Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

AntiVirus Question

Kurosaki Ichigo

Okay, so, a friend of mine told me that AntiVirus programs eat up your memory. Is this true or not and if it is true, should I keep my antivirus program or delete it? Here are my computer specs.

Machine name: XW6200-1

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: hp workstation xw6200

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Memory:3072MB RAM

Processor: Intel® Xeon CPU 3.60GHz (4 CPUs)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 9600 GSO

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0610&SUBSYS_23851682&REV_A2

Display Memory: 768.0 MB

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0012.6658 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Edited by Kurosaki Ichigo

Well seeing as though I have 3GB or RAM, do you think I should just leave it alone for now until it gets worse or try running my computer without the AntiVirus though I get this warning saying that my computer might be in danger.

Should be fine, I wouldn't uninstall it.

With 3GB ram you should have any difference at running games..i use Bitdefender 2011 wich is a bit "heavy" and all the games runs how they suppouse to be and im using 4gb ddr3 of ram ...so you should be fine.I dont recommend uninstalling the antivirus otherwise it could be worse if you get a virus and start slowing your comp.

Is a process it takes page memory and some of your ram when is running (wich is all the time since you enable it to be 24/7) i would recomend you bitdefender 2011..it have a game mode..wich disable some of the features in order to run faster (with 3 gb u dont need to do it since it will run at the same speed without problem).

Would be also better that you get at least 500GB of HD not just for the antivirus because 74gb is not that much this days.

okay... to straighten this a bit out

Page files are usually double the size of your RAM.

If you want to find out how big your PF is..

type dxdiag..

datmemories.png

Windows by default allocates that amount

In your case, it'd use about 4-8 GB of HDD space. It may sound like alot but you shouldn't have to worry as this is the ENTIRE page file space not just allocated to the AV program.

Yes, AntiViruses use up CPU cycles and RAM but they also protect your system as Windows has an affluent amount of viruses.

Honestly ppl you dont need a antivirus program if you know what your doing.Most ppl have antivirus programs that boot when the pc starts and continuously scans there pc *bad idea* 1)Takes more memory when auto starts 2)tears into your hdd (a hdd is like a record player it has an arm that goes back and forth over a plate,so if your hdd is constantly being scanned and your trying to do something the arms is sliding back and forth and this is how so many ppls hdd's break).

Steps to not rly need a virus program.

1)Dont open any emails that have attachments from ppl you dont know.

2)When going to a website not known by you and the yellow install bar comes down and says you need this to view this page.look to see first if you can see what you came to that page for *This is how ppl get stupid adware viruses and popup*

3)Stop downloading pr0n*If you can catch a virus from a woman in a bar you can online also hehehe*

Tampa's Guide to never catching viruses and never had to use a virus program on his personal computer.

But if you are going to use a virus program use malwarebytes doesnt chew threw memory and is the only one that honestly will clean your viruses up i have had 1,000's of computers i have worked on that had virus programs ranging from Norton,Avira,AVG and those programs didnt clean the virus even after they were updated but Malwarebytes is excellent at keeping there program updated.

Although education and awareness is necessary, AV programs are a good thing to have no matter what.

I'm not sure why you believe that you can't ever catch a virus (this reason is commonly attributed by Mac/*nix users) [just by care surfing or awareness of what you're doing] but sadly to say, there are viruses for all platforms, and can happen any time even with training and awareness.

For instance, many freeware programs that seem (and act) legitimate, but they can be TROJAN horses.

So first of all ,having no AV will not allow some form of heuristics taking place so that there is a chance of it stopping.

trojan horses can damage your computer and/or steal any personal information. They can replicate across computers and introduce other worms/viruses.

Another common example is ActiveX (if you're using Internet Explorers), since it is vulnerable and digital signatures can be forged to look (legitimate), users can take a bona fide presumption that it is non-malicious.

1)Dont open any emails that have attachments from ppl you dont know.

2)When going to a website not known by you and the yellow install bar comes down and says you need this to view this page.look to see first if you can see what you came to that page for *This is how ppl get stupid adware viruses and popup*

3)Stop downloading pr0n*If you can catch a virus from a woman in a bar you can online also hehehe*

I agree with those three points, but they are not enough to stop a determined phisher or hacker to destroy your computer (or computers).

Finally to address the performance aspect, YES there are many AV programs out there that use up an excesive amount of memory but that is absolutely no justification for not having one in the first place.

There are many reviews of AV software you may want to consider to read.

I havent ever used a virus program lol and have never got one so im doing something right . :) been doing computers since they were introduced to homes and have spent the past 14years running my own electronic repair store.I write several different codes.Im so old school i use notepad to create web pages lol.

Once again, like I said training and awareness makes a huge difference already but it is not the only measure for preventing malware hitting your computer.

Another example,

Windows like any OS, has flaws and exploitable code. Worms can be written to bypass (and use these) flaws to wreak havoc upon users computers.

Anecdotal tales do not justify him not getting one either...

Okay well I installed Malware and we will just see what happens. Ill give it a week and if nothing changes Ill do a week test without an AntiVirus and if anything happens then yeah... But really and truly all I need is a bigger HDD. I'm disgusted with how small my HDD is that I just want to throw my computer out of the window. My grandpa wont freakin buy me a new HDD because he says that I don't need all that space cause I wont use it....

It depends on what you use it for.

If you're downloading a lot, you can definitely justify getting a larger hard-drive.

Caveat, without an AV program, you can be infected easier. Another reason to get an AV program esp. if you download alot.