Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

My < $800 PC build. Am I on the right track?

Cefdinir

So I have not quite finalized everything, but so far this is whats in my cart. I just wanted to check with the guru's on here if they have any insight.

This would be my first Radeon HD GPU and I don't know much about them so opinions would help.

Also this would be my first quad core CPU and I haven't had an AMD chip since ~2006, so I am kind of behind the curve on that too. :(

The use I hope to get out of this PC is mostly gaming on high to max settings with some light video editing.

Specs:

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

MSI R5770-PM2D1G-OC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model HY63I1B16K

Seventeam ST-650ZAF 650W ATX 12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis with Dual Oversized 230mm Ultra-Silent Cooling Fans VJ400G1N2Z Mid Tower

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ965FBGMBOX

MSI 790X-G45 AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Gift - Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Coupon

Thanks,

CEF :push:

Edited by Cefdinir

You're on the right track, a few things I would change.

1. The WD green HD's are 5400 RPMs, that's going to slow you down. Look into the 320/640 blue and black Western digital series as they are dual platter and 7200RPM.

2. I don't know how MSI has been lately but I've not been a fan of them from past experience. I would look into a different brand video card and motherboard. Consider the XFX/HIS/Sapphire videocards and asus/gigabyte/evga/dfi motherboards.

3. Switch PSU to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

The asus m4a series motherboards have gotten great reviews. XFX is my favorite videocard brand.

Other questions. Are there any pros/cons in the comparison between the 955 Deneb and the 965 Deneb other than one extra multiplier, higher stock clock speed, and higher price?

If there isn't much of a difference could I go with the 955 over the 965 and be fine? Because I plan to overclock later on when I get the right HSF.

Thanks again Terry!!

If anyone has any experience with the Radeon HD 5770 please chime in. According to the latest passmark bench its right up there with the GTX 260 c216 that I had not too long ago and I loved that GPU.

Updated Specs:

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model HY63I1B16K

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

What's surprising is that the updated cart right now costs less, has less combo deals, and/or same/better products plus $1.99 shipping, lol!

I have the GTS 250 and it runs every game i play (minus BC2) on max settings. (Had to turn down antialiasing and other thing i can remember to 4x to prevent game crashes) Its a great card, and I'm thinking about getting another. Other than that, great build! Have fun with your new pc.

This is similar to my current build. The ASUS board you are choosing would require you to have some knowledge of how to set the timings of your ram. If you know how to do that, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't, You'll might want to change to a different ASUS board or learn how. If you don't set it correctly, It'll lead to BSOD's or not even run at all. Now, for the Video card. I understand you're going for the bang for the buck, but I would go with BFG Tech. Not only does it have a lifetime warrant, which they will fullfill; If they don't carry that board, say in a few years you want to upgrade. If your current one goes bad, they'll send you a newer card of a newer model. BFG is probably the best Nvidia brand due to their lifetime warranty. That ram isn't a bad choice.

This is similar to my current build. The ASUS board you are choosing would require you to have some knowledge of how to set the timings of your ram. If you know how to do that, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't, You'll might want to change to a different ASUS board or learn how. If you don't set it correctly, It'll lead to BSOD's or not even run at all. Now, for the Video card. I understand you're going for the bang for the buck, but I would go with BFG Tech. Not only does it have a lifetime warrant, which they will fullfill; If they don't carry that board, say in a few years you want to upgrade. If your current one goes bad, they'll send you a newer card of a newer model. BFG is probably the best Nvidia brand due to their lifetime warranty. That ram isn't a bad choice.

Thanks Static, for the tips.

Ram timings do not cause BSOD's. It takes 30 seconds to set your timings anyway, why does that matter? LMAO

BFG best brand ever? Are you serious? XFX is a double lifetime warranty anyway, wow.

Personally id go with an intel processor.

lol k