Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Electric Company just fried my RAM...

JZoreo

Well today, my comp was running while I was gone and our local electric company failed to process my payment...and shut off my power. As soon as I learned this, I contacted them, cleared it up...and they sent someone out to turn it back on. However, upon powering up my pc and diving into a BC2 game, my comp crashed promptly with a blue screen error talking about win32.sys....I ran some memtests and sure enough, it's all screwed now. So I'm going to begin looking at new 4 gig sets while scraping together money...do you guys think I may be able to talk to my electric company about possible reimbursement? I'm raging right now and anything that gets my poor ass out of having to buy more memory would be great. I just got on the damn scrim squad too...ARJHGHKSAHjfkdshgsdkgh!

Well today, my comp was running while I was gone and our local electric company failed to process my payment...and shut off my power. As soon as I learned this, I contacted them, cleared it up...and they sent someone out to turn it back on. However, upon powering up my pc and diving into a BC2 game, my comp crashed promptly with a blue screen error talking about win32.sys....I ran some memtests and sure enough, it's all screwed now. So I'm going to begin looking at new 4 gig sets while scraping together money...do you guys think I may be able to talk to my electric company about possible reimbursement? I'm raging right now and anything that gets my poor ass out of having to buy more memory would be great. I just got on the damn scrim squad too...ARJHGHKSAHjfkdshgsdkgh!

its worth a shot, btw if your brave enough you can makes a scene about it and either you will get some money or the police called on you...

Edited by Moto
fixed quote

I'll see if i can record my phone call...should be funny at the least...

On that note, make sure you know your area's consent laws. In KS, I can record any of my conversations because it's a single party consent state, but many others aren't. This can land you in jail and jail is bad. lol

As far as the power going out is concerned, it never hurts to ask, but most people either take the risk and eat any damages that come from power imbalances or pick up a UPS. Hell, maybe it's covered under renter's/homeowner's insurance.

Yeah, really the only hope I had of them possibly paying for it is that they cut my power when I had paid...they acknowledged i paid...they know its on there end so maybe if I'm just a big enough of an asshole, I can get them to take care of it. Easier for them to shell out a 100$ then me >_>...*starts looking at RAM kits on newegg*

Unless it's a "mom & pop" power company that might have some feelings, don't waste your time going for a reimbursement via the power company. The total value of your RAM < min. for small claims court and < cost of lawyer.

Guest The_Monkey

Here is an idea...buy a better powersupply, and possibly a decent UPS. Then, if the power goes out again, your crap won't splode.

Guest The_Monkey
I do. Along with ample amounts of octane booster.

You aren't even old enough to ride a bicycle. So unless you are talking about the imaginary gas tank on your tricycle :stfu:

u sure what ur describing isn't a "lightning strike"? lol. well that sux actually. good thing is i think 4 gigs of decenrt DDR2 ram is only like $40 bucks now. p.s. get a surge protecter i have one on all my PCs

• 2 weeks later...