Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Grace Period For People Who Disconnect By Crashing/timing Out

Ataxylon

Many people would agree that if someone's Garry's mod crashed or they just timed out, there should be some kind of grace period, say 3 or 4 minutes, for a person to reconnect to the server and remain as a human. It's a REALLY annoying thing to deal with, especially if you're in Wave 4 or 5, having spent tons of points just to lose them by having a Game Crash. If this were implemented, someone could be spared the annoyance of having lost points and losing when they could have easily won the game. This grace period should only apply to people who Disconnect by timing out, and not to people who have "Disconnected by User" to help stop exploiting of the system. This is just a basic idea, and if anyone could add on more ideas, that'd be great. Thanks for reading, and if you're on Staff, please try to consider this.

Thanks.

• Like 6

I can't imagine a grace period working during wave 4 or 5 but I think having a grace period to reconnect before wave 1 starts would be really appreciated by the community. I have crashed many times as soon as the wroth menu appears and I am forced to become a zombie.

• Like 1

Many people would agree that if someone's Garry's mod crashed or they just timed out, there should be some kind of grace period, say 3 or 4 minutes, for a person to reconnect to the server and remain as a human. It's a REALLY annoying thing to deal with, especially if you're in Wave 4 or 5, having spent tons of points just to lose them by having a Game Crash. If this were implemented, someone could be spared the annoyance of having lost points and losing when they could have easily won the game. This grace period should only apply to people who Disconnect by timing out, and not to people who have "Disconnected by User" to help stop exploiting of the system. This is just a basic idea, and if anyone could add on more ideas, that'd be great. Thanks for reading, and if you're on Staff, please try to consider this.

Thanks.

It's easy to know if a client disconnects on purpose. Pretty sure the client sends some info to the server when doing it.

I believe it could be doable.

Yeah timing out by hittin' that nice airplane mode on your keyboard right

This is why I suggested having the grace period for the time before wave 1 starts.

I would agree on some sort of grace period before wave 1 too; if that exist ya might just have killed a CSGO zombie servers' customer right here, because of the reduced amount of frustration.

Maybe it could be like in ARK, when you disconnect you leave a "body" behind, as long as the body is alive, you can come back to the same place when you reconnect, of course you wouldn't get any points while this happens, but it would save your position and your status (R.I.P. or alive).

I can't imagine a grace period working during wave 4 or 5 but I think having a grace period to reconnect before wave 1 starts would be really appreciated by the community. I have crashed many times as soon as the wroth menu appears and I am forced to become a zombie.

If there are too many zombies after the start of wave one the game will move some of them back over to the human team.

It's easy to know if a client disconnects on purpose. Pretty sure the client sends some info to the server when doing it.

I believe it could be doable.

Which you're basing on what exactly? Skynet existing?

Maybe it could be like in ARK, when you disconnect you leave a "body" behind, as long as the body is alive, you can come back to the same place when you reconnect, of course you wouldn't get any points while this happens, but it would save your position and your status (R.I.P. or alive).

Yeah, its slightly harder than just going: Player:SaveBody(). Good idea, just insanely impractical within the scope of game logic as it exists today.

• Like 1

you can change the auto disconect timer yourself... mine is unlimited so as long as i do not hit disconnect it will reconnect eventualy.

the main problem with the "body" system is it can easily be exploited. the other issue is it would take well over a week of hard work to pull off and that is if you know exactly what you are doing. then comes bug fixing and exceptions to prevent some exploits. that can take about a month total.

in conclusion,

is it doable? absolutely.

can it be exploited? absolutely!

is it useful? not much.

worth it? no.

TBH if you get disconnectd mid game blame your ISP or computer because that is the real problem unless the whole server crashes.

Edited by jaxjaxk
  • Like 2

the main problem with the "body" system is it can easily be exploited. the other issue is it would take well over a week of hard work to pull off and that is if you know exactly what you are doing. then comes bug fixing and exceptions to prevent some exploits. that can take about a month total.

TBH if you get disconnectd mid game blame your ISP or computer because that is the real problem unless the whole server crashes.

People can still take a prop, go hide and stand on it to farm points with a hammer, that was never fixed, but admins ban those who exploit it. So exploiting isn't a valid excuse.

Since Gmod is - if you will forgive the repetition - a mod, it isn't completely stable, not to mention that not all the maps are 100% optimized, so crashes may still occur even with a computer from the Nasa.

Yeah, its slightly harder than just going: Player:SaveBody(). Good idea, just insanely impractical within the scope of game logic as it exists today.

Nobody said it was practical, but it would be rather useful sometimes, I can't say the benefit would be worth because I've never tried programming anything in gmod, but I think it would be a nice addition to the game.

People can still take a prop, go hide and stand on it to farm points with a hammer, that was never fixed, but admins ban those who exploit it. So exploiting isn't a valid excuse.

Since Gmod is - if you will forgive the repetition - a mod, it isn't completely stable, not to mention that not all the maps are 100% optimized, so crashes may still occur even with a computer from the Nasa.

Nobody said it was practical, but it would be rather useful sometimes, I can't say the benefit would be worth because I've never tried programming anything in gmod, but I think it would be a nice addition to the game.

point farming exploit is actualy something that can be fixed fairly easliy. on top of that is is very obvious when people use this kind of exploit where as using a disconect exploit you can never prove it was on purpose. i mean what are you going to use as proof? a vido of them disconnecting and then reconnecting?

point farming exploit is actualy something that can be fixed fairly easliy. on top of that is is very obvious when people use this kind of exploit where as using a disconect exploit you can never prove it was on purpose. i mean what are you going to use as proof? a vido of them disconnecting and then reconnecting?

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "exploit", how would anyone exploit this?

Players wouldn't get any points because they're not playing, their bodies could be killed by the zombies, so what's there to exploit?

you can change the auto disconect timer yourself... mine is unlimited so as long as i do not hit disconnect it will reconnect eventualy.

in conclusion,

is it doable? absolutely.

can it be exploited? absolutely!

is it useful? not much.

worth it? no.

http://i.imgur.com/jKYOulQ.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "exploit", how would anyone exploit this?

Players wouldn't get any points because they're not playing, their bodies could be killed by the zombies, so what's there to exploit?

if you use ragdolls for bodies ( best method) then you can disconect if you fall. becaue ragdolls dont take fall damage you can esentialy reconnect and be on the ground. every played submersion? their is that one trap that is a great example. it is not just one map, most are the same way. i am actualy willing to bet that you can use it to get glitched into certain areas on some maps even making it so zombies never get to you.