Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Internet Problem

Rudabaga

Alright so here's the problem. I get perfectly fine ping during the morning and afternoon. Around 9:30 PM CST I get really bad lag and can't manage to play CSS. It happens even if I'm the only one using the internet. It just started happening about 5 days ago and I really would like it to stop because this is the time I usually play.

My internet provider is Charter.

http://charter.com/

<>

http://www.pingtest.net/

Run a few tests and see if any of them report unusual statistics.

--------------------------

Can you download files alright? For instance, try downloading a file that would take a reasonable time, note the speed when you're downloading it.

It should be relatively equal to the speed advertised. (e.g. if they advertise 15 Mbps, your speed should be around 1.875 MBps)

---------------------

Check that no background processes are interferring with your game (if you have installed any new software recently, it may affect sys performance)

--------------------

You can try resetting WinSock if you want. [i personally, don't think it's likely that this would solve the issue, but things have happened]

http://windows7themes.net/repair-reset-winsock-windows-7.html

---------------------

Call your ISP!

oooo you gots charter as well!?! So do I and i know exactly why it does it cause it happened to me once before, and it has been starting this for me too. It will only do it at night for the most part. I am guessing you have cable/modem? Then if so it's just the company updating and sending signals out. More than likely a problem has occurred, charter isn't really pro at fixing things in a fast pace. So do like me wait it out :\

Canned answer time:

- Make sure you're running WPA2 if your router or modem is wireless capable

- Reboot the modem

- Reboot the router

- Make sure your computer isn't running some kind of scheduled maintenance, download or update. Or torrents.

- Worst case, run a speed test from speakeasy or somewhere like that, and if the results are obscenely bad, call your ISP and bitch. If it's cable, there are things they can do to change bandwidth allocations, and even if they can't do anything, maybe they can be suggested into giving you a partial refund for missed days.