Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

WD External Harddrive

Darkplanner

Link to Product:

WD My Passport Essential 500GB Desktop Hard Drive (XH2087) | Dick Smith Online Store

Hey Guys,

I want to buy a external drive simply becuase USB's suck (keep corrupting) and I need more storage area.

So after some research I have chosen this one.

WD My Passport Essential 500GB Desktop Hard Drive

I might buy the 320GB version. There is also a elite version but I don't know what is different with that.

The only problem I have is that many people/reviews online say it has a bad transfer rate. Some say it took over an hour to copy a 110 MB video file which I think is totally unreasonable.

If you guys have better products (MUST BE 500GB OR 320GB/ Also must be USB powered and support live backup) please tell me about them and give me links (I dont live in the US but newegg links will be fine)

The only reason im not buying this is because of the transfer rate even though its listed as

Data transfer rate: Up to 480 Mbâ„sec.

Thanks in Advance!

Buy an internal drive and an enclosure. It's usually much cheaper that way. And also, don't forget, transfer rates are limited by connectivity. Make sure you have USB 2.0.

Also, I just looked at that and holy crap, that's overpriced.

Edited by I Love Lamp

The only reason im not buying this is because of the transfer rate even though its listed as

Data transfer rate: Up to 480 Mbâ„sec.

yeah, any hard drive you get will be much faster than the USB connection that the data has to squeeze through

The 480 Mbit/s speed they list is the theoretical limit for USB2.0 bandwidth.

List of device bit rates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will never actually be that high. If the hardware is cheep, it could potentially be much lower. Basically, USB is good for convenience and portability. Not speed.