Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Looking for help in building a computer

-O-P-rime

Core i7 :D or i5 maybe...

Good mobo brands: (depends on who you ask): Asus, Gigabyte, MSI (ugh...)

Video cards: the new nvidia graphic cards seem to be a lot more future-proofing (based on tessellation benchmarks ... -.-) than ATI...

Honestly, it is up to you... budget wise though if you want to look for a good balance, don't expect running into any of the high-end stuff.. especially in the range of <1000 .

Examples of the high-end stuff: nVidia GTX480, ATI Radeon HD5970... Core i7 870, 980X... etc...

dont forget the phenom ii and athlon ii can have cores unlocked

my point<3 (:

the Athlon ii and phenom ii lines are really nice. they're not too expensive, and the cards i posted are BUDGET. if you want something to play tf2 or css to have 400+ fps for some dumb reason, get something higher from the Radeon HD 57 series. other than that it gets too high. if you want a good graphics card, better than the 5000 series besides the 58-59, get a radeon hd 4890 or 4850 x2. they're 'olded' but are still one of the best video cards on the market.

I'd do something like this. If you wanted to save money, go for an PHII x2 (save you about 70$) or a HD 5830 video card. (save 80$)

Thanks man! Im still new to the whole computer parts and all that shit after having worked with music for all my life. Would this be able to say, work with games like crysis on a not so shitty scale?

Here is the list... I must say I am considering building this now that I set it up.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15135266

I went with the i5 because it has the quad core sexiness of an i7 and all of the overclocking capabilities just minus the cost. It is the best deal they have imo. The 5770 is a solid card for the price as well, and I have always trusted Asus for mobos. WD makes nice hard drives, I have one in my system now and I have never had a flaw. Lite-On has good, cheap cd/dvd drives. I am a big fan of Kingston RAM, but that can be swapped out for pretty much any name brand, 4GB is the way to go though.

As far as the case, it is pretty much entirely up to you. I threw in the coolermaster because it is a tool-less easy to use gaming case that looks nice at a mid-range price. Good airflow and such as well... but you can go more or less expensive, cases are just a matter of personal preference in the end.

If you have any questions about the actual build part refer to the instructions in your mobo, those will guide you through pretty much everything. Also, as you probably know keep an eye on static electricity, build in a cool area free of any rugs or anything. I built mine in my garage. Always have a good grounding object near by, some piece of metal that you can keep touching to make sure all static electricity is away from you.

And if you want to know anything else feel free to ask me :)