Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Zs Changes: A Review

TheAtrocity

Hi. If you can't take my salt and learn to critically think, it's probably best you stay ignorant. My edginess helps me play fruit ninja. Thanks.

I'm here to address a few cringe-worthy changes both within the ZS server as well as some of the actions people have suggested and/or done. Just the big ones. The ones that garner wa too much attention. Oh boy let's start. Honestly some are just rewordings of my earlier posts.

The Tier System

Okay bois, let's take a look at this. The tier system. Potential for balance? Check. Has it been done right after the changes and restructuring after it first made its debut here? Aw hell Nah. Disregard my comments on Skay's thread about changing the system to allow different weapons to be unlocked later or earlier. Zombies are straight up just over-powered and boring. Not individually. But with the amount. Simple math and even a cade with buffers amounting to 2,500 HP and a main cade totalling at least 8,800 HP gets absolutely blown away by the sheer numbers of zombies. It's rare to make it past wave 4, and in the event that we do, there's barely 2,000 HP left to stand for another nearly 5 solid minutes of zombie grinding on the props. Forget about wave 6.

Humans are vastly under-powered by wave 4. Once wave 3 commences and ends, we can easily see that much of the team (nearly 50% if not more, majority of the time) is in the hands of the zombies. Weapons which are 'useful' for waves 1/2 are obsolete. I'm talking basically every single weapon under the 125 point mark. Those are unlocked much later. However the "Mid-Tier' weapons, under the 180 point mark are simply nearly obsolete with the amount of zombies present by the wave 3 intermission. We're literally not playing Zombie Survival at this point. We're literally playing the stalling game.

We need a way to give the zombies the upper hand in the beginning waves while allowing humans to get a buff in the latter waves. No, humans shouldn't be getting to wave 6 every single time, but it should be much more common. We don't even have to win. Just a decent holding cade is good enough. Then the win factor depends on teamwork. This should not only balance out mid-high populations, but times when we have low population as well.

Zs_Obj_Vertigo_v12

Clearly this has been out of control. I’m almost taking those chlorine tabs at the cringey name changes in-game to protest the map update. Let me give it to you straight. While you whine and complain on forums, you’ve never actually given any reasonable argument to re-instate v12 as opposed to v14. It’s pathetic and you should really stop. Minor changes like “the filters and lighting are so bad†shouldn’t even be legitimate answers, as v14 fixes and balances a lot of things out. The map creator wouldn’t just change the title from v12 to v14 and change the lighting a bit. Think about it.

"I hate v14 because it's way too hard for me"

Lol ok good for you?

"I need the map's 1.5x damage to score kills!"

Lol ok good for you?

Do I need to list more or is this enough because I swear if I were papa John I'd just give you v13 and let the nightmares do the job for me.

>About objectives in general.

I absolutely hate every objective map out there. Yeah, I played them all several times. Too many times. It’s no secret about my hatred for the maps. However, you don’t see me making dumb cringey posts or name changes about the issue. I won’t say I understand why some of you like them, but I can respect it.

The Suicide Bomb

Now this is interesting. You all firmly believe everything and I really do mean everything should yield a sizable profit and anything that doesn’t is shit. Well guess what: you’re shit. Before taking those chlorine tabs with that nice full cup of bleach, you should consider ZS at it’s core: not to yield profit, but to simulate zombie survival, GMod style. It isn’t about profits. Of course, I agree that with HG as it is and the popularity as it is, point-saving and profiting should be an integral part of the server. But don’t think that for everything. Big risk, big reward. Efforts. As for the suicide bomb we fondly call “jihadâ€, that’s something that should not yield the user profit at all. The very point of its existence was to poke fun at the rushing zombies as the cade was breaking, something akin to a flip off to the zombies, going out with a bang, literally. Now you want to profit? Give me a fucking break. It’s a ‘failhad’ because you ‘only’ killed 10 zombies? Because you didn’t get +200 with it? Wow, you must be “really badâ€. NO. You’re the one that’s terrible and you should definitely work on improving your mediocre zs skills. You’re a joke. Quit whining and let’s look at the big picture, so everyone and I mean everyone benefits.

Raise that piece of shit to 300 points. I’m sick of the bullshit I have to put up with. I mean the people who just love making half-decent cades to bunch up zombies while they spend their time wasting props and making their own little personal “jihad cade†to gather as much zombies as possible and just waiting. You’re a counter-productive shit. I’m fine with a great cade and having 1 large prop in the corner. Back when the jihad was 200, only a few purchased it and it usually led to a loss but it was fine. It was pretty funny seeing 20+ killed. But at 100? Now it’s 20 people with jihads, each blowing up 10 zombies at most usually and it’s a MAJOR annoyance to get in and land in more than 2 hits as a zombie. 300 points and there’s going to be less bullshits. And less eyesores.

