Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Intarnets

Bahl

I can't believe I haven't asked here before, but I would like to know something (if anyone can help) about my router. As I'm sure many of you know NAT routers are a pain the in the ass for online gaming. How can I fix this?

I have a Linksys wireless router (I forget the name of it and I will put it up here later) thats hooked up to a Westell modem that gets our internet. I try to log onto our router and fiddle with port forwarding, but it never works. (I believe the standard IP you enter is 192.168.1.1). A friend of mine said in order to make the NAT error messages go away, I need to enable UPnP. Whatever the hell that means. He did that with his Netgear router.

If anyone has any knowledge about the intarwebs and can provide me with assistance, I would be much obliged...

In order to effectively know what the HELL Im doing as far as network stuff, i need this information:

DSL/Cable:

Router Brand and Model Number:

Modem Brand and Model Number:

ISP:

Results of "ipconfig /all" (type this in cmd):

I also need to know what you're trying to accomplish (XBOX LIVE, dedicated server, listen server, etc.):

I only really need to know the gateway, subnet, DNS servers, and IP address from the ipconfig.

If it's xbox live, on DSL, what probably needs to happen is that your router needs to handle the PPP connection, and your modem can be put into bridge mode. This solved my problems, and WAY increased my speeds on my pc.

Modem handling routing? Eww.

My two guesses are that you need to forward the ENTIRE port range XBL runs on to the IP address of your xbox. It wouldn't hurt if you set that MAC to a static address so you don't have to make any tweaks down the line if you let the xbox's address expire.

OR (And probably much easier)

Switch on Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP). It handles all of that for you. All Linksys routers should have that feature.

In order to effectively know what the HELL Im doing as far as network stuff, i need this information:

DSL/Cable:

ISP:

I also need to know what you're trying to accomplish (XBOX LIVE, dedicated server, listen server, etc.):

I only really need to know the gateway, subnet, DNS servers, and IP address from the ipconfig.

If it's xbox live, on DSL, what probably needs to happen is that your router needs to handle the PPP connection, and your modem can be put into bridge mode. This solved my problems, and WAY increased my speeds on my pc.

It's not for XBL, I don't have an ecksbawks.

I'll get all that information for you, but I would like to know how to do all this bridge shit and PPP nonsense that speeds up my computer. Let me add you on steam and then maybe you can just use teamviewer to explain/show/do it.

It's not for XBL, I don't have an ecksbawks.

I'll get all that information for you, but I would like to know how to do all this bridge shit and PPP nonsense that speeds up my computer. Let me add you on steam and then maybe you can just use teamviewer to explain/show/do it.

The concept is the same for online games and XBL, it's just a different set of ports. Linksys (as much as I immediately flash their routers with custom firmware) makes admin tasks like that pretty easy. It's usually just a checkbox.

buy a new router

I'm going to college in 5 months, I'm not gonna bother spending the money to get a new router and I've tried but can't convince my dad.

Reason

Here is all the info you needed

DSL/Cable: DSL

Netopia (my dad always told me it was a linksys, might explain all my previous troubles...)

Cayman 3387W

Westell Model 6100 (on top, see pic)

Model No: E90-610060-06 (on bottom)

ISP: Zoomtown

I'd rather not give this to you here, so PM me on steam and I'll send em to you.

Mutliplayer on games that use Gamespy and the general hope of speeding up my internet

Not all the games are Gamespy, but I have a couple games that make multiplayer hard due to inconvenient internet settings:

Men of War

Company of Heroes

Borderlands

DSC02030.jpg

DSC02015.jpg

DSC02024.jpg

Those pictures are a lot shittier blown up like that, but you get the point

Top two are Modem, bottom one is Router.

Gl HF!

Please please please!!! Read the entire post before even attempting this. If ANY of this sounds sketchy, make sure you clarify it before you put it into practice.

What the problem (probably) is is that you have the modem routing your connection with limited NAT technology. It's better to have your router routing. Proceed with caution, I will not be responsible for anything that may happen to your internet connection if you misread something or do something wrong.

Call your ISP and ask them for the PPPoE username and password, You will be prompted for the last four digits of the social security number that the account was purchased with, then take careful note of this information. Your dad may know this password anyway, ask him.

Follow the instructions in THIS POST to place the modem into bridge mode.

Remember to connect directly to the modem, not through a router.

Then connect to the router again, and go to 192.168.1.1, you will be at the router's firmware page now. ( You will again be prompted for a password. Ask your dad if it isn't password admin, with no username, if your dad doesnt know, the router can be reset by holding the power button, but this will cuase all clients to be dropped and settings will have to be reconfigured.)

Find the page that references PPPoE. Enable PPPoE and input the username and password from earlier (the one you got from your ISP.)

Note. I would do this step first, but don't actually enable or input anything, just make sure you can find this page before you end up having to hard reset your modem (same as the router.)

Unplug the router and modem for 30 seconds, then power on the modem, and wait for it to fully power on. then the router. Your internet connection should be significantly faster, and NAT communications errors should have minimized.

