Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

tech question about video card

stanger

Was going to buy a second video card for my wife's puter but the damn thing is not available right now its this::

Newegg.com - XFX GS250XZDFU GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

but i saw one that have pretty much the same specs as the other one which is this::

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

but dont know if the video cards have to be identical by the same makers or what .

If you could let me know.

As long as you have a SLI-certified motherboard and matching cards (not as much any more), you can use any video card.

however the exception is if you have two video cards of differing memory, the total memory used will be the lowest amount.

I'm pretty sure SLI works on two cards (or three if you're insane) of the same chipset, disregarding manufacturer. It should work if you have a bridge.

You are talking about two cards simultaneously correct?

yes 2 cards at once cause my puter has all the same 3 ati 5870 that i bought at the same time and all are the same everything so i didnt run into that.