Last Human Walls

Onto the next change. Wow, last human now glows like a star and all the dead uns can see exactly where the last human is. What a feature. That basically makes being last human suicide before doing anything. No skills in seeing how the last person dodges those hits, no brains used from 60+ zombies to locate the last human. Really, just remove it.

Weapons

Nothing to be said here. Either you have played the game at all and understand what needs to be changed or you’re just trying to make arbitrary changes based on the given values assuming it is a needed change. You don’t need to play for 3 years like me to know what needs changing.

Current Situation

Ok. Now then. I’m finding that this needs to be addressed from all the time I’ve spent in the new ZS era. Maps. Ah yes. Where should I start?

Maps were never a large problem. Yes. With Garry breaking instead of fixing with every “updateâ€, I concede to the need of fixing maps that break. However, only the major problems that truly affect gameplay. Small texture bugs, lighting effects, etc should be pushed aside to address more important changes and issues that plague ZS. It’s more than disheartening to see almost everyone so fixated on map fixing when the focus should be directed elsewhere. Back then, I’ve never had qualms about maps, some maps were bad, yes and fixes may have been needed but most players coped along well. With the new ZS generation taking over, they can easily learn and cope with the small problems. If it’s too dark, use your flashlight. Not a big deal, so stop making it like so.

New maps shouldn’t be a priority. We just need a better system, where it’s not possible to play 2 objective maps back-to-back or the same pub v7 pointfarming map all the time.

I could go on and on but I think I'll stop here.

Edited by TheAtrocity
  • Like 2

My two cents about vertigo.

One. The very first time v14 was played on HG we won it. If you can't win it consistently, you need to guide your team by mic and cade every spawn.

Two. The color is not an issue whatsoever.

Step one, vanilla:

5ed0e980e5.jpg

Step two, mat_colorcorrection 0 in console:

0dc928e197.jpg

The color is not an issue whatsoever, all you need to do is type that command into the console if you don't like it. Spread that around and you'll all like v14 more than v12.

• Like 3

My two cents about vertigo.

One. The very first time v14 was played on HG we won it. If you can't win it consistently, you need to guide your team by mic and cade every spawn.

Two. The color is not an issue whatsoever.

Step one, vanilla:

5ed0e980e5.jpg

Step two, mat_colorcorrection 0 in console:

0dc928e197.jpg

The color is not an issue whatsoever, all you need to do is type that command into the console if you don't like it. Spread that around and you'll all like v14 more than v12.

People are complaining about it, I needed to talk about it :)

The Tier System

Okay bois, let's take a look at this. The tier system. Potential for balance? Check. Has it been done right after the changes and restructuring after it first made its debut here? Aw hell Nah. Disregard my comments on Skay's thread about changing the system to allow different weapons to be unlocked later or earlier. Zombies are straight up just over-powered and boring. Not individually. But with the amount. Simple math and even a cade with buffers amounting to 2,500 HP and a main cade totalling at least 8,800 HP gets absolutely blown away by the sheer numbers of zombies. It's rare to make it past wave 4, and in the event that we do, there's barely 2,000 HP left to stand for another nearly 5 solid minutes of zombie grinding on the props. Forget about wave 6.

Humans are vastly under-powered by wave 4. Once wave 3 commences and ends, we can easily see that much of the team (nearly 50% if not more, majority of the time) is in the hands of the zombies. Weapons which are 'useful' for waves 1/2 are obsolete. I'm talking basically every single weapon under the 125 point mark. Those are unlocked much later. However the "Mid-Tier' weapons, under the 180 point mark are simply nearly obsolete with the amount of zombies present by the wave 3 intermission. We're literally not playing Zombie Survival at this point. We're literally playing the stalling game.

We need a way to give the zombies the upper hand in the beginning waves while allowing humans to get a buff in the latter waves. No, humans shouldn't be getting to wave 6 every single time, but it should be much more common. We don't even have to win. Just a decent holding cade is good enough. Then the win factor depends on teamwork. This should not only balance out mid-high populations, but times when we have low population as well.

