Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Help!

Street Lethal

So i upgraded to windows 7 pro awhile back from vista. I have a toshiba satellite m505-s4940. the problem is that the mousepad has essentially stopped working. I did some research online and found that the driver is "out of date"

Now, I'm not sure if the software company will issue an update soon, but is there another way around this? Inconvenient for me to bring a wireless mouse to class as well. Device Manager doesn't even list the mousepad anymore. It used to say "ALPS pointing device". Now it just says "HID-compliant mouse" and "PS/2 compatible mouse", one of them I assume is my external mouse.

I've also tried to just uninstall that and install synaptics, but with no luck.

Any thoughts?

I'm also on a 64 bit OS if that means anything

GRACIAS

Okay, easy fix.

Go here:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=2346345&rpn=PSMG2U&modelFilter=M505-S4940&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663

And if link doesn't work, go to http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp?nav=Download and enter your model.

Next thing to do is select ALL Operating systems as the filter and chose touchpad as driver. Download driver and install. Should have instruction during installation, reboot and Windows 7 should recognize the driver.

File size is 20.6 MB.

Here is a direct link if you want:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/driver_touchpad_alps_TCA0002100G.exe

Yeah so thats it.

Enjoy XD

Thanks for the effort Darkplanner, but it's not compatible with Windows 7 - my computer won't even attempt to install the file it just gives up. I tried it again to see if maybe this was a different version from what I tried awhile back but that file is specifically for Vista.

79485916.th.jpg

That's what my device manager says, and one of them is my external logitech wireless mouse. It no longer says ALPS pointing device.

Any other ideas?

TERRY TACO WHERE YOU AT

looks like they don't have a win7 version on their site, and i guess you're saying that the vista version won't install...

try going into your task manager, right click that HID-Compliant mouse driver and Uninstall it. Then reboot. Windows should hopefully find the new driver and download/install it automatically... unless you disabled Windows Updates.

couple notes:

- if you can't uninstall the driver, you may have to boot up in safe-mode to do it

- if you have disabled Windows Updates, you should re-enable it and scan for updates.

last resort, i found this page on HP's site which apparently has an ALPS touchpad driver for Win7

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/Alps-Pointing-Device-Driver-for-Windows-7/m-p/168711

Yo Bort thanks for the advice but I've already exhausted those possibilities, though I did have to try that HP driver. Automatic updates already on, and I've uninstalled it before multiple times hoping that Windows would just find the correct one. I even tried Synaptics again today, with their "windows 7 compatible" driver. None work.

:( stupid toshiba.

I feel as if the ONLY way to fix this is to wait for alps to release a windows 7 update, if they care enough.

that's sad news. on the bright side, when i used to have a lap top i actually disabled that track-pad b/c my thumbs kept hitting it when I was typing and it kept moving my cursor so I would all of a sudden by typing in the middle of another sentence.

If you have any ALPS drivers installed already, GO INTO SAFE MODE and remove them. The ALPS should show up while in safe mode.

Then: Reboot, enter normally. Download and install:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/download.jsp?ct=DL&soid=2395846&ref=EV

That's all you need, then restart.

^THIS IS THE FIX!^

Edited by Cr(+)sshair

If you have any ALPS drivers installed already, GO INTO SAFE MODE and remove them. The ALPS should show up while in safe mode.

Then: Reboot, enter normally. Download and install:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/download.jsp?ct=DL&soid=2395846&ref=EV

That's all you need, then restart.

^ What this dude said. Its strange since the driver should be compatible with 7 if it was compatible with Vista. Windows 7 even added a compatibility feature for this, dont know why it wont install.

Terry and Crosshair. Thanks for those links I did end up getting the file to install but the mousepad still won't work. I'm thinking it could just be a hardware defect where I would have to manually bring it in to get fixed, but the mousepad itself and the two buttons seem to be separate and both don't work. I'm not sure if that means much but I'm still under warranty so I'll just bring it in.

Gracias

Did you go into safe mode first, devices and uninstall the ALPS driver?

You need to do this then restart and download/install it.

Yep. Safe mode found ALPS driver. Uninstalled and turned off the automatic download so it wouldn't download some random version automatically. Manually pointed it to install from the downloaded file. Restarted and it still won't work. It's got to be a hardware failure.