Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

how to clear a hard drive to reformat it to window 7

stanger

Ok i just got windows 7 for my puter and i used a extra hard drive to put it on but the hard drive that i had my old xp setup i want to reformat for the new setup for storage so when i start my computer i dont see both verizon to choose from ie xp and 7 i just want it to go to the new setup.

First question: is it detected in Windows already, if yes... you can just right click on the HDD and goto the context option: "Format" that'll take it from there.

If it's not detected in Windows, you would need to "initialise it" by typing in "diskmgmt.msc" into run, you'll see your other harddrives and optical drives... find the newly added on and right click on it... there should be an "online" or "initialise" setting. Once that's done you can right click on it again and format.

Typically speaking, your brand new OS (Windows 7) will not load the prior Windows unless it's specified in the BCD config file so don't worry about that.

If it's not detected by Windows, try re-plugging in the cables and ensure the BIOS as well, detects it...