Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Helping a friend.

Plaayer

Your initial thoughts are probably saying, " Oh, another one of these threads from Plaayer?" Yes, it is. But this time, it's for sure!

The other day, my friend asked for me to upgrade his PC because he's tired of his computer making him fail whenever it comes to a point of having 20+ marines and marauders in SC2. Of course, I accepted his offer. He gave me 250 bucks and said, "Upgrade my CPU, motherboard, and RAM." He's running all the same stuff(or at least wants too) such as a GPU, HDD, Case, etc. All the items he is keeping is up to date and will work with new parts.

Now here are the real questions that I have:

1. If I upgrade the CPU, motherboard, and RAM, will I have to change anything else such as the HDD being not compatible with other parts of the computer? I ask this because I once tried taking my hard drive, and plugging it in to another persons computer as a main drive, then it BSOD's at bootup of the OS. Everything works, keyboards, video shows up, etc.

2. CPU: I want to go with the most bang for your buck type of stuff, so I chose an AMD processor. However, I can't decide which one to choose. Should I go with the slightly more expensive, less GHz'ed, AMD Phenom II X4 925~2.8 GHz or the cheaper, but higher GHz'ed, AMD Athlon II X4 640~3.0 GHz?

3. Motherboard: Micro-ATX vs. ATX. Is there a big difference besides the size? Should I go with GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-D3 or a MSI 870-G45? Both processors stated above are AM3, so that doesn't change anything.

If you have anything that you can help me with, such as finding a better solution to parts that will be upgraded[such as changing the processor to Intel instead of AMD], feel free to post a reply.

Thanks, and have a nice holiday.

-TehPlaayer.

1. If I upgrade the CPU, motherboard, and RAM, will I have to change anything else such as the HDD being not compatible with other parts of the computer? I ask this because I once tried taking my hard drive, and plugging it in to another persons computer as a main drive, then it BSOD's at bootup of the OS. Everything works, keyboards, video shows up, etc.

It blue screens because it's got drivers that are for that motherboard/cpu setup. There are a few things you'll have to do but EXPECT to have to re-format. (assuming you're on xp)

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/09/how-to-install-a-new-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows.ars

2. CPU: I want to go with the most bang for your buck type of stuff, so I chose an AMD processor. However, I can't decide which one to choose. Should I go with the slightly more expensive, less GHz'ed, AMD Phenom II X4 925~2.8 GHz or the cheaper, but higher GHz'ed, AMD Athlon II X4 640~3.0 GHz?

AMD is always a good choice. Go with the Phenom II, it is the newer architecture, therefore faster clock per clock than the athlon series.

3. Motherboard: Micro-ATX vs. ATX. Is there a big difference besides the size? Should I go with GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-D3 or a MSI 870-G45? Both processors stated above are AM3, so that doesn't change anything.

Not a big difference, usually the micro boards are missing certain features (less ports, less usb). I always try to get a full ATX board if I can, but not a huge deal. Also you're missing ram in this build. I'd go with 4 gigs, ddr2 or ddr3, don't let that be the deciding factor.

Here's what I'd go with for 250, assuming he has a good power supply.

If he doesn't have a GOOD power supply, go with this.

Corsair 650 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Phenom II 3.2ghz x2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103846

Biostar mobo with 4gb DDR3- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.571727

If he doesn't need a power supply

Use same mobo and ram as above. Add the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Or whatever Phenom II quad will fit the budget. I assume no overclocking is going on, so a 3.4ghz quad will be fast for a long time.

Thanks for the fast reply, Terry. I didn't add RAM because I knew it wasn't a HUGE deal. I was going to go with the CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB), but looking at the motherboard + ram that you provided seems like the better deal.

Does the Phenom II X2 3.2 GHz have a big difference in playing games like SC2, Left for Dead 2, or League of Legends versus the Phenom II X4 2.8 GHz?

