Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

ATI Graphics Card Issue.

Two-Step

Just got done building my new computer and everything seems to be working great, other than that the monitor doesn't appear to be receiving a signal from the graphics card. The monitor works fine when plugged in normally, but when I start up with it plugged into the graphics card it just stays in sleep mode.

The drivers for the card are installed correctly, windows is finding it under Device Manager, as far as I can tell it isn't an issue with the onboard card taking priority over the new card :dots:

So yah, any help you could give me would be awesome.

This is a link to the actual card:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

what is your PSU? are the extra 6 and 4 pin connectors plugged in properly? i had this issue with an older card and apparently the minimum PSU supply i needed for the card (not the one your using now) was 700 so double check on that and the connectors.

what is your PSU? are the extra 6 and 4 pin connectors plugged in properly? i had this issue with an older card and apparently the minimum PSU supply i needed for the card (not the one your using now) was 700 so double check on that and the connectors.

^This

Also, you could always try disabling your onboard drivers just to make sure there isn't a conflict. You might also be able to nix the chip altogether in BIOS.

Addition to what Weeman said, make sure you didn't use the blue 6 pins for the video card coming from the PSU. This was my problem. Use one of the main connections to hook up your video card.

Another problem may be in the BIOS, did you set the video to the video card slot and not onboard?

Let us know!

Just got done building my new computer and everything seems to be working great, other than that the monitor doesn't appear to be receiving a signal from the graphics card. The monitor works fine when plugged in normally, but when I start up with it plugged into the graphics card it just stays in sleep mode.

The drivers for the card are installed correctly, windows is finding it under Device Manager, as far as I can tell it isn't an issue with the onboard card taking priority over the new card :dots:

So yah, any help you could give me would be awesome.

This is a link to the actual card:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

So monitor gets video when plugged into onboard but not into main video card?

Make sure videocard is powering on. Try re-seating the card. Make sure its receiving proper power connections and that you have enough juice to power it.

What PSU you have?

What motherboard?

I've got a 650W PSU, the card only needs a 500W. Far as I can tell it's getting enough power.....

It's powered on and I've tried reseating it.

I've looked through the BIOS like 10 times now and I can't seem to find how to switch between the onboard and slotted card. Reading the manual 4 times didn't help.

I had the same problem with a radeon HD 4350 i bought, my solution was as wingless said my onboard was over riding the new one, i just had to disable the onboard graphics, isn't there an option for disabling in device manager?

Edited by Nighte

Thats more than enough power....try a diff PCI slot or try it in another PC and see what happens.

I could try it in the other slot, but the only other PC I have is a microtower. This graphics card is the size of a shoe, and will not fit. lol

well i dunno what OS you're using but i was using windows xp and in control panel>hardware>device manager all i had to do was find where the onboard graphics were, bouble clicks and in 1 of the tabs it had a DISABLE button, im on a new pc now with windows 7 and im tryin to go thru my system as we speak to see if i can be better help

If I recall correctly on that specific Mobo, the bottom PCIe slot is the default slot. In order to run it on the top slot you need to put the PCIe switch card in the bottom slot and your GPU in the top. The switch card came with your mobo.

switch-card.jpg

Edited by Cefdinir

OMFG I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE THIS.

The reason I've been having issues with everything from the graphic card drivers to ficking firefox is because when I jumped the mobo to rest my BIOS settings and all that, it set the system clock to 2002. So is was reading all this programs as not certified because well.... they didn't exist yet.

Awesome.

ANYWAY, the #1 slot is the top slot but after a few choice google searches it turns out that this is a common problem that can sometimes be solved by putting the card in the #2 slot. Something to do with the Crossfire stuff. Lucky me, it is now working perfectly... for now.