~Rzn

If wingless has anything to add, ill leave it to him to post it.

I was thinking about writing this as a tutorial for all of HG, I just need to get some stuff together.

Please please please!!! Read the entire post before even attempting this. If ANY of this sounds sketchy, make sure you clarify it before you put it into practice.

What the problem (probably) is is that you have the modem routing your connection with limited NAT technology. It's better to have your router routing. Proceed with caution, I will not be responsible for anything that may happen to your internet connection if you misread something or do something wrong.

Call your ISP and ask them for the PPPoE username and password, You will be prompted for the last four digits of the social security number that the account was purchased with, then take careful note of this information. Your dad may know this password anyway, ask him.

Follow the instructions in THIS POST to place the modem into bridge mode.

Remember to connect directly to the modem, not through a router.

Then connect to the router again, and go to 192.168.1.1, you will be at the router's firmware page now. ( You will again be prompted for a password. Ask your dad if it isn't password admin, with no username, if your dad doesnt know, the router can be reset by holding the power button, but this will cuase all clients to be dropped and settings will have to be reconfigured.)

Find the page that references PPPoE. Enable PPPoE and input the username and password from earlier (the one you got from your ISP.)

Note. I would do this step first, but don't actually enable or input anything, just make sure you can find this page before you end up having to hard reset your modem (same as the router.)

Unplug the router and modem for 30 seconds, then power on the modem, and wait for it to fully power on. then the router. Your internet connection should be significantly faster, and NAT communications errors should have minimized.

~Rzn

If wingless has anything to add, ill leave it to him to post it.

I was thinking about writing this as a tutorial for all of HG, I just need to get some stuff together.

Called ISP, my router is in automatic mode (whatever that is), there is no PPPoE and it cannot be put into bride mode because it apparently configures automaticall. So I was unable to do ANY of what you suggested.

Sad Faic...

And I cannot connect via 192.168.1.1 because nothing pops up, but I have a way to fix that apparently.

Called ISP, my router is in automatic mode (whatever that is), there is no PPPoE and it cannot be put into bride mode because it apparently configures automaticall. So I was unable to do ANY of what you suggested.

Sad Faic...

And I cannot connect via 192.168.1.1 because nothing pops up, but I have a way to fix that apparently.

OH MY GOD MY HEAD!!!

You're running aDSL, so you do have a login to authenticate the PPPoE session. In command line, ping 192.168.1.1. From what the article said, that's a fairly common IP address for that kind of modem. If it returns packets, it's valid for at least something. Make sure popup blockers are off in your browser since I've seen them kill the kind of windows the modem uses.

As soon as you make it into the modem, you should be pretty much fine. The general concept it to tell the modem to stfu as far as routing goes and use the router to authenticate with your ISP.

The general concept it to tell the modem to stfu as far as routing goes and use the router to authenticate with your ISP.

LAWL!

Basically my ISP said, nonono you can't do that. YOU need to STFU and let the router do it's shit. So I'm just gonna go talk to the guy at the store about upgrading to a better modemrouter.

I was thinking the Westell Versalink. It allows for 4 CAT5e ports and does wireless as well. So I think having one unit to do two things would prolly save the trouble of my NAT errors and miscommunication between my router and modem. The only 3 supported by my ISP are:

Westell Trilink

Westell Versalink

Westell 7500

Any opinions/reviews/suggestions?

what problem are you having with your router? all you said was "NAT routers are a pain the in the ass for online gaming"

i am not aware of any type of router that is not a NAT router. NAT stands for "Network Address Translation" and it's how routing is done.

As a residential user, you have one IP address. If you want two or more PCs in your home to connect to the internet, you must get them to both use that single IP address. This is done by means of a router performing NAT. This is how websites and other servers or PCs on the outside internet are able to send the info you request to the right PC in your home.

NAT, by its very nature, also acts as a "firewall", meaning it automatically blocks all unsolicited incoming data. By unsolicited, I mean incoming data from a connection that you have not first sent an outgoing request to. And if you think about it, it makes perfect sense ---- if there are two PCs on your router, and some random computer on the internet sends some data to your IP address, your router is not going to know which of your two PCs to forward it to, so it will just drop the data. However, if one of your PCs first make an outgoing request to that random computer on the internet, and then it replies, your router will know to forward its reply back to that same PC.

So, if you want to HOST a game (act as a server), or if you are playing in a P2P game where all players must connect to every other player (meaning each player acts as both a host and a client), then you will have to set up a "rule" in your router to automatically forward any such game data to YOUR PC, and not just drop it as unsolicited data. This "rule" is called port forwarding. Basically, you just tell the router to forward any unsolicited data it encounters on Ports X, Y, & Z (the ports that your game uses e.g. for CSS it would be 27015) to the correct PC behind your router.

Hopefully now you know a bit of what port forwarding is, and maybe if you describe your exact problem we can help you more.