Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Where to buy a computer?

Geno

OK, so I'm looking to buy a computer within the $900-$1200 range probably $1000 and I'm looking to see if anyone has any suggestions that know computers better than me about where to buy it from and what to get?

INB4 Build your own, I've never built one... so that isn't really an option

No to all the above, Go to http://www.newegg.com/ and look at Asus, they're like the Toyota of the computer world. They are power houses, built buff at the begging, with room to grow, IF you want. I've bought all of my computers there(Compact Desktop - Dual core, Toshiba - Dual core). Asus are a little pricey, but in your price range, so pricey for me.

If you aren't building your own, I'd go with http://www.Digitalstormonline.com. Best Service I've seen. Somewhat pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Agreed with Kirk. I highly recommend digitalstorm pc's.

For 1100$ you can get a AMD PHII 6 core overclocked, aftermarket cooler, 1TB 7200rpm drive, GTX 460 and 4 gigs of ram and everything else you need off digital storm

Comes with a 3 year warranty as well.

never heard of um, but I've read a lot of reviews about Ibuypower and Cyberpower and theirs a lot of unhappy customers, but this place seems way overpriced

They aren't the best, i'd spend the money at digitalstorm.

Call Terry Taco.

lol, I can only help local people with builds ;)

No to all the above, Go to http://www.newegg.com/ and look at Asus, they're like the Toyota of the computer world. They are power houses, built buff at the begging, with room to grow, IF you want. I've bought all of my computers there(Compact Desktop - Dual core, Toshiba - Dual core). Asus are a little pricey, but in your price range, so pricey for me.

You say "power house" and then "toyota" LMFAO!!!!! Get out of here. The only asus gaming computer on newegg is a recertified system with a 300watt power supply.

28rf508.jpg

Agreed with Kirk. I highly recommend digitalstorm pc's.

For 1100$ you can get a AMD PHII 6 core overclocked, aftermarket cooler, 1TB 7200rpm drive, GTX 460 and 4 gigs of ram and everything else you need off digital storm

Comes with a 3 year warranty as well.

Do you recommend the AMD x6 Core over the I7's from intel?

From a raw performance standpoint, I still think Intel is better.

However, in multithreaded applications, I would say AMD offers a fairly competitive (if not just as good) value!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/12

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289635&page=2

http://www.techtalkz.com/general-hardware/522107-core-i7-amd-phenom-ii-x6-2.html

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/05/06/amd-phenom-ii-six-core-1090t1095t-thuban-review/

It seems to boils down to personal preferences for gamers.

Do you recommend the AMD x6 Core over the I7's from intel?

Depends on what you can fit in your budget. The price difference between the two shouldn't be much. If you aren't going to have it overclocked, I'd go AMD as it has a faster default clock for the $

I would go with the amd. Im not much for intel and the i7s are just ridiculously overpriced. Phenoms are great especially their new line of 6 core processors.

You can get an i7 for around 200$, so you are 100% wrong about price. Yes the PH II line is great.

From a raw performance standpoint, I still think Intel is better.

However, in multithreaded applications, I would say AMD offers a fairly competitive (if not just as good) value!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/12

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289635&page=2

http://www.techtalkz.com/general-hardware/522107-core-i7-amd-phenom-ii-x6-2.html

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/05/06/amd-phenom-ii-six-core-1090t1095t-thuban-review/

It seems to boils down to personal preferences for gamers.

Intel is faster in multi-threaded apps, there is no doubt about that. But for gaming, the difference is minor. Your money is better invested in more ram or better video cards.

Any other recommendations from their site, because I've been looking at it and for like 1100+ you get an i3, but for the same you get a AMD 6x?

Also, do you recommend taking all the overlock boosts?

Edited by Geno

You interested in Sandy Bridge? Newest tech, but they are fixing a couple bugs still.

Building a PC isn't that hard. You can find multiple tutorials on YouTube, some of them are good, some are not. Get what YOU want, and what would be good for what YOU do. Also, make it future proof, you don't want to spend $1000 every year.

Any other recommendations from their site, because I've been looking at it and for like 1100+ you get an i3, but for the same you get a AMD 6x?

