Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

So, leik, Buzz?

Wingless

So has anyone had a chance to take a look at Google Buzz yet? It feels like it could be a fairly strong feed aggregator if it starts to natively post to Twitter and Facebook.

It's strongest suit is that you can take want to take a look at what a specific person is up to and be able to view all of their feeds (Twitter, Picasa, blogs, etc.) at once without having to open up 3 different sites.

Here's the (long) press release:

[YOUTUBE]JuThg91-4Nw[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a quickstart guide on it (via a stand-alone public Buzz post:

http://www.google.com/buzz/ginatrapani/JCWkkSpRGFV/how-to-do-almost-everything-in-Google-Buzz

Meh, I don't think this will be as big as Google thinks it will be. Speaking from a young perspective I know that a lot of the people my age don't use their e-mail for anything important. They use it for coupons, advertisements, and occasionally schoolwork. It's not like their contacts list is filled up with all of their Facebook and Twitter contacts. =\

It has relevance for people you actually talk to on a consistant basis. For being a big fan of Android OS, people I speak to on seven a semi-yearly basis are in my address book. That's the list I call and text off of. For people you have contacts for in Google's address book, their names are cross referenced against public Twitter profiles to get their feeds. With as far as the search engine reaches, a lot of people you know with public-facing profiles are kind of magically just there.

Something that kind of blew me away and terrified me at the same time was the mobile application for it. I switched on GPS and pulled up maps on my phone, and immediately saw public Buzz around me on the map. I even found someone that I work around and have zero contact information for make a comment about a restaurant and could read and comment about it because it was made public. It's like a huge extension to the Latitude platform.

In the interest of open communications, it's really interesting. I'm always up for projects that involve data liberation and unique ideas, and this one is certainly up there.

I have my gmail tab open 24/7, so I'll still update (and more importantly, QUICKLY read updates) through it, but for the purpose of actual social updates, geotagging seems to be the way to go. Especially because it's all kinds of smart giving you a colloquially acceptable location instead of just an address.