Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Hi. I'm here to teach all of those saying "oh daddy, what's matchmaking?" What exactly matchmaking is. So let's get down to what CS:GO designed it for.

A competitive system based on ELO, designed to place you in a group of people with the same, or nearly the same, skill group as yourself, the game is 5v5, which means 10 people will be of the same skill. If you do good, you'll gain elo or rank up, if you do bad, you'll lose elo or de rank (there are some exceptions like if you do bad but win, bla bla bla, you get the point)

But what is matchmaking really? Because we all know that ^^ is not really what it is.

Matchmaking is a system based on ELO, but with a force field around it, so you could do great for 10 games in a row, and not get ranked up. Then, mysteriously this "shield" seems to turn off, coincidentally when you go with people of a higher skill than you, to see how you do. You do bad (because they're higher skilled than you) and you derank. Now that's if you're lucky. To explain my next point I'll use this "chart" of some sorts:

CS:GO Matchmaking Players in a Nutshell.

Actual people of that skill group trying to improve: 4%

Actual people of a higher skill group trying to improve others: 11%

Smurfs (higher skilled players playing on a low-ranked account to play with low ranks): 75%

Hackers: 10%

Not only is there a great community to matchmaking, there's also fantastic game mechanics. With a whole SIXTY FOUR TICK server, you can assure yourself, that none of your shots will ever hit.

If you where planning on starting matchmaking, consider the following:

Smurfs

Hackers

Boosters

64 tick

Silver is a trap

Please, take the time to add to the list of things to love about matchmaking.

Thanks for listening, and remember, Gaben will NEVER fix these issues. ;)

Valve knows about the broken hitboxes and this will get fixed in valve time (1-2 months)

Having 128 tick servers costs money.

Even if Valve had all the money of the world they won't upgrade their servers to 128 tick because lower end users cannot handle the 128tick rate servers.

I totally agree with warowl here on the aspects of smurfing.

You have good smurfs and you have bad smurfs.

Hackers/boosters: You won't see them as much in lower ranks.

I have seen more smurfs then actuall spinbotting hackers.

There is nothing as a ELO hell or "silver hell" if you actuall spend time to improve you will get easily out of it !

Warowl is a great youtuber that helped me overtime !

So is AdreN from Team Liquid he has some nice videos.

And if you are a bit higher ranked you want to watch VooCSGO (Lower ranks can also watch him)

tl;dr: Matchmaking doesn't suck at all it's a great future and you will always have to improve towards your rank.

• Like 2

Having 128 tick servers costs money.

Even if Valve had all the money of the world they won't upgrade their servers to 128 tick because lower end users cannot handle the 128tick rate servers.

Please, stop saying this. There is literally no downside to upgrading to 128 tick, they're only saying that because they don't want to do it. It'd be more benefical towards everyone if they upgraded their servers. Also you realize they're worth around $2b, so upgrading those servers wouldn't take much of a hit for them, considering how much the userbase would most likely grow and spend on market items.

And matchmaking is only beneficial up to a certain point, after DMG/LE, it's pointless to play it all the time because once you're up to that skill level and want to become better, you'll need better servers to become more consistent and consistent opponents to play against in ESEA/CEVO/Faceit.

• Like 3

Smurfs are good tho :o Possibly because I have 17 accounts that spread over all matchmaking ranks except the lowest (my lowest is silver 3).

The 75% smurf thing is bullshit tho, deranking became hard af, less smurfs now.

Also you almost don't notice the hackers anymore, the ones that are there try to play so legit that they lose anyways or get banned.

The real issue are the swedish servers in EU :( Searching with maxping 50, getting on a server where you get 70 ping and the rest is around 5-15 ping really hurts my feelings, valve

And matchmaking is only beneficial up to a certain point, after DMG/LE, it's ...

Haha. Just seen this. This is just gold. In EU where the matchmaking ranks are in general a little better than the average in NA.. Well, DMG/LE is the new nova3-mg2 ... Absolutely 0 gamesense going around there.. 2 months ago I had to literally fight for my soloqueue LE rankup, now I ranked my smurf in 1 week from mg2 to lem entirely soloqueue or sometimes joining the lobby when I had a nice premade team. And my smurf is like 1 win away of supreme and I still carry because the old dmg's are now around those ranks.

Conclusion: Go to ESEA/CEVO/Faceit etc. to improve as dmg/le is a joke. If you are not able to rank to lem/supreme solo you got plenty of room for improvement in matchmaking.

Something tells me this was based off of the opinions of a biased Gold Nova.

60% of all percentages are completely made up.

Also ^this

Edited by omgWolf

The real problem with matchmaking is the numerous hackers. That's why some players including WarOwl very rarely play on MM servers anymore. I was a Silver 4, quit playing for a bit, lost that rank and I don't really care. I hate hackers and I refuse to do MM in a server where I know someone will either flat out have the hacks or toggle them all the way through the game. No one wants that.

. to improve as dmg/le is a joke. If you are not able to rank to lem/supreme solo you got plenty of room for improvement in matchmaking.

Honestly, ranks don't mean shit. Best way to improve in this game is actually joining a team, you will learn a lot from that as everyone on the team should be trying to improve each other. Good place to start in NA is CEVO as it's free and the skill level is lower than ESEA so you won't get stomped every single match.

• Like 3

Honestly, ranks don't mean shit. Best way to improve in this game is actually joining a team, you will learn a lot from that as everyone on the team should be trying to improve each other. Good place to start in NA is CEVO as it's free and the skill level is lower than ESEA so you won't get stomped every single match.

I agree with this, not many of you have ever tried DotA before, but as a solo support, you can't get much done (at my low level) when your game knowledge is much, muchhigher than your team's, and even the enemies'.

But if you have an organized team, obviously it will be much more of a challenge, but it leaves so much room for growth in your knowledge in the game (I assume this carries over to CS:GO).

• 1 year later...