Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Router Question

Okay so, as many of you already know, I'm probably the ONLY HG member with the most computer problems then anyways else. But that's besides the point. The reason I'm posting this thread is because I want a second opinion on this issue I am having. Okay, so, the issue is, my router does not like Counter Strike 1.6 for some reason, yet I seem to have no problems with Counter Strike: Source. Does Counter Strike 1.6 run off of a different engine or what? I just don't understand how my router works fine with Counter Strike:Source, yet, it doesn't want to connect to any Counter Strike 1.6 servers.... All I want to know is, is there something wrong with my router or what? If you are not going to help me, then you might as well not respond to this thread, period. I have done and tried everything I could to get my router to work for Counter Strike 1.6. I am now on the merge of frustration and really could use some assistance.

I can run CSS fine. However, I cannot run TF2 or 1.6 how it should, the servers do not come up. A simple game restart fixes it for me, though. I don't think its your router.

& yes, 1.6 does run on a different engine. 1.6 runs on the Half Life engine and Source, quite obviously runs on source...notice the graphical differences? :D

2Wire is a router brand that has been reliable for a number of years for me. Port-forwarding is easy on this router too, I've been able to host and find games multiple times.

But what I don't understand is why does Counter Strike:Source work fine, but not Counter Strike 1.6 or Counter Strike:Condition Zero? Doesn't make any sense to me. Oh and by the way. I am not the only one that uses the internet in my household. So yeah...

Edited by Kurosaki Ichigo

Many of the same TCP/UDP ports (most of the time, they go between 27010 - 270xx) are shared between CSS/CS.

If you've installed CS, recently, have you checked your firewall?

In regards to port forwarding...

Most new routers can pass through the ports necesary without having to directly port forward anything. (some use UPnP that will adapt automatically, in a sense)

For instance, I have no port fowarding enabled and I can run most games smoothly (this is a WRT160NL, not that new).

2wire is what ATT DSL users use. I have used a Belkin N+ router for the past....4-6 years? (That doesnt sound right...) Anyway, I have had no real problems from it. The only BIG issue is the lack of ports you can forward. You can only forward like 20? 25? But I have my firewall on (cause if I dont, XBL gets screwy) and I dont have any ping or connection issues on CS:S. As for 1.6? Dunno, havent bought it.

Many of the same TCP/UDP ports (most of the time, they go between 27010 - 270xx) are shared between CSS/CS.

If you've installed CS, recently, have you checked your firewall?

In regards to port forwarding...

Most new routers can pass through the ports necesary without having to directly port forward anything. (some use UPnP that will adapt automatically, in a sense)

For instance, I have no port fowarding enabled and I can run most games smoothly (this is a WRT160NL, not that new).

what she said, also if you are searching for severs in the server list in 1.6, it won't work. The server list has been all messed up so join the HG 1.6 server from the website.

It's possible your firewall will allow HL2.exe (the binary for CSS) but not HL.exe (the binary for CS:CZ/1.6)

you might want to check that.. if you have Windows firewall (Windows 7)

Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall" -> "Change Settings " -> "Allow another program" -> "Browse" -> browse to your CS1.6 directory and double click "open" -> make sure it has popped up on the list -> check Home/Work and Public on (if you're not sure what Windows firewall setting zone you're on)

As for other firewalls, I wouldn't know right off the top of my head

I don't understand why we are assuming it's his routers fault, it's most likely his computer problems, if you state what is exactly happening in your cs 1.6 I would be able to tell you your problem easily.

I would refrain from spending a couple hundred dollars on a good router tell you narrow it down to the problem, but the fact that your able to use CS:S means that you don't need anything stronger. Honestly if I had to guess with the limited background you've given its your firewall.

Okay it is my router because every other game works. Just not Counter Strike 1.6, nor Counter Strike:Condition Zero. Those are the ONLY two games out of all games that I have played, that wont work for me. So technically speaking, it is my router. Yes I have a crappy computer, but I connect to every game just fine, but for some reason, not the two I have listed many of a time.

Okay it is my router because every other game works. Just not Counter Strike 1.6, nor Counter Strike:Condition Zero. Those are the ONLY two games out of all games that I have played, that wont work for me. So technically speaking, it is my router. Yes I have a crappy computer, but I connect to every game just fine, but for some reason, not the two I have listed many of a time.

Lol go ahead and spend money on a new router but make sure its returnable, I'm pretty sure that's not the issue, it really sounds like firewall like I said before. 1.6 and Condition Zero probably use the same ports and are both blocked

no cookie there are routers out there back then that had problems with certain firmwares.His router is listed as not working with certain firmwares installed.Back in the day you had to have certain routers to play xbox1 cause alot didnt support it. So to some up router firmwares make a difference.I could give him a firmware that says working but might not be perfect it says.But i dont think he has the computer swag to flash the box honestly ,no offense ichi :)

The question to whether you've attempted to play Counter-Strike with your firewall completely disabled still hasn't been answered?

I think this will help us out a lot...

I will try that tomorrow. I have a major headace and Im going to go to bed soon.

Okay, so, this morning I did a final test to see if this could fix the issue. Here is what I did and the result of this final test

1)I turned off Windows Firewall

2)I disabled Wireless Zero Configuration

3)Went to 2 servers and here were the results.

On the first server I tested it on, I was in the game for maybe a good minute, then I got disconnected, checked my console and got this error (CL_ParseServerMessage: IllegibleServerMessage - svc_bad) Now, I did my research on why I would get an error like that and I found out that it is because I have sv_lan on 1 instead of 0. So, I changed the sv_lan from 1 to 0 and went on another server and got this error (Host_Error: UserMsg: Not Present on Client 149)

So, with that being said I have come to the conclusion that it is, in fact, my router (firmware). Now, I did ask my grandpa about why I would get such an error, and he said this "You are behind 2 firewalls. 1 being the regular 1 and another one being Verizon FIOS. Now, I'm not sure if that makes any sense at all but he did say I was behind 2 firewalls. So, I have decided that I will not worry about this issue until I get money to buy the proper tools needed to fix this issue. I want to thank everyone who tried to help me fix this issue. So, I would like to ask a staff or council member at this time, to please, lock this thread.