Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Having trouble creating a partion...

Enjuaguese

I watched (and read) some tutorials on how to create partions in Windows 7, and have had no trouble with it until I got to the..."partion making" part itself.

I right click on my C: drive, and click shrink. After a minute or so, the screen pops up and then that's when I'm supposed to put in the specific MBs of how big the partion will be.

That's where I'm stuck...It won't let me put any value in, unless I copy and paste it into the dialog box itself. Even then, it still won't let me "shrink" the drive...

Heres a screenshot of the box:

capture.png

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

You have an unmovable file stopping you, from reading up. Probably paging file, you could turn it off temporarily.

Type in command prompt "fsutil volume querycluster /?" to see what is stopping you

Here's the full article from microshaft

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731894.aspx

I put that in the command prompt, but now I'm lost...it shows this:

7f1167b4c66a7de52484efb4e8f7a201.png

Try defragging first then doing it

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731894.aspx

When you shrink a partition, unmovable files (for example, the paging file or the shadow copy storage area) are not automatically relocated and you cannot decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable files are located. If you need to shrink the partition further, move the paging file to another disk, delete the stored shadow copies, shrink the volume, and then move the paging file back to the disk.[/QUOTe]

I put that in the command prompt, but now I'm lost...it shows this:

7f1167b4c66a7de52484efb4e8f7a201.png

To find the number of unmoveable cluster that is preventing Disk Management utility to shrink the partition, you can see Event Viewer for event 259. Or you can just calculate this cluster number given the available space to shrink the partition by and the cluster size.

Basically try to shrink it, it'll give you that error and go to event viewer and it should give you the details. At work right now on win XP so I can't test it myself.

Finally found a good article, read this.

http://www.devproconnections.com/article/storage/Q-I-m-trying-to-shrink-an-NTFS-volume-but-the-shrink-value-possible-is-far-less-than-my-free-space-What-s-wrong-.aspx

Edited by Terry Taco