Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

I need some advice.

FatBat

I want to get a new graphics card. Mine is getting up there in age and it shows. On average on medium setting it will sit between 6-14 FPS. I was wonder if the card I want will be a good upgrade from the old 4600 series I have.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5660536

I just need something that can play CSS and L4D1&2 around 40 so I can actually get some kills. I hate putting my setting all on low because that isn't how a game is meant to played. Anyways is the HD 5770 my next step or is there something else i should consider?

I am running a HD4670. I have a e7300 with 4 gigs of ram and 500 gig hard drive. The processor is running at 2.5 with 266.5 bus speed. HD4670 is sitting on a gig of DDR2 at core of 165 MHz. Is that enough info to get the job done or you need more sir.

Edited by FatBat

I am running a HD4670. I have a e7300 with 4 gigs of ram and 500 gig hard drive. The processor is running at 2.5 with 266.5 bus speed. HD4670 is sitting on a gig of DDR2 at core of 165 MHz. Is that enough info to get the job done or you need more sir.

Well your CPU is a bit behind for source games, that's PART of the issue depending on how big of a server you play in and what resolution you play at. (1280x1024 and above). 4gb is plenty of ram. You could research overclocking that CPU and getting a cooler (most cost effective thing to do)

The 4670 card itself is not that great, even a 4850/4870 is a huge upgrade over it.

If you have a power supply that will support it, I'd go for the HD 5770, then upgrade your CPU/mobo/ram later. You WILL notice a good improvement just form the video card.

Fatbat, I'd Recommend That if your PSU Is what i expect it to be I would recommend getting an Antec 650W. Since a 5770 Will have a 6 or 8 pin PSU. If your in it for the budget. What is Your board? If its an AM3 Id get an Athlon 2 Quad core @ 2.8Ghz, Its Worth the 100$ and you won't be dissatisfied. Really, In my Honest opinion You'd be better off saving Idk, 1500 bucks and doing a full overhaul. 4 GB of RAM will be 'out of Style" In an estimated 6 months. I Would recommend Another 2 - 4 GB So you don't have to worry about it. But, To me atleast, Trying to Upgrade a PC That is geting 6 -8 FPS Is Just a money pit. As I said Befoe...et... 1500 Is an over investment. I don't know your financial status. I will give you a smaller # that will get you a decent PC. 750? 1000? Something aroudn there should keep you rolling for years.

Zinthius I am running a Core 2 Duo E 7200. I dont like amd and I am planning on doing a overhaul once I get a more stable of a job. I need to upgrade my system in about 3-6 different areas. One of which is the power supply and another is the ram. I would also like to upgrade my chip but that means a new board first.So I am taking it slow. if worse comes to worse I will get a cheap 650 and call it till I can afford a better quality one.

oh and the winner for the exact card I will choose is...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131327&cm_re=powercolor_pcs%2b_ax5770-_-14-131-327-_-Product Power Collor

Biggest bang for the buck. Well that I could find and all my friends added in there vote.