Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Which one is better?

SovietWaffles

My friend is going to get into computer gaming and has 2 choices:

Alien Ware Aurora

OR

Custom made rig.

He has enough money to buy the Aurora and would prefer a custom rig just as good or better for equal price or maybe less.

If you have an opinion on the matter just post it and if you have a good rig you can post that too.

I'd say go for the custom rig. It's not that hard to do. You won't get all the eye candy of the case that Alienware provides, but I'll see what I can do in a build vs. the Aurora.

EDIT: Looking at the Aurora, its not bad after you factor in that the $1200 price is with the "lowest" products, but still could do better.

Here's the list of parts:

1. Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz

- This comes with the standard Intel cooler. If you want a better cooler, go for the Hyper 212+ for air, or Corsair H50/H70 for liquid.

2. MSI P67A-C43

3. G. Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

4. XFX HD6950 1GB

5. Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200

6. Corsair TX750 750w

7. Cooler Master CM690 II

8. LG DVD Burner

9. Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

With this build, it totals up to $1247.89 with tax and shipping to the SoCal area. That is still relatively less than the Aurora, which is $1345.45 after the California statewide tax rate of 8.25%, without shipping. So, this build is somewhat better than what you get for the $1200 you spend on the Aurora.

EDITx2: After customizing the Aurora on their website with similar parts to the build above, it came out to be $2179.00 without tax and shipping. That price, astonished me.

Edited by Plaayer
added parts