The tier system was born out of how extremely overpowered humans were, not only at the start, but throughout all six waves. Does it need work? Sure. Is it a much better system then we had previously? Absolutely. Previously humans could all but aim in the general direction of the continent the zombie was standing on to kill them. Now its more focused on controlled fire, a novel concept called aiming, and building up a halfway decent barricade. Not to mention, Humans are suppose to be fighting a losing battle. This isn't the mildly irritating zombie infestation, this is end of the world, doomsday, we got to hold on as best we can, infestation.

Zs_Obj_Vertigo_v12

Clearly this has been out of control. I’m almost taking those chlorine tabs at the cringey name changes in-game to protest the map update. Let me give it to you straight. While you whine and complain on forums, you’ve never actually given any reasonable argument to re-instate v12 as opposed to v14. It’s pathetic and you should really stop. Minor changes like “the filters and lighting are so bad†shouldn’t even be legitimate answers, as v14 fixes and balances a lot of things out. The map creator wouldn’t just change the title from v12 to v14 and change the lighting a bit. Think about it.

>About objectives in general.

I absolutely hate every objective map out there. Yeah, I played them all several times. Too many times. It’s no secret about my hatred for the maps. However, you don’t see me making dumb cringey posts or name changes about the issue. I won’t say I understand why some of you like them, but I can respect it.

Vertigo v12 is dead. Dead and buried. And burned. And Nuked.

The Suicide Bomb

Now this is interesting. You all firmly believe everything and I really do mean everything should yield a sizable profit and anything that doesn’t is shit. Well guess what: you’re shit. Before taking those chlorine tabs with that nice full cup of bleach, you should consider ZS at it’s core: not to yield profit, but to simulate zombie survival, GMod style. It isn’t about profits. Of course, I agree that with HG as it is and the popularity as it is, point-saving and profiting should be an integral part of the server. But don’t think that for everything. Big risk, big reward. Efforts. As for the suicide bomb we fondly call “jihadâ€, that’s something that should not yield the user profit at all. The very point of its existence was to poke fun at the rushing zombies as the cade was breaking, something akin to a flip off to the zombies, going out with a bang, literally. Now you want to profit? Give me a fucking break. It’s a ‘failhad’ because you ‘only’ killed 10 zombies? Because you didn’t get +200 with it? Wow, you must be “really badâ€. NO. You’re the one that’s terrible and you should definitely work on improving your mediocre zs skills. You’re a joke. Quit whining and let’s look at the big picture, so everyone and I mean everyone benefits.

Raise that piece of shit to 300 points. I’m sick of the bullshit I have to put up with. I mean the people who just love making half-decent cades to bunch up zombies while they spend their time wasting props and making their own little personal “jihad cade†to gather as much zombies as possible and just waiting. You’re a counter-productive shit. I’m fine with a great cade and having 1 large prop in the corner. Back when the jihad was 200, only a few purchased it and it usually led to a loss but it was fine. It was pretty funny seeing 20+ killed. But at 100? Now it’s 20 people with jihads, each blowing up 10 zombies at most usually and it’s a MAJOR annoyance to get in and land in more than 2 hits as a zombie. 300 points and there’s going to be less bullshits. And less eyesores.

Its hard to spend points with pieces of your body scattered around.

Last Human Walls

Onto the next change. Wow, last human now glows like a star and all the dead uns can see exactly where the last human is. What a feature. That basically makes being last human suicide before doing anything. No skills in seeing how the last person dodges those hits, no brains used from 60+ zombies to locate the last human. Really, just remove it.

No. Just No. By the time its last human, the humans have lost. Period. End of line. The gamemode doesn't suddenly turn into a game of hide n' seek for 5 minutes because the last human feels the need to stick their head in the metaphorical sand in some obscure corner of the map. I'd paint god dam neon arrows on the ground leading zombies to the last human if it was practical.

Weapons

Nothing to be said here. Either you have played the game at all and understand what needs to be changed or you’re just trying to make arbitrary changes based on the given values assuming it is a needed change. You don’t need to play for 3 years like me to know what needs changing.

All weapons need to be changed in one way or another. Is is destroying the balance of time and space? No.

tl;dr - We're actively working on adapting to server based on feedback, just bear with us.

• Like 1

After playing v14 for a week now I can agree v14 is good. It just needs some minor tweaks. Remove the color tint. Add more buying time before the game starts because 20 seconds is way too low, this map is famous for the free item parties and the 20 second time limit ruins this. Allow humans to shoot underwater, that part is impossible to get past right now.

I'm working on my own list of new stats for the weapons to suggest. I aim to rebalance the whole thing across the board. However, don't expect it any time soon.