He's running a 350 watt power supply but is also running a 9400GT (not OC'ed). Will running either of these CPU's need replacement of a new power supply?

Thanks for the fast reply, Terry. I didn't add RAM because I knew it wasn't a HUGE deal. I was going to go with the CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB), but looking at the motherboard + ram that you provided seems like the better deal.

Does the Phenom II X2 3.2 GHz have a big difference in playing games like SC2, Left for Dead 2, or League of Legends versus the Phenom II X4 2.8 GHz?

He's running a 350 watt power supply but is also running a 9400GT (not OC'ed). Will running either of these CPU's need replacement of a new power supply?

The CPU won't make a huge difference, seeing he has a 9400gt, that is going to be his weakpoint. I don't know of any 350watt PSU's i'd trust to power a "gaming" system, so i'd say yes. You need to be looking into a power supply as I'm betting the one he has is pretty cheap.

I got this PSU a year ago and has been great since. Amazing deal and no problems so far. With $250 your gonna want to save as much money as you want on the PSU as it will need upgrading. Power Supply

As for ram, i got 4GB of OCZ Gold, but there is a sale for 4GB of their reaper series.

OCZ Reaper

For the motherboard and CPU i went with an MSI motherboard with on board option to overclock. All you have to do is press a switch and it will automatically OC your cpu safely by 10%, 15% or 20%. Depending on the quality of his case and airflow you might want to avoid OCing but as long as his case isnt a dell or some POS like that you'll be fine.

I got an AMD Athlon 2 quad core processor and it has been smooth as ever. Processor I know the speed seems slow, but with the OC option on the motherboard it will be up to 3.3 ghz with a couple switches

With all of this combined it will be $248 and everything has free shipping.

Something to remember, after replacing these parts he will need to reinstall windows. If he doesnt have an install disk, let me know and i can get you a download for windows 7

I got this PSU a year ago and has been great since. Amazing deal and no problems so far. With $250 your gonna want to save as much money as you want on the PSU as it will need upgrading. Power Supply

As for ram, i got 4GB of OCZ Gold, but there is a sale for 4GB of their reaper series.

OCZ Reaper

For the motherboard and CPU i went with an MSI motherboard with on board option to overclock. All you have to do is press a switch and it will automatically OC your cpu safely by 10%, 15% or 20%. Depending on the quality of his case and airflow you might want to avoid OCing but as long as his case isnt a dell or some POS like that you'll be fine.

I got an AMD Athlon 2 quad core processor and it has been smooth as ever. Processor I know the speed seems slow, but with the OC option on the motherboard it will be up to 3.3 ghz with a couple switches

With all of this combined it will be $248 and everything has free shipping.

Something to remember, after replacing these parts he will need to reinstall windows. If he doesnt have an install disk, let me know and i can get you a download for windows 7

Not to be a dick but.

1. Skimping on a PSU is pretty dumb.

2. There is no benefit of having OCZ reapers over the cheaper ram unless overclocking or you're getting a good deal.

3. Most motherboard have "built in" overclocking these days, which this guy shouldn't be doing anyway.

4. There is a big difference between an Athlon quad and a Phenom II.

Before I finalized everything, I noticed that there was a Antec EarthWatts 650w power supply, which was $10 less. (Newegg's promo code = -$10). Will this be any big difference?

Note: I noticed the cable wraps on the Corsair. Maybe thats where the extra $10 went?

Thats not worth 10$. But right now the corsair has a 10$ off coupon and a 20$ rebate. Also the corsair is a single 12 volt rail (your main power) which is better versus antec triple 12 volt rail.

Awesome. I bought all the parts and they are headed my way in the next couple days. Hope that it all works out! Thanks to everyone who helped, it made the process a lot easier.

Specs on the new rig:

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ 3.2GHz (standard)

4GB of DDR3

Biostar A770E3 AM3 Motherboard

nVidia GeForce 9400GT 512mb

1TB Western Digital HDD

Corsair 650w