Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Computer Issues?

dizyvipr

I need help...I'm the ONLY computer geek in my family and I don't even know that much about computers

Right now we are having a HUGE problem.

Our computer likes to shut its self down randomly...

It's an Acer computer that we have owned for about 3 years. My uncle thinks it MIGHT be our processor and that we need to buy a new one...but I wanted to check in here and make sure so we don't do something completely stupid and useless...

So...any thoughts?

Most likely you have to open your computer and clean it. Lots of dust can build up in there. It may be good idea to go buy a better heatsink. It would randomly shut down because the sensors automatically detect high cpu temps. So if you have a air compressor blow out all the dust. If not go to walmart and buy some compressed air.

Like others said it could be a virus. So check! Good Luck

Do you smell a burning chemical compound? - Thermal grease needs to be replaced.

I've built a lot of computers in my days and the power supply was always the problem for these random shutdowns. Sometimes the capacitors are faulty/or pop and can't hold a charge resulting in low to no feed of continuous power.

First Question, What OS And Is it Legit/Pirated If it's been upgraded.

Second, have you tried to fully reformat your computer?

Third, Do you have anyone under like 14 going on the computer?Then it could be a virus.

As Cross Said, Do you smell any chemical compound? if So you'll have you grease it us.

Have you taken the front off and analyzed the dust inside of it?

Little objects ontop of your board, Are they set on? Have some exploded?

When you turn it on, Does it sound like it's hurting to run?

Can you give us a picture of where it's located? Computers will shut off if they are to hot, If it's in a very closed space it's a mixture of heat grease and dust that's causing it. Hope i helped.

First Question, What OS And Is it Legit/Pirated If it's been upgraded.

Second, have you tried to fully reformat your computer?

Third, Do you have anyone under like 14 going on the computer?Then it could be a virus.

As Cross Said, Do you smell any chemical compound? if So you'll have you grease it us.

Have you taken the front off and analyzed the dust inside of it?

Little objects ontop of your board, Are they set on? Have some exploded?

When you turn it on, Does it sound like it's hurting to run?

Can you give us a picture of where it's located? Computers will shut off if they are to hot, If it's in a very closed space it's a mixture of heat grease and dust that's causing it. Hope i helped.

Oh jeez :oo:

Power supply. Final answer.

A virus wouldn't cause your computer to overheat -_- UNLESS someone was asshole-enough to disable the heatsink..

(This is nasty and i've seen it done before)

Disable the heatsink? QFT

While there were a few botnets/rootkits that would cause computers to over-heat, it's unlikely because it would need a massive attack from millions of computers.

Disable the heatsink? QFT

While there were a few botnets/rootkits that would cause computers to over-heat, it's unlikely because it would need a massive attack from millions of computers.

It wouldn't need a massive attack. But it is highly unlikely that this would happen. It would need a few thousand drones/zombies. That was stupid of me to suggest -_- But Once again. Virus wouldn't cause the computer to overheat.

Oh and Cross, Why did you quote my wall of text and say oh my? ;p