Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

CPU acting up?

Slazenger

Well to cut straight to the chase, I've built several desktops for fun and for my personal use (and family members). I've never had an issue until I built the current computer I'm using at home. I put it together a little more than half a year ago, but didn't get much time to use it since my parents wouldn't let me take it to college...

So I'm at the end of spring break now and I've realized that it is super sluggish. I have 4gb of ddr3, good gfx card, and all that...

When I try to play videos or multitask, my computer lags like crazy. I get skips and at times my cursor just skips for 5-10 seconds and then it's fine. When I run a fullscreen game however, it runs like a champ (as long as other things aren't going on in the background).

core.jpg

I was wondering if something isn't exactly right with my CPU? I'm not a huge techie on the hardware side and I don't know squat about technical readouts...I've just seen other CPU-Z readouts for dual core processors where the Core Speed matches the specified speed the processor should be running at. So is my processor broken, acting up, dead?

Thanks for any help.

If a had a guess it looks like you are underclocked to 1.92GHz. :/

I had an E8500 and I was running it at about 4.0 GHz on a decent HSF with no problem.

If my calculations are right you need to bump up your bus speed in the BIOS to about 332.63 (round up to 333) to get it back to 3.16 GHz.

Also, what speed RAM are you using?

-CEF

Edited by Cefdinir

If a had a guess it looks like you are underclocked to 1.92GHz. :/

I had an E8500 and I was running it at about 4.0 GHz on a decent HSF with no problem.

If my calculations are right you need to bump up your bus speed in the BIOS to about 332.63 to get it back to 3.16 GHz.

Also, what speed RAM are you using?

-CEF

You'd have to walk me through that. xD

Ram is 1333 Corsair Dominator.