Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Question about the voltage of my Athlon 635.

Mush

Alright I have an Athlon 635 X4. I just installed cpu-z and notice that the core voltage was 2.23. I'm not vary computer smart but I've noticed people with the same chip have much lower core voltage usually around 1.39. After reading on google I did notice that the voltage is usually 1.25. I can't figure out why mine is so high. If anyone could give me an answer on if I should lower the voltage I would appreciate it.

By the way I just installed a new 500 watt PSU from my old 250 watt.

Edited by Mush

i just found a program called AMD overdrive. Hopefully I can fix the problem through there.

EDIT: AMD overdrive says my volt is 1.4 so I think cpu-z is having a problem reading my board.

Edited by Mush

Musheen you shouldnt be messing with core voltages on a software side. That is very very dangerous. Any tweaking should be done in the BIOS, but make sure you know what you are doing.

I didn't mess with anything. I belive that cpu-z is having problems reading my mobo because amd overdrive said my voltage is fine.

It's best if you do all voltage / OC work BIOS-side. Plus most modern BIOSes have a dummy O.C. if you don't think you'll do it right.

Most of the time its a Memory issue than CPU with OCing - if you got good RAM, fairly decent CPU, and excellent air / water cooling than you go very far.

I could hit 4.0 GHZ on mine but my RAM can't handle it - i am maxed at 3.6

It's best if you do all voltage / OC work BIOS-side. Plus most modern BIOSes have a dummy O.C. if you don't think you'll do it right.

Most of the time its a Memory issue than CPU with OCing - if you got good RAM, fairly decent CPU, and excellent air / water cooling than you go very far.

I could hit 4.0 GHZ on mine but my RAM can't handle it - i am maxed at 3.6

I got 6 gigs of ram. I'm pretty sure the voltage is fine and I think when nothing is going on on my computer my Multiplier stays at a lower number. Like I said earlier I belive it was a problem with cpu-z reading my motherboard.

I'm not really worried about overclocking it I just dont want it to get fried after only having it for 2 weeks.

Also for some reason my bios won't let me do anything with the CPU.

I got 6 gigs of ram. I'm pretty sure the voltage is fine and I think when nothing is going on on my computer my Multiplier stays at a lower number. Like I said earlier I belive it was a problem with cpu-z reading my motherboard.

I'm not really worried about overclocking it I just dont want it to get fried after only having it for 2 weeks.

Also for some reason my bios won't let me do anything with the CPU.

You are right about the Multiplier lowering when nothing is being processed. If you want to disable it, it is called AMD Cool'n'Quiet in your BIOS.

You are right about the Multiplier lowering when nothing is being processed. If you want to disable it, it is called AMD Cool'n'Quiet in your BIOS.

is there any other way to disable it because my bios is homo and wont let me do anything with my processor?