Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Help me pick a pc

PitBull.

You want to build one or buy one?

From a quick look at best buy's offers, I could buy this one, and spend the other ~150 you have left on some GeForce gfx card, simply because I dislike ATI.

If you're building, you have to pick the cpu, gfx, and than we can build on those..

Like.. Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Boxed Processor - $200, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - $160, than a processor with AM3 socket, and at least 1x PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot, something like the 870A-G54 Socket AM3 870 ATX Motherboard - $120, and a stable PSU with ~700w-800w, and PCI-E 6-pin connection, something like this Extreme Power Plus 700W ATX Power Supply - $50, this comes out to ~ $530. Than you put in some memory, I think two of those 2GB DDR3-1333MHz memory cards from Crucial would be sufficient for gaming, its $30 each, so add $60 to $530 you get ~$590, than a hard drive, whatever suits your taste... I would get like a 250gb Barracuda for $40 and I would have more space than I would ever need, really. Summing it up, ~$630 for all of this but we don't have a case... I'm not really a big fan of 'showing off' whats inside the box, so I would get a simple atx tower with a couple slots for fans, make sure it comes with fans and that the motherboard fits. With a budget of $70 you can buy a nice case with capable cooling, it would be sufficient to run your pc. Viola, rest is just connecting and having fun, installing annoying drivers for all components, but otherwise everything else should fit easy.

Also, note that if you can sacrifice your current pc, you could get some parts out of it. If you have like 2gb DDR3 memory, you could just get 1x of the one I suggested, its $30 in your pocket or going to the tower budget. Your pc also has a hard drive, which doesn't matter if its ATA or SATA, you'll connect it to your new pc and you can save another $40 :]

Edited by DjLemonic

You want to build one or buy one?

From a quick look at best buy's offers, I could buy this one, and spend the other ~150 you have left on some GeForce gfx card, simply because I dislike ATI.

If you're building, you have to pick the cpu, gfx, and than we can build on those..

Like.. Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Boxed Processor - $200, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - $160, than a processor with AM3 socket, and at least 1x PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot, something like the 870A-G54 Socket AM3 870 ATX Motherboard - $120, and a stable PSU with ~700w-800w, and PCI-E 6-pin connection, something like this Extreme Power Plus 700W ATX Power Supply - $50, this comes out to ~ $530. Than you put in some memory, I think two of those 2GB DDR3-1333MHz memory cards from Crucial would be sufficient for gaming, its $30 each, so add $60 to $530 you get ~$590, than a hard drive, whatever suits your taste... I would get like a 250gb Barracuda for $40 and I would have more space than I would ever need, really. Summing it up, ~$630 for all of this but we don't have a case... I'm not really a big fan of 'showing off' whats inside the box, so I would get a simple atx tower with a couple slots for fans, make sure it comes with fans and that the motherboard fits. With a budget of $70 you can buy a nice case with capable cooling, it would be sufficient to run your pc. Viola, rest is just connecting and having fun, installing annoying drivers for all components, but otherwise everything else should fit easy.

Also, note that if you can sacrifice your current pc, you could get some parts out of it. If you have like 2gb DDR3 memory, you could just get 1x of the one I suggested, its $30 in your pocket or going to the tower budget. Your pc also has a hard drive, which doesn't matter if its ATA or SATA, you'll connect it to your new pc and you can save another $40 :]

someone needs to read the initial post... he has gift cards for bestbuy and im guessing a little bit of cash too so he must use only best buy

i also would recommend building (but never go amd and nvidia since you can only sli gpus with like one amd mobo) either go amd ati or intel nvidia or ati. ati and nvidia are the same right now pound for pound but that is off topic..

the problem with buying a pc for 700 is that it is very hard to get one with a gpu in it haha

so at best buy i would go with http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i5+Processor+/+6GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/1243294.p?id=1218240378146&skuId=1243294

i would pick the hp with the amd phenom in it but it doesnt tell me exactly whay cpu it is so all i know it could be a dual core haha

but the one i linked is made by asus which i imagine has a decent motherboard in it which is really nice for upgrading

the i5 650 is a little beast for a dual core

it has integrated graphics so you will need to save some cash for a new gpu if you plan on gaming

do you need a monitor to? if you dont what res do you play at? (so i know what gpu you need)

hope i helped

very helpfull, thanks

I didnt realize i can just buy parts from bestbuy actually lol, im thinking now im just gonna build one. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-PCs/Video-Cards-PC-Components/abcat0507000.c?id=abcat0507000 i got like 700 to spend at best buy so im sure im gonna have to put some more money in, so i dont have to get EVERYTHING at bestbuy. no old parts at all just a big old monitor lol

any ideas?

