Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

New Power Supply

Blitzkrieg

I recently bought starcraft 2 and it randomly freezes and then boots me from games. I was told it was a video problem so i turned all my settings down to low. Still happens, although not as much, but when it does, i completely crash. I was thinking about buying a new video card, but then i realized i only have a 375W power supply.....

tl;dr - I need a cheep, high wattage power supply that is trustworthy.

70$ - 10$ rebate - 60$ Corsair 450VX 28 12v amps single rail

If you can swing 20 more I would get the 650 watt corsair and never have to worry about a PSU again (will be enough for your next CPU build)

A power supply is something you do NOT skimp on. It fails and it will take out parts with it most of the time.

Terry, would the 450 watt power supply be able to run http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572 along with motherboard HDD etc...??

If not, i'll have to buy the 650, but i'd rather not spend more, short on cash.

Yes, It should run it fine. What's your cpu again?

Edit: Lol, have you guys heard of psu's that aren't corsair?

Terry, would the 450 watt power supply be able to run http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572 along with motherboard HDD etc...??

If not, i'll have to buy the 650, but i'd rather not spend more, short on cash.

Yeah that will work fine. Just don't get the 430 watt corsair PSU (replaced the 400 watt), they changed some things and its a turd.

Yes, It should run it fine. What's your cpu again?

Edit: Lol, have you guys heard of psu's that aren't corsair?

I haven't seen you post anything thats better for the same $ or less

just got my power supply in the mail earlier today (450W). Installed it and it worked fine. Turned on computer, played one game of SC2, then all the sudden, shut off and wont turn back on... I did put on new thermal paste to my cpu while i was in there, but it was idling at a cool temperature, so i don't think that's the problem. I have to wait for an RMA from corsair... joy.

only thing that bothers me is that a light in my computer is still on while the psu is plugged in, which leads me to believe the psu is fine, but i don't know what's wrong...

Edited by Blitzkrieg

just got my power supply in the mail earlier today (450W). Installed it and it worked fine. Turned on computer, played one game of SC2, then all the sudden, shut off and wont turn back on... I did put on new thermal paste to my cpu while i was in there, but it was idling at a cool temperature, so i don't think that's the problem. I have to wait for an RMA from corsair... joy.

only thing that bothers me is that a light in my computer is still on while the psu is plugged in, which leads me to believe the psu is fine, but i don't know what's wrong...

Do the fans and lights spin up/turn on? How bout the video card fan? Sounds to me like something else is broke.

no, the only thing that is on is a little orange light, other than that, i press the power button and nothing happens. Just to add, whenever it was running, it made this buzzing noise, that was annoying but bearable, does that have soemthing to do with it?

-edit: add me on steam if you want, i sent a request, we could chat faster

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a micro center or frys electronics near by then your in luck! They have the best deals on power supplies. Got my 700watt modular psu from coolmax for 40 bucks. look around Ultra, Corsair, Antec, and some rocket fish psu's work very well and last long for a good price!

One major thing to consider is how much amps you're pumping out on one line. I have a kilowatt on a 15A breaker. That's 10A I'm drawing continuously. I only really have enough room to have my modem/tv/cable box/light on at the same time. I'm considering just running an extension from another room on a different fuse to split up the load so I can play some fucking Xbox.

And make sure you have a surge protector. I can count on 5 hands how many times I've heard people say their power went out and when it came back on, boom to the PSU.

As for receiving the DOA, I've learned in the past to always order two PSUs, Procs and Mobos. If one is dead, send it back and use the other one you already got...get the new one and save it as a backup. Trading it in for credit/another part will fuck you in the long run if something blows out.