Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Help with Magicka

Remix

Now I just got a new laptop, it has iGPU and dGPU and I have it switched on dGPU. The dedicated graphics card is a Nvidia gt 540m. The problem is when I launch Magicka it doesn't do anything, it goes black then closes. Any help? There is no reason why I can't play Magicka if I can play Borderlands and GTA 4 on high.

Display 15.6" HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1366 x 768)

Video & Graphics Card 1GB GDDR3 Nvidia GeForce GT 540M GPU with Optimus Technology / Embedded Intel HD Graphics

CPU Processor 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.00GHz) [$30.00]

Thermal Compound Stock Standard Thermal Compound

Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )

Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2 X 2GB

Primary Hard Disk Drive 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive [$20.00]

Optical Drive Bay  Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software

Wireless Network Card Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module

Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack

Microsoft Office New! Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price

Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warrant

Assuming iGPU = Integrated Graphics and dGPU = Dedicated graphics,

{

The following instructions are for nVidia, however many users claim the similar process works for ATI and Intel HD:

If you're using a newer laptop that you know has an NVidia graphics card, try checking your Optimus settings. Open the "NVIDIA Control Panel" from your start menu. On the lefthand side, under "Select a task...", open the "3D Settings" tree, and select "Manage 3D Settings". Now on the righthand panel, click the "Program Settings" tab. Under "1. Select a program...", click "Add", navigate to your \Steam\steamapps\common\magicka vietnam directory and select "Magicka.exe". Under "2. Select the preferred graphics...", choose "High-performance NVIDIA processor", then (VERY IMPORTANT) click "Apply" in the bottom right.

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20990778

}

{

hmm you can always try as well reinstallating the game to another directory, if it is going through Steam for instance, scan the integrity of cache files

}

{

Apply a shim to the game and see how Windows 7 reacts to it, although I doubt it would do anything significant.

1. Right click on the program's shortcut (LNK file), .EXE file, BAT file, CMD file, or MSI file.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: If the Compatiblity options are grayed out, then it is a 64 bit program and cannot be changed.

}

If that fails submit a support ticket with them: http://www.magickagame.com/support

This happened to me before. What you need to do is, go into your Magicka folder there are 2 programs that you need to run, who's names I have forgotten. I would tell you what these names are, but I'm about 6 hours away from my house on a trip.