Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Carl's new rig (Needing sme help - long read tho)

CampingCarl

You may have seen this thread on general, I've moved it here.

CampingCarl needs a techie for gaming rig help (plz refrain the trolling in this one)

So the reason a lot of you haven't seen much of me (to some may seem like a god send) is I've been moving often and haven't had a sufficient chance to set up interwebs.

If you actually enjoyed me, then I would appreciate your solid help for this staggering decision. I'm not too much of a computer techie so I'm completely confused about which parts are suit for gaming nowadays.

Since the holiday season is coming near, I thought it'd be a perfect chance to start buying peices for a new gaming rig.

I've never spent the time to learn how computers work specifically, and how to build them and what is and isn't good. So I'm turning to the one community that either been completely against me since the start or have loved keeping me around (Clark, Wild Bill <3)

Now my current rig has a built in processor, HDD, an OLD video card - like mid 2006, only 2 GB of DDR2 ram, an 18 inch monitor, and a built in motherboard. Windows xp obviously.

I'm not too interested in buying a new monitor (mines an 18 inch non widescreen hp monitor, dont know specs atm), so you can check that off. The only problem is I'm probably only going to have between 900-1300$ by the time the holidays come about. So my range should be roughly $1000. But using newegg can stretch it far

I know for sure I want to get either an I5 or I7 intel core processor, but not sure whether to get dual, tri-core, or quad core, or even hexicore (if possible for I5/I7 - pretty sure it is, like i said not too computer savvy)

I would need complete help with the selection of a motherboard to support my rig, when it comes to gaming I don't know a thing about motherboards.

A good video card is obviously a must, but again, not sure which to pick for my price range. (I don't flex my e-penis as hard as I can. Remember, I just want to run games for the next 5-6 years really well [60 fps+])

RAM seems to be pretty simple, but with this new rig I would need help with selection, I believe DDR3 is the type that this comp would be using.

As for a hard drive I would probably prefer switching my current one in, so I don't have to xfer info. I have a sata hard drive. But if that proves unwise or impossible no more than 200 gigs is really necessary, I believe mine is 65 gigs max. (bad) If a new one is required I would need to speak with someone about xfering the info onto windows 7, because i would upgrade to win 7 x64 with a new hard drive. Just need to xfer some games i cant find cd-keys for, like Warcraft 3 etc. I was thinking of using an external hard drive or flash drive for this process, if possible.

For sound, dont care much as long as it sounds good enough. I don't need beats audio.

Mouse is just a regular logitech 2 button scroll wheel mouse (hey its comfortable)

Keyboard is fine but has an old ps/2 plug, might upgrade it to a gaming one. Although I've grown accustomed to its unique feels. (Flatter buttons and different keystroke feel)

All of these specs are off the top of my head since my computer is still packed up and cant pull it out atm.

If you are interested in helping me, I really do appreciate it. Remember, I don't plan too much on getting a new monitor, but my price range us roughly 1000$. If you think I really need a new monitor talk to me about it.

Will probably update this when i start compiling a list of what i plan on being my final build.

Would also have a few questions regarding drivers for the v-card and any other hardware.

Thanks for reading.

The best bang for the buck processors are

I3 530 (1156) I5 750(1156) and i7 920/930 (1366)

The best motherboards are the MSI GD80 (socket1156) or ASUS P6T (socket 1366)

Best Value videocards are the GTX460 768MB try to pay close to $150-180 and the ATi HD5870 $360

Advice and details beyond that youre going to have to provide more information.

If you want future proof, get:

A Quad-Core CPU.

4GB of RAM (Prefer 6GB instead, but that's just me)

If you like to watch movies, and listen to music a lot 1TB should be good enough

Sound - Depends on you. And Also depend if your using Speakers or Headphones.

GPU - If you wait till Christmas or so, ATI will be releasing there 6k series in November (Idk if i read the release date correctly.)

Thats just a few to get you started. I'll be happy to help if you need help.