Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Dell Dimension E510

Slayer

Dell Dimension E510.. Blinking Yellow Amber Light. Ever since a power outage in my area ive been experiencing this.( IT IS/WAS A SURGE PROTECTOR) When I try to boot the pc I get this blinking yellow lite. The first day it happened I took the cover off to see if there was any burn marks on the motherboard or around the capacitors and make sure EVERYTHING was in contact, everything seemed to be fine. Walked away for about 5 or ten minutes came back to it and it fired up. I havent had this happen till last night and tonight and its been working for about 3 weeks id say with no problems (till last night). I did the same things as i did the day of the power outage. Tonight was the longest I messed around with it, was starting to get a little upset, i tried removing the CMOS battery and booting and nothing, I was doing a little research on some other forums on the dell site. Seems to me alot of people are having this problem, the time range for most is about 2 years or so. Ive personally had this pc for about 4 or 5 years. I was seeing some replacing the motherboard and still had the same problem same replace the power supply some did work and some didnt. I read 1 post that a guy replaced both and everything worked just fine. A other guy did both and still had the same problem. Then I came across this post reading this guy just re-positioned his power supply wires in a different angle and it worked....... I did and then I finally got it booted. IF anyone knows anyone that has a good solution or the same problems has this PLLLLLLEASE post back. I know its probally time to update just the whole pc. Im in a situation where I can't. I also just noticed when I go into my control panel and go to power options and go to UPS this is what I see:

Stats-

Current power sourse:

Estimated UPS runtime:

Estimated UPS capactiy:

Battery condition:

Details-

Manufacturer: (NONE)

Model: BLANK

(! With a hazard sign around it) The UPS service is currently stopped.

Any help would be very much appreciated. ALOT! Thank you

Open up your computer and look at the capacitors on the motherboard. You probably have leakage through some of them. If a capacitor is bulging on top or the sides you know it is bad. That is most like the case to your issue. Otherwise just trouble shoot, start by swapping out your power supply with another of equal wattage, then go into your motherboard, then GPU, then your Ram, then HDD. More then likely it is a motherboard or power supply issue. Good luck.

Open up your computer and look at the capacitors on the motherboard. You probably have leakage through some of them. If a capacitor is bulging on top or the sides you know it is bad. That is most like the case to your issue. Otherwise just trouble shoot, start by swapping out your power supply with another of equal wattage, then go into your motherboard, then GPU, then your Ram, then HDD. More then likely it is a motherboard or power supply issue. Good luck.

Well said.

my guess is on the power supply. If your surge protector did kick in, it probably took away a lot of the shock but not all of it. It's extremely circumstantial. I'd say, get a power supply and test whether it will POST or not. Let us know.