Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Get@Me

ttaM

No, 4G is network side, they just have to make the phones capable of reaching that new network configuration.

4G is said to be 10 times faster than 3G in terms of download speeds. When Sprint opens up 4G to voice calls there will be a difference too, no more dropped fucking calls, pz AT&T.

You keep telling yourself that.

:P once the network is established that's the hope. It doesn't look like we'll be seeing 4G calls for a while though.

Yes, but what I am saying is that there won't be any actual difference in the network. They will say its "better" but it will actually just 3G with a 4.

Its kind of like eating the Chicken Salads at McDonald's. They say its healthy for you, but you know your fatty self is just consuming a green cheeseburger....

Wrong, but you were on a decent enough streak up until that point. This isn't 1980 anymore.

Do you NEED the other things on the phone? do you NEED a gps, a map, the internet, games, "how to tie a tie", where is the closest coffee bar? NO you do NOT need these. It is STILL A PHONE with ADDED things that are NOT necessary.

They only make you THINK that you need all these addons. + It was only a metaphor. To prove the point that they only add small useless things and make you think it's the end of the world if you don't have it.

The difference in the network is the speed it's able to produce.

Yeah, there is one more number, but the reason there's one more number is because the original hardware built for 3G is capped and it can't get much better.

Do you NEED the other things on the phone? do you NEED a gps, a map, the internet, games, "how to tie a tie", where is the closest coffee bar? NO you do NOT need these. It is STILL A PHONE with ADDED things that are NOT necessary.

They only make you THINK that you need all these addons. + It was only a metaphor. To prove the point that they only add small useless things and make you think it's the end of the world if you don't have it.

Do you need the internet on your computer?

Hold your tongue sir. How dare you insult Lord Master Of Darkness Wingless. How would I live without knowing what the cost of Gasoline in Mexico is? How could I be expected to know how to get somewhere without an automated computer lady telling me where to turn? How could I even step outside my house without knowing that I can remotely turn my house lights on and off? Next to God my Iphone is my lowly companion out their in a sea of lies and deceit. A light at the end of a very bleak tunnel if you will. That is why sir, repent, and you shall be forgiven for your transgressions.

Says a guy sitting at his computer, on the internet, arguing on an internet forum.

ANYWAYS, I saw an article on slashdot somewhere that listed a test of the 4G speeds at 5down 1 up, which is a hell of a lot better than 3G. I think most 3G networks hover around 1 down .25-.5 up.

Like I said, this isn't the 80s anymore. You may not NEED to access the internet and you may not NEED to stop golfing during an electrical storm, but these are concepts that we've become accustomed to and society has advanced based upon them. Being able to access restaurant reviews on demand based upon a scanned QR code or your GPS location is another way to communicate and share information. In your world, you would have to call someone you know from a pay phone and hope they answer, and THEN hope that they've been there before to get the same information as is readily available in your pocket.

The military has been going tech heavy for the same reasons. They don't NEED to be able to track each other through GPS and they don't NEED lightweight body armor that is the same strength as what they're wearing now, but it's a hell of a lot nicer.

As far as 4G goes, there was an actual backhaul to support those kinds of speeds. Now, I figure it's just as infantile of a network as 3G was when it came to my town (spotty top speeds, dropping to EDGE on certain towers) but the potential is there. It'll be interesting to see.