thanks agian

someone needs to read the initial post... he has gift cards for bestbuy and im guessing a little bit of cash too so he must use only best buy

i also would recommend building (but never go amd and nvidia since you can only sli gpus with like one amd mobo) either go amd ati or intel nvidia or ati. ati and nvidia are the same right now pound for pound but that is off topic..

the problem with buying a pc for 700 is that it is very hard to get one with a gpu in it haha

so at best buy i would go with http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i5+Processor+/+6GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/1243294.p?id=1218240378146&skuId=1243294

i would pick the hp with the amd phenom in it but it doesnt tell me exactly whay cpu it is so all i know it could be a dual core haha

but the one i linked is made by asus which i imagine has a decent motherboard in it which is really nice for upgrading

the i5 650 is a little beast for a dual core

it has integrated graphics so you will need to save some cash for a new gpu if you plan on gaming

do you need a monitor to? if you dont what res do you play at? (so i know what gpu you need)

hope i helped

The problem with best buy is that its so expensive... And I didn't know it had parts to sell lol. Either way, I'm running a mATX board with a Phenom II x2 550/9600 GT, 2gb of ram, and I have yet to come across a game I can't play, any lag I face is due to comcast being fail provider. Also, you can see the cpu under product features, you linked an i5-650 processor.

I think it would be cheaper buying a pc than building it on best buy, it would be much simpler as well, though you would have to upgrade the gfx card because the ones they usually come with are most of the time garbage.

(but never go amd and nvidia since you can only sli gpus with like one amd mobo) either go amd ati or intel nvidia or ati. ati and nvidia are the same right now pound for pound but that is off topic..

Not true. All graphics cars are cross compatible. I wouldn't go with AMD just because it's made in sweatshops and if you decided to overclock later, intel boards are always the better road to take.

Nvidia is more for overclockers as well...plus some of the manufacturers like EVGA have awesome customer support. EVGA makes both boards and cards and have a 90-day step up program (buy a motherboard and/or gfx card, if a newer one is released after purchase within 90 days, you can exchange it for free).

Not true. All graphics cars are cross compatible. I wouldn't go with AMD just because it's made in sweatshops and if you decided to overclock later, intel boards are always the better road to take.

Nvidia is more for overclockers as well...plus some of the manufacturers like EVGA have awesome customer support. EVGA makes both boards and cards and have a 90-day step up program (buy a motherboard and/or gfx card, if a newer one is released after purchase within 90 days, you can exchange it for free).

i thought you had to flash the card but i was mistaken thanks crosshair and as a beginner bencher i can tell you Amd intel ati nvidia all dont matter to a overclocker..its easier to get points with a amd card because they start at lower clocks then nvidias but they clock higher when Oc'd so its easier to get boints :P but nvidia still wins the big points because they do better on the benches them selves :P (im not a fanboy my next card will most likely be a gtx 580 coming November)

Anyways i also no for a fact that evga and most gpu companies outsourced to china or Taiwan or already based there haha

24x Internal Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive

Corsair - 2-Pack 2GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM Desktop Memory Kit

XFX - ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card ..if you can get more money into this build go with the gtx 460 for 200$ but if your playing with a low res monitor get the 5750 460 will be a overkill

Corsair - Professional 650-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply ...its expensive but its the only one at BB i would buy because its modular and its 80plus certified

Antec - Nine Hundred II Computer Case my pick but it doesnt really matter

AMD - Black Edition Deneb Phenom™ II X4 Processor 955 ..im sure some people will be in here to say intel is better....they are right intel is better but there also more expensive either get a amd quad for this price which will help gaming or a intel dual which wont be as good for gaming

Asus - ATX Motherboard 1800/1600/1333/1066MHz (Socket AM3) i have owned this mobo and only had one problem with it(im a retard and stripped a mobo screw) had to get the drill and drill it out board still works today

$753.93 for all that unless you live in cali like me haha then its a lot more

add 100 for the operating system and that should be about it all at best buy

AMD made in sweat shops, hah.

Intel/NVIDA/ATI/AMD all overclock well if you know what you're doing. Picking one brand assuming its better because you "think" it doesn't overclock well is retarded. I can tell you from personal experience that they all overclock well. Just depends on what's in your budget.

For customer service ATI has "XFX" which is from my experience better customer support than EVGA, but not by much, both are good.