Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Laptop for college

lilshortstuf

Browse Tiger Direct and Newegg. They always have awesome deals on laptops. With laptops though, they pretty much come in 2 flavors, bulky gaming laptops or ultralight browsing laptops. It's not all cut and dry though, and there are some real nice dual core laptops around that aren't power beasts.

Alienware!! okay so this is the second post i've name dropped Alienware, okay so Dell owns them but it hasn't lowered the quality, but it HAS made a decrease in pricing, Dell has had 4 years to screw up and alienware still get's pc/laptop of the year almost every single time, the new m11x starts at $799, the upgrades you should get for it specially for newer games total package is $1133, you can do more upgrades but i built it so that it doesnt break the bank, if you really want to spend some bread you could get the m17x but i think most people need financing for that

Edited by Nighte

Alienware!! okay so this is the second post i've name dropped Alienware, okay so Dell owns them but it hasn't lowered the quality, but it HAS made a decrease in pricing, Dell has had 4 years to screw up and alienware still get's pc/laptop of the year almost every single time, the new m11x starts at $799, the upgrades you should get for it specially for newer games total package is $1133, you can do more upgrades but i built it so that it doesnt break the bank, if you really want to spend some bread you could get the m17x but i think most people need financing for that

That's because dell owns them but they are still separate from dell :unsure:

Oh and alienware is overpriced 90% of the time....I'd look at the HP/Toshiba/Dell laptops first.

That's because dell owns them but they are still separate from dell :unsure:

Oh and alienware is overpriced 90% of the time....I'd look at the HP/Toshiba/Dell laptops first.

Seconding this. Thirding?

I carry around my netbook pretty much everywhere I go, and I bought hardware that can do any type of work with relative ease, but I wouldn't be gaming on it. Just a thought depending on your budget.

Guest The_Monkey
Seconding this. Thirding?

I carry around my netbook pretty much everywhere I go, and I bought hardware that can do any type of work with relative ease, but I wouldn't be gaming on it. Just a thought depending on your budget.

I will "Third" this.

I use two laptops when I am on the go (grab a different bag depending on what I want to do). I have a 17" dell that I take if I want to code on the go. I have an Alienware M11x (btw, I hate Alienware...but the size, it is so tiny it is worth it) that I grab when I want decent battery life, but enough power to do fun things like game and photoshop.

In the past I used HP and Toshiba laptops. I only switched to Dell for warranty reasons.

Watch the front page of Slickdeals.net. You can find a decent deal on an okay laptop there.

If you can stretch it, get a netbook for work/school and build a tower for play. Netbooks are getting cheaper every week (hell Verizon was giving them away a while back), and that way you can have your cake and eat it too.

This was the way I was thinking when I picked up my gear. I rebuilt my desktop 2 or so years ago with decent parts, went from my dated Blackberry to a G1 and then Nexus One to take care of just about anything while mobile, and then picked up a netbook to cover the in-between.

I bought a Gateway LT series for $370, which has an Athlon XP instead of an Atom, 2 gigs of ram instead of 1, a 250 gig HDD instead of 160 and about an inch more on the screen. The extra hardware was well worth the 70 bucks over your "cookie cutter" netbook builds, and it's still 3 pounds. :P

The HP dv5/dv6 line is usually good for the middle ground. Or if you have a $1000 laying around, go to newegg and look for this beauty!

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv6-2190us NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M

beats the SHIT out of alienware. that would be 1700 and have the same parts :/

• 2 weeks later...
If you can stretch it, get a netbook for work/school and build a tower for play. Netbooks are getting cheaper every week (hell Verizon was giving them away a while back), and that way you can have your cake and eat it too.

+9999...

Netbooks are good for work.

well it really all depends on what your willing to pay first of all laptops wernt ment for gameing and still arnt ment for gameing im typeing this up fast so dont mark me down 4 typos lols well anyways most name brand laptops are good just need to know what u need as other people have said slickdeals is a great website to find a laptop in your price range it depends on what games you play and everthing aka if you want to play crysis on very high settings almost near impossible because we all know crysis 1 was a lag machine .....Alienware M17x Laptop Product Details | Dell how much money you have is the real question and how big you want the laptop well anyways just what i sudjust for you in price range is the Qosmio X505-Q860 is 1,1k or grand but will run almost anygame you can throw at it its a i5 processor or if you want to go cheaper in the 800 range the dell Studio 17or Studio 1558 or Alienware M11x its all about give and take studio you get more ram alienware get better video card :wtf:

well it really all depends on what your willing to pay first of all laptops wernt ment for gameing and still arnt ment for gameing im typeing this up fast so dont mark me down 4 typos lols well anyways most name brand laptops are good just need to know what u need as other people have said slickdeals is a great website to find a laptop in your price range it depends on what games you play and everthing aka if you want to play crysis on very high settings almost near impossible because we all know crysis 1 was a lag machine .....Alienware M17x Laptop Product Details | Dell how much money you have is the real question and how big you want the laptop well anyways just what i sudjust for you in price range is the Qosmio X505-Q860 is 1,1k or grand but will run almost anygame you can throw at it its a i5 processor or if you want to go cheaper in the 800 range the dell Studio 17or Studio 1558 or Alienware M11x its all about give and take studio you get more ram alienware get better video card :wtf:

Angry_Teapot_by_a1calypso.jpg