the recent changes things should happen sooner in that regard.

Sure the map can change and we can do population events to get the ball rolling, but how long before the game's population kills itself off again through drama and favoritism that I can't tell if it comes from the way the gamemode plays out or if it stems from some awful members that start problems.

• Like 2

so being older now than i was when i played perp ill look at this objectively, theres really no statute of limitations on this all but still

over the course of my perp career (i feel kind of sick calling it a career) i went from no one to recruit to member to mod to da to no one again, having thrown away millions and buying 3.5 bugattis im kind of ashamed to admit this all

for a lot of people the attraction to perp was breaking rules but doing so in such away that they weren't breaking rules per se.

it was making people upset and walking a fine line between banned and not

maybe my attraction to perp is because i grew up and stopped wanting to juveniley break rules and as such having achieved all the game had to offer i stopped caring

i became really indifferent about perp towards my later months when i was mod/advisor

perp could be revived by new content (thats above my paygrade to figure out tbh) but the "perp community" will always be 2 groups of puople, those who take it seriously and those who just want to fuck around

and theyll never get along

• Like 1

so being older now than i was when i played perp ill look at this objectively, theres really no statute of limitations on this all but still

over the course of my perp career (i feel kind of sick calling it a career) i went from no one to recruit to member to mod to da to no one again, having thrown away millions and buying 3.5 bugattis im kind of ashamed to admit this all

for a lot of people the attraction to perp was breaking rules but doing so in such away that they weren't breaking rules per se.

it was making people upset and walking a fine line between banned and not

maybe my attraction to perp is because i grew up and stopped wanting to juveniley break rules and as such having achieved all the game had to offer i stopped caring

i became really indifferent about perp towards my later months when i was mod/advisor

perp could be revived by new content (thats above my paygrade to figure out tbh) but the "perp community" will always be 2 groups of puople, those who take it seriously and those who just want to fuck around

and theyll never get along

This is a good post and is how I felt about the mod in the end. There were so many loopholes to the rules where people were doing things that weren't banable offenses but were just shitty things to do.

"You're not wrong you're just an asshole" comes to mind with how a lot of people started to play the mod.

• Like 1