As for the suicide bomb we fondly call “jihadâ€, that’s something that should not yield the user profit at all. The very point of its existence was to poke fun at the rushing zombies as the cade was breaking, something akin to a flip off to the zombies, going out with a bang, literally. Now you want to profit?

It's a fun device. Except now it's a fun device to guarantee a nice profit for the next match if used. Not cool. Not cool at all. As overpowering as it is either lock it behind the tier system or increase the price to guarantee a loss of points. Regardless of what is done with it people will bitch about it forever.

The Tier System

My idea with the weapon rebalance will take this into account and I firmly believe that it will be a more enjoyable system for everyone. Once again don't expect it any time soon.

tl;dr - We're actively working on adapting to server based on feedback, just bear with us.

Now I have one question for you. Is there an actual plan? Has anyone bothered to design a plan that lays out what's to be done when, where, and how? Because if there isn't a plan then everyone's time is being wasted coming up with ways to fix this. Basics of business, you're fucked without a plan regardless of what is involved.

Now I have one question for you. Is there an actual plan? Has anyone bothered to design a plan that lays out what's to be done when, where, and how? Because if there isn't a plan then everyone's time is being wasted coming up with ways to fix this. Basics of business, you're fucked without a plan regardless of what is involved.

Let me just go ahead and quote you on this one:

Regardless of what is done ... people will bitch about it forever.

Some people seem to forget that Zombie Survival isn't a $60 AAA release you paid money for, you paid for a sandbox game and we happen to run a server with a particular gamemode that is freely open to the Garry's Mod community without it being behind a paywall. The fact of the matter is this isn't a business, you're not entitled to a single thing. Do we still care about feedback? Of course. Do we want to actively improve the server? Absolutely. But don't think for a second we're somehow obligated to acquiesce to your demands because you don't like the direction the server is going in.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Stop being part of the problem, start being part of the solution. Complaining about it won't get you anywhere, constructive criticism will (which means you proposing an plan).

• Like 4

Lol, I'm not blasting leadership at all. Contrary, I'm actually defending them, if anyone's bothered to read which is likely not the case. The main point of this entire post was to blast the exact people complaining about the updates and/or making up the wrong suggestions. It's also some of my suggestions which I've had for a long time (as well as some other top tier zs players).

Edited by TheAtrocity
  • Like 1

hello this is my first post Atrocity is my friend and he referred me to this thread

ok so where to begin...??

first off, i think everyone being rude to atrocity needs to cut it out. his post obviously isnt rude. like just read his thread and you know. dont stop in the middle

i love obj maps a lot. pls dont remove vertigo. add morepleease!

suicide bombs are vey very overpowered. please raise the price!! HOWEVER!! calling it "jihad"" is very racist against muslim ppl like me. people scream JIHAD JIHAD when its being used. theres nothing jihad about blowing up zombies! please dont be racists.

there are a bunch others as well!

i see how papa john says " adapting to server based on feedback, just bear with us. and that makes a lot of sense BUT people listen to Atrocity!! He is a very good zs player.

Edited by Donnelly

• Executive Council

first off, i think everyone being rude to atrocity needs to cut it out. his post obviously isnt rude. like just read his thread and you know. dont stop in the middle

suicide bombs are vey very overpowered. please raise the price!! HOWEVER!! calling it "jihad"" is very racist against muslim ppl like me. people scream JIHAD JIHAD when its being used. theres nothing jihad about blowing up zombies! please dont be racists.

there are a bunch others as well!

I don't think the intention of anyone in this thread is to be rude. But keeping things in perspective.

As far as suicide bombs, I originally added it to the game. It is not designed to make a profit, its just meant as a last second laugh when all your work becomes destroyed and you have to say "fuck it" and die. As far as it being called jihad, well that is unfortunately want the original model and sounds are from. Literally "Jihad Bomb" from sandbox. I named it the "Suicide Bomb" but anyway, I really don't see it as shitting on Muslims. Though granted I am not one. Reason being as the whole point is to go out and kill zombies. Which zombies would be the enemy of all of humanity, regardless of race or religion. Muslims aren't the only ones ever shown suicide bombing zombies in movies and other games, it just happens to be the model I found that would go with this. If you know of a sound file that would replace the current one for that model we'd gladly give it a shot and review it.

• Like 1

Atrocity I know the job you have made around here, my post is not about your suggestions.

I just can't understand why so many people don't tolerate the direction this server is following.

Ok, it can be improved, and it will be if we have some constructive criticism around, not salt mines workers from 2013

That's exactly my point :) They only want to see it from their PoV, as a human, and see the -100 to +300 to +700.