Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Time to upgrade. Need some help

I gotta get some stuff.

basically, I can reuse my psu, ssd, hdd, and case..and soundcard.

I can get a i7 950 from a store close to me for $200

Its a Nehalem core and I don't really know what that means if anyone can elaborate that it would be cool. and Im lookin at neweggs open box deals for mobo's like dis one maybe. You guys think open box stuff is a good idea?

I game, but not crazy enthusiast. Dont know much about the x58's and im wondering if this is my best option.

Also... I need a video card and ram. Need some advice bro's. Gotta purchase these asap. Could spend up to 250 on a card.

Budget for each piece?

EDIT: I've set you up.

CPU + RAM

Motherboard

Graphics

Optional:

CPU Cooler

Reasons:

1. CPU: It is the latest tech and is probably better than the i7 you provided, and it's only 25 dollars more.

2. RAM: Combo w/ the CPU. Great price. 4GB's is enough for gaming. If you need more, get more, you got enough slots in the motherboard.

3. Motherboard: I chose this because it has 2 PCI Express x16's and I'm pretty sure it is ready for SLI + Crossfire. It also has some SATA 6.0 + USB 3 ports, so it's ready for the future.

4. Graphics: Chose this card because it's great, I have it and it works incredibly. If you need more firepower, slap on another one.

5. CPU Cooler: Although this is optional, it's highly reccomended. This is the most bang for your buck type of cooler. You won't be doing major OC'ing with this, but it gets the job done on mild ones. You can probably find a better one for more money.

If anyone has got an opinion, please post.

Edited by Plaayer

Okay, here's the thing. That motherboard is going to be overkill for a $250 videocard. You could save some money and go with the ASUS Sabretooth X58 or maybe the Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 and put the rest in a triple channel DDR3-1600 kit and a better video card. As for video cards, the AMD Radeon HD 6870 or the GTX 470 if you perfer Nvidia are good options. You can find a good 6GB kit of RAM for around $90.

Hope that helps. :D

I have a gigabyte board now. p45. Looking to change manufacturers.

cef good points, I do prefer nvidia and will prolly go with that ASUS 470 over plaayers EVGA 460 even to evga is super sexy...

plaayer. great point, ima dump that i7 idea and go with the new tech i5 sandy. that build looks sexy, right in the price range too.

i could reuse my 2 year old cpu cooler too.

I just gotta run this combo by my irl friends but im sure they'll approve.

One of my questions though you guys didn't answer is, what if I found a similar mobo like plaayers but on open box deal. I could save some cesh? new>open box, or doesn't matter?

Thanks bros

Usually, open box stuff don't come with some of the goodies such as cables, driver CD's (which aren't really needed, since everything is online now), and manuals to help with the installation process. I don't trust open box's because I wouldn't want to see some things missing or some crazy defect which can lead to some other bad things, but that's just my opinion.

Also, I actually found the same processor for $15 cheaper.

Intel i5 2500 3.3GHz

I'm just going to take a whack about the difference, but the "K" at the end of the processor name on my first post, probably means it is an unlocked processor. I'm assuming this because it's the same as their previous i5/i7 cores (not Sandy Bridge). If you're going to be doing overclocking, which in my opinion is not needed for quite awhile, go with the one stated in my first post.

Usually, open box stuff don't come with some of the goodies such as cables, driver CD's (which aren't really needed, since everything is online now), and manuals to help with the installation process. I don't trust open box's because I wouldn't want to see some things missing or some crazy defect which can lead to some other bad things, but that's just my opinion.

Also, I actually found the same processor for $15 cheaper.

Intel i5 2500 3.3GHz

I'm just going to take a whack about the difference, but the "K" at the end of the processor name on my first post, probably means it is an unlocked processor. I'm assuming this because it's the same as their previous i5/i7 cores (not Sandy Bridge). If you're going to be doing overclocking, which in my opinion is not needed for quite awhile, go with the one stated in my first post.

right on, I actually found some for 180, I just gotta pick it up.

The K does mean unlocked, and I might go with this mobo instead of yours.

Its got some new kind of "bios" called UEFI BIOS and bluetooth.

Alls I need is ram and I'll prolly go with 2 4gig sticks in 1600. They'll probably have some good shit at the store when I go in to get that i5.

Ok, or I put his together with my friend: cheaper ram, cheaper mobo the 6950 and the i5 I gotta pick up. came to $697

Edited by Never trust a hippie

I would personally go for something like below since you don't want to go with a gigabyte board. Not sure why you want 8 gigs, waste of money. Spend the money on a pair of quality, low lat ram so you can achieve some good overclocks. If you have no plans on overclocking, then forget I said anything.

G-Skill Cas 7 ram - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231278

Biostar Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138289

Edit: Its all set. I should have it together by friday.

Here's what the system will be now: (I'm happy)

CORE i5 2500K sandy-bridge

ASUS P8P67 LGA 1155

G.SKILL ripjaws series 8GB(2 x 4GB)1600

XFX HD 6950 2GB

G.Skill phoenix pro series 120GB internal SSD reused

western Digital caviar black HDD 1TB 7200 RPM reused

CORSAIR 750TX 750W PSU reused

LIAN LI lancool PC-K7B ATX mid tower reused

HT | OGEMA striker 7.1 reused

went over budget a lil

Edited by Never trust a hippie