Also, do you recommend taking all the overlock boosts?

i3 is the budget i series, the AMD 6 core will destroy it. I recommend getting the CPU cooler upgrade and the overclock yes. Video overclock I wouldn't bother. If you're serious about ordering there I can help you configure it.

i3 is the budget i series, the AMD 6 core will destroy it. I recommend getting the CPU cooler upgrade and the overclock yes. Video overclock I wouldn't bother. If you're serious about ordering there I can help you configure it.

I'm probably going to research a little more then order it within the next week, but that'd be sick if you could help out cause I'm pretty retarded when it comes to building these things

Alright, So I'm buying my computer today and I'm favoring Digitalstorm, but it seems like at Cyber Power I can get more for my buck yet Digitalstorm seems like a better more trustable company. At Cyberpower I can get the I7 and a better graphics, but idk so I need a pro's opinion, but it seems from reviews that DigitalStorm is a much better company in terms of service,etc so I might give up the upgrades just for the more secure purchase.

Digital Storm

Case: HAF 922

Processor: AMD Phenom ll X6 1090T Black Edition

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-M LE (AMD 880G Chipsets) (Socket AM3)

System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz

Power Supply: 500W

Hard Drive: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)

Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x/CD-Writer 48x)

Internet Acess: High Speed Network Port

Graphics Card: 1x Nvidia GeForce 450 1GB (EVGA Brand)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Cooling: H20 Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (120mm Radiator)

Internal Lighting: Lighting System (Blue)

CPU Boost: Overclocked

Video Boost: Overclocked

OS Boost: Overclocked

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit

Game: Free got selling game with NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above

Free Shirt

3 Year Warranty

Cyber Power $1394

* Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage (Black Color)

* Internal USB Extension Module: None

* Neon Light Upgrade: None

* Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans

* Noise Reduction Technology: None

* CPU: Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366

* Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

* Cooling Fan: XtremeGear Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

* Motherboard: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durableâ„¢3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

* Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

* Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+31] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

* Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors

* Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

* Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

* Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

* Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

* Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

* Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

* Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

* Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

* USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

* Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)

Edited by Geno

I'd still go with DS. Better investment if you ask me. I'd upgrade the PSU to at least 750w though. Also I probably wouldn't go with the asetek liquid cooling. I'd go with the Noctua NH-D14, things a monster, but it all depends on what you are willing to spend.

$1271.00

If you're getting the overclock, no reason to pick a faster CPU, the 1055t will overclock the same.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Black Edition (2.8GHz) (6 Core) (6 MB Cache) AM3 Socket

System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Certified

Expansion Bay: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)

Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks

Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)

Add-on Card: - No Thanks

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (120mm Radiator) (Great Value)

H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected

Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)

Enhancements: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)

Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory

Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)

Virus Protection: - No Thanks

Office: - No Thanks

Benchmarking: - No Thanks

Install/Test Game: - No Thanks

Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: - No Thanks

Keyboard: - No Thanks

Mouse: - No Thanks

External Storage: - No Thanks

Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks

Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

$1271.00

If you're getting the overclock, no reason to pick a faster CPU, the 1055t will overclock the same.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Black Edition (2.8GHz) (6 Core) (6 MB Cache) AM3 Socket

System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Certified

Expansion Bay: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)

Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks

Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)

Add-on Card: - No Thanks

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (120mm Radiator) (Great Value)

H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected

Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)

Enhancements: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)

Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory

Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)

Virus Protection: - No Thanks

Office: - No Thanks

Benchmarking: - No Thanks

Install/Test Game: - No Thanks

Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: - No Thanks

Keyboard: - No Thanks

Mouse: - No Thanks

External Storage: - No Thanks

Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks

Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

So you recommend sticking with DS and the 1055t AMD over trying to go intel or to the 1090 AMD. Also you think thats fine for cooling?

So you recommend sticking with DS and the 1055t AMD over trying to go intel or to the 1090 AMD. Also you think thats fine for cooling?

Yes I do, I wouldn't want to deal with ibuypower or cyberpower's customer service. You really can't beat a 3 year warranty on a gaming pc. The performance diff doesn't justify it.

There is no difference between the 1055 and 1090 amd if clocked to the same speed. Yes that cooler will work well, its pretty good.