Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Upgrading to Windows 7 - Need to back up Counterstrike

c00k1em0nst3r

My laptop has a virus right now and it has for a while. We orginally thought I removed it, but it continues to be a pain in the ass. I need to back up my CSS files, but my desktop and program file is faulty. It doesn't have the CSS icon..it's a white page with a window open type of icon.

If I were to restore my laptop, I'd lose everything, but if I redownloaded steam, would I be able to recover my game?

You can also dump the folder "steamapps" in your steam directory to an external HDD.

That might have by allowing you to retain at least some information.

you could probably find yours in: C:\Program Files\Steam\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam)

Once you've upgraded, put the steamapps folder back into the directory you install it (C:\Program Files\Steam...) and let Steam do some work. Should be okay if you put the folder back in after you login :) )

Try it and let us know :X

You can also dump the folder "steamapps" in your steam directory to an external HDD.

That might have by allowing you to retain at least some information.

you could probably find yours in: C:\Program Files\Steam\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam)

Once you've upgraded, put the steamapps folder back into the directory you install it (C:\Program Files\Steam...) and let Steam do some work. Should be okay if you put the folder back in after you login :) )

Try it and let us know :X

I always just copied my counterstrike folder from the account folder in the Steam file structure, dropped it into a new Steam install (prior to reinstalling CS, of course), and anything you might be missing will be downloaded when you try to launch CS. Since you have a virus, make sure you scan that folder before you drop it in the clean install.

If you don't have any skins or anything like that you may want to keep, it might just be easier to download the whole thing again and go eat a sammich.