Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Immediate HALP needed

I Love Lamp

Alright, so I've been off for a day or two (and probably will be for a few more) because my computer went kaput. I'm using my backup right now that runs on a P4 3.0 and only runs web apps (on a good day).

Here is the down low:

I recently built myself a tight ass computer. However, due to a packing error, NZXT had forgotten to send me drive rails (it's a screwless case). It wasn't a problem, as I had enough for my main HDDs, but not enough for a CD/DVD RW drive. As I had no real ned of one at the time, it wasn't a big deal for me.

Fast forward to last week: I had a few select games I had really wanted to install, but due to my lack of drive rails, installing games from CD was not an option. I got fed up enough where I sent NZXT an email about my situation. They are an awesome company, and in less than a week, I had my drive rails.

Now to a day or two ago: Frothing at the mouth, I hurriedly popped open my case, mounted my disc drive, hooked it all up, and started up my computer. After hitting the power button, all my fans spun up, the ethernet port glowed green, but my monitor didn't come out of Power Save. So, after a minute or so of sitting there hoping it was just momentary lag, I started to freak and did a hard shutdown. I just as hurriedly unplugged said drive, and tried to run again without it. No luck. Same issue: all the lights turned on, all the fans spun up, but no display.

So, at that point I was afraid there might have ben a power issue. So, I removed my graphics card and tried to start up my computer with onboard graphics. Still the same result.

After a few tests, I found out that when I plug in my display while the power is on, my monitor will come out of power save, if only for a second. So, it recognizes some connectivity to the mobo, but then goes right into power save.

I'm not getting any warning lights or sounds from my mobo on start up. I can't get to POST/BIOS for obvious reasons.

I'm hoping its just my Power Supply and not my mobo.

The power supply in question is a Corsair 650W PSU.

I have it powering:

a Phenom II 3.0 quad core

a GTX 260 896 MB

2 HDDs (10k raptor and a 7200 Barracuda)

8 case fans (7 120 mm and 1 90 mm)

+ one attempted CD/DVD RW drive

I need help so I can come back on and solve everyone's problems!

if there was an issue with the PSU i doubt it would even boot up, try using different cables between your display and whatever your plugging it into (onboard or videocard) your cables may have gone bad(though that rarely ever happens) if not then try a different monitor, and if that doesnt work perhaps you shocked your mobo which i hope you didnt! (cause that would suck amirite?)

if there was an issue with the PSU i doubt it would even boot up, try using different cables between your display and whatever your plugging it into (onboard or videocard) your cables may have gone bad(though that rarely ever happens) if not then try a different monitor, and if that doesnt work perhaps you shocked your mobo which i hope you didnt! (cause that would suck amirite?)

It would suck giant donkey balls, I paid more than I ever care to again for a mobo. And I won't be able to buy a new one for a while, so I hope the Droid Eris can play Counter-Strike D:

Guest The_Monkey

Start from scratch...

Take everything out of the case. Remove all cable to hard drives, and power to them as well. Use only your mobo, power supply, processor, and ram, and see if you can post.

If you can post, add back your video card, try again....keep adding components till good.

If for some reason you don't get a post with just mobo, mem, power supply, and processor, make sure that your RAM is securely seated. Take it out, and put it back in, etc. Also, make sure your jumpers are all good, and that there aren't any bare wires shorting to your mobo (could be tested easily if you gut the case).

Start from scratch...

Take everything out of the case. Remove all cable to hard drives, and power to them as well. Use only your mobo, power supply, processor, and ram, and see if you can post.

If you can post, add back your video card, try again....keep adding components till good.

If for some reason you don't get a post with just mobo, mem, power supply, and processor, make sure that your RAM is securely seated. Take it out, and put it back in, etc. Also, make sure your jumpers are all good, and that there aren't any bare wires shorting to your mobo (could be tested easily if you gut the case).

/wrists

I'm about to do that before I RMA my mobo. I just REALLY fuckin' hate AMD fan seats. Every time I seat the fan and try to snap it in, I feel like I'm about to break my mobo.

At least GTX's are a breeze to install in my giant-ass case.

It would suck giant donkey balls, I paid more than I ever care to again for a mobo. And I won't be able to buy a new one for a while, so I hope the Droid Eris can play Counter-Strike D:

ssorry about your situation lamp,

but i had to say,

Eris ftw! i have had one since november.

but yeah, you might have shocked your mobo, so just try around with different PSU and monitor like weeman said

/wrists

I'm about to do that before I RMA my mobo. I just REALLY fuckin' hate AMD fan seats. Every time I seat the fan and try to snap it in, I feel like I'm about to break my mobo.

At least GTX's are a breeze to install in my giant-ass case.

No reason to reseat your CPU and HSF. The power supply is not the issue, if it was it would not even turn on and you are running nowhere near the 650watt limit that corsair requires.

Do as monkey said, reseat all the cables and check connections, sounds like the RAM needs reseated really, but you never know. If you have any parts, test with known good :guyfromhell:

/wrists

I just REALLY fuckin' hate AMD fan seats. Every time I seat the fan and try to snap it in, I feel like I'm about to break my mobo.

yea man, i only got 2 successfully clipped in, other 2 felt like the mobo was going to snap so i said fuck it. going to get a new fan that terry showed me soon anyways

Why didn't you just download the ISO online, mount on a virtual drive, and then just use your CD Key to activate? Technically speaking it would be a "back-up" virtual disk.

As for your power problem, it could be an issue if you have your computer plugged into a multi-outlet. Many people don't realize how badly that drains your power, and could be the source of your problems. If your not already try plugging it into a direct outlet. At nothing I am fairly sure its just your power-supply.