Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

So, I don't know what is happening.

BooT

I tried figuring it out on my own, but I cannot seem to find the source of the problem.

The problem: My computer will be running as usual and all of a sudden it freezes up. At other times, it will randomly restart itself. Early today I happened to get a BSOD.

Explanation of the freezing: EVERYTHING STOPS. The mouse doesn't move, the keyboard doesn't type, the music cuts, any game I am playing at the time just stops all together.

This is very frustrating, it is worse than a year ago when Firefox used to freeze every 5 minutes.

I need to figure out a source of this problem.

Things to rule out: - I have scanned my computer several times.

- I deleted all possible programs that were threats.

- Space on my computer, I have 100 of 300 gigs free.

- I just got a new graphics card last year, there is no chance in hell it could be dying.

Thanks in advance.

Check Cpu temps? what was the error messages on BSOD?

im almost 100% certain on this but i believe if its a temp related issue he wouldn't get a BSOD it would be a very loud beep from the mother board accompanied by immediate power cut off. but like i said im not positive but im pretty close.

My suggestion is that you may have a bad hard drive, how old is it?

im almost 100% certain on this but i believe if its a temp related issue he wouldn't get a BSOD it would be a very loud beep from the mother board accompanied by immediate power cut off. but like i said im not positive but im pretty close.

My suggestion is that you may have a bad hard drive, how old is it?

I have heard that beeping noise a few times actually. I think I closed my vent a little bit late before we started the heat up again.

My hard drive is roughly 4 years old.

think it depends on the mobo, i've had mine just power off with no warning. but like you said BSOD sounds like a HD issue. maybe stick of RAM. just trying to throw ideas out there.

I thank you for throwing ideas out there. And as for the temperatures, I don't really know a way of checking that.

what are your system specs?

What specs are you looking for?

Could be a multitude of things, a overheating CPU could explain the random restarts. Bad RAM or a dying HDD can result in the BSOD's you are experiencing. Personally i've had a issue similar to yours and i found the culprit to be that my mobo was leaking power.

I kind of skipped past what the blue screen said, so I don't really remember what it said. It said something about devices though.

I hope it's not the motherboard. I don't have money for a new computer. ):

I have a suspicion in the possibility that you could have a tainted driver (i.e. a poorly written one).

If you can recall if you had installed any recent devices, try unplugging them (or updating their drivers)

Check that, because many BSODs stem from poorly written drivers. Second, be aware that just because you don't get a blue screen doesn't mean there wasn't a kernel panic (bug check) happening.

You mentioned that a blue screen had occured. What was the bugcheck code for it? It looks something like this 0x00000000 or 0x0000007E

If you have the Event Log dump, please also let us know.

I have a suspicion in the possibility that you could have a tainted driver (i.e. a poorly written one).

If you can recall if you had installed any recent devices, try unplugging them (or updating their drivers)

Check that, because many BSODs stem from poorly written drivers. Second, be aware that just because you don't get a blue screen doesn't mean there wasn't a kernel panic (bug check) happening.

You mentioned that a blue screen had occured. What was the bugcheck code for it? It looks something like this 0x00000000 or 0x0000007E

If you have the Event Log dump, please also let us know.

I haven't installed new devices in a long time.

Just two days ago I installed a new driver for my graphics card, is it possible that that is what caused the BSOD?

NOTE:: I did this update AFTER the crashes started happening. THE BSOD was in the middle of it all.

Something I was thinking about is that, all of this started happening once the heat started turning on again because of the weather, and that I think it caused my fans to over heat, not sure. But now that the vent is closed, it happens less and less, so is it possible that that is what the issue was?

I had a temperature problem where the computer kept shutting down. Note: I said shutting down as in power off. Not restarting. Not BSOD. I opened up the case and found that the heatsink bracket snapped and the heatsink was laying on the bottom of the case.

I had another issue with temperature where, in game, the graphics card overheats and slows down. Installing additional fans solved that problem.

So, from the sound of the OP problem, I dont think it is temperature related. Probably a hard drive that is losing connection (check SATA connectors and power plug).

If not that, then one of your RAM sticks went bad. Create a CD-ROM with an image downloaded from http://www.memtest86.com/ or http://www.memtest.org/ and boot with it. It will launch a utility that scans your RAM repeatedly. If you immediately get errors, then you know one of your RAM sticks is bad. If not, let it run over night. Check if any errors have showed up by morning. It will keep going forever so you have to just exit yourself to stop it. If you find any errors, remove one RAM stick at a time and repeat the utility until you have found the bad RAM stick.