Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

New mouse makes computer hang on boot screen

Tommo

For christmas my parents gave me the steelseries xai.

But once i plugged it in and turned my computer on nothing happned, the computer was just stuck at the boot screen.

But once i turned the computer off and unplugged it, the computer would start up as normally.

I have tried different usb slots, but every single time, my computer hangs on the bootscreen while the mouse is plugged in. Help?

Hello,

Mike from SteelSeries support here. I just wanted to provide some clarification into the situation with the boot issue that you have experienced. We are now aware that the products supporting the new USB 3.0 interface may experience issues with the boot sequence, as well as create "flickering" power issues with certain USB devices. USB 3.0 is designed to selectively power devices based on usage and this may be causing a multitude of issues not only with our SteelSeries Xai mouse, but with many legacy USB 1.1 and 2.0 devices. The current theory for our specific case is that since the SteelSeries Xai has to do with the mouse being recognized as two HID devices (one for basic mouse function, second for macros). Since the second HID device is selectively utilized, the USB 3.0 power features may be attempting to power down one of the logical HID devices and not the other, which may bug the mouse's processing/reporting unit. This is only a theory and we are making efforts to further test and diagnose the issue.

We do our best to stay ahead of any product issues and/or incompatibilities that may arise with new technology. Unfortunately, with the vast array of products going to market and constantly evolving technologies, it is inefficacious for us to test the product with every piece of hardware available. We are looking to work with the 3rd party hardware manufacturers to hopefully come to a quick conclusion. In the meantime, we recommend that any of our SteelSeries Xai mouse users that experience a boot issue with the USB 3.0 interface, turn off this feature in their BIOS and contact their motherboard manufacturer.

Lastly, we do not ignore our customer requests or any pertinent information from our website or support system. On the contrary, we look to provide definite and non-conflicting information and support for all of our customers through normalized mediums such as direct 1-on-1 customer support and our FAQ. We appreciate the efforts of our customers to come to issue resolutions together in a timely fashion and especially encourage customers looking to help each other through forums and social media. It is our job to monitor and regulate the information as to help and re-assure our customers to its accuracy.

To close, I would encourage any customer experiencing a product issue to visit our support page at: http://Http://www.steelseries.com/support

Here you can find product drivers, the FAQ page, and also access our 1-on-1 customer support system. We promise to provide timely and friendly service to all of our customers through the mediums given.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Mike S @ SteelSeries Support

You can probably try selecting USB stuff to boot very last in BIOS...or as he said, disable